Regular season St. Louis Blues point total

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I really think every player on this team could be better than last year. Barring injuries, we could be much better than people think.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I want them to be 6'2, 198 lb RD Artyom Levshunov/ 6'3, 194 lb LD Sam Dickinson bad but will settle for 6'0, 181 lb RD Zayne Parekh bad. At least we get a dynamic puck mover and PP hammer with a hilariously similar last name of a current D man. #Parekh-Oh!# Explosive skater, strong 1v1 defender using positioning and stickwork and an absolute sniper from the backend. He looks like Dunn on performance enhancing drugs, love this kid. So please Blues, please please fall waaaaay short. I need to see some Levshunov in a Blues jersey or at least get Parekh-Oh!

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Something in the low 80s would be nice to land another pick near #10, but realistically, I'd guess 92 if I had to pick an exact number. Which would also be good to see as that would probably indicate an improved defense, which means this team is much more capable of the retool Army has been talking about rather than a tear down rebuild.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why do you all think we're going to suck? Same defense as the year before last that performed very well. We're only missing ROR and Tarasenko really. We're also much faster, with Kap and Vrana. The change back to a legitimate defense structure is the biggest change. God, MacTavish literally trashed an entire year of our franchise.
I'm probably closer to your outlook than the 'this team is going to be a dumpster fire' outlook, but I think there is a pretty reasonable argument for believing that the issues were more than just the assistant coaches.

We weren't a good defensive team in 2021/22. We weren't nearly as bad as last year, but it was still an average to below average performance defensively. At 5 on 5, we were in the bottom third of the league in scoring chances against, high danger chances against, expected goals against, and shots against. We finished 18th in total goals against at 5 on 5 and 15th in goals against per 60 at 5 on 5. That included getting 38 starts worth of .919 goaltending from Husso and 37 starts of .901 goaltending from Binner. Husso went 25-7-6 while Binner went 18-4-4.

We also got an unbelievable offensive performance out of a lot of guys, including several who aren't here anymore. Tarasenko led the team in goals and points with 34 and 82. Barby had 26 goals and 60 points (both 5th on the team). Perron had 27 goals (4th) and 57 points (8th) in 67 games played. ROR didn't have a monster offensive year (21 goals and 58 points) but excelled in a very clear shutdown role.

That's 108 goals from 4 forwards that are no longer on the team and .919 goaltending through 38 starts from a goalie who is no longer on the team. Those contributions were extremely important in overcoming what was a middling defensive group. I've got a lot of faith in Hofer, but I will be very surprised if he puts in 35+ starts of top 5-10 NHL goaltending this season. I'm high on Vrana, but I don't see a 30+ goal AND 40+ assists season in him. I think Hayes is being underrated and could effectively replace ROR's production, but he won't be nearly as good defensively as ROR was in 2021/22. I don't see any of Blais/Kap/Sunny/Neighbours stepping into the roles/production that we got from Barby/Perron.

I think the forward group meets in the middle a bit, which could be enough for the team to be a 95-100 point team rather than a 109 point or 81 point team. Same with the goaltending. I also think it is reasonable to believe that the D will be better than last year and get back to the 2021/22 levels of performance. But that still wasn't a good defensive group that year. It was still a below average defensive group.

Special teams are a question mark too. In 2021/22, our PK was 84% in 2021/22 (5th) and the PP was 27% (2nd). That combo earned us a bunch of standings points and the coaches in charge of them are no longer here. They were awful last year. The PP was 19% (22nd) and the PK was 72% (30th). The coaches in charge of them are also not here anymore. I think it is fair to worry about special teams.

I tend to agree that a change in defensive structure will be very helpful. But there is no guarantee that it gets us back to 2021/22 levels and that team wasn't great defensively either. Given the roster changes everywhere else and the lack of experience from the new assistants, I think the pessimism is warranted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xerloris

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its very simple

we overachieved 2 yrs ago, insane shooting % and a PP that carried em
we underachieved last year.

we will be battling for a playoff spot but are not a serious contender. i dont mind aslong as the team is likeable and fun to watch. last year was the most unlikeable blues team in my life. with the recent cards play, this city needs a team that is likeable.

Reactions: Xerloris

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
its very simple

we overachieved 2 yrs ago, insane shooting % and a PP that carried em
we underachieved last year.

we will be battling for a playoff spot but are not a serious contender. i dont mind aslong as the team is likeable and fun to watch. last year was the most unlikeable blues team in my life. with the recent cards play, this city needs a team that is likeable.
STL_Logo_480x480.png

Reactions: oPlaiD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad