Regular Season Points Scoring

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This is an idea that I've heard kicked around, some time ago, regarding how points might be awarded for regular season play.

A regulation time ( 60 minutes ) win gets 3 points
An overtime or shootout win, gets 2 points.
An overtime or shootout loss gets 1 point
A regulation time loss gets 0 points.

Pro's or Cons ??

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I would like to see the league go back to the old format. Play 60 minutes and accept the score as it is. Get rid of the shoot outs and OT. I do find the OT and shoot outs exciting but it is something that was forced on players and fans. Just my old fashioned opinion.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agree 100%. Best part? No loser point. I’d add a quick scrape after 60 min.
Yes, this is what an friend of mine would like to see ( he's an official). 3 on 3 extended to 10 minutes so no need to stop and scrape the ice. Get rid rid of the non hockey shoot out. It would make the game end as an actual hockey game.

I do like the international 3 point game though. It forces teams to play for a win and not try to coast to a tie.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, this is what an friend of mine would like to see ( he's an official). 3 on 3 extended to 10 minutes so no need to stop and scrape the ice. Get rid rid of the non hockey shoot out. It would make the game end as an actual hockey game.

I do like the international 3 point game though. It forces teams to play for a win and not try to coast to a tie.
Not a fan of three points for a win in OT. I doubt many games would go the entire 10 minutes anyway. Especially if you augment the rules a tad. A ban on carrying the puck back past center ice preventing teams from playing “keep away” during OT would be a start. This circling back taking turns ragging the puck while you do line changes should stop. Wastes time. Adding a rule like this would force more turnovers = more scoring chances.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Agree 100%. Best part? No loser point. I’d add a quick scrape after 60 min.
Ha, thought you came up with a very innovative idea there. I initially read that to "add a quick scrap after 60". :) Winner of the scrap wins the game.

Im ok in having ties after 60. If going to the 10 minutes OT in a 3 in 3 weekend with the last game usually Sunday afternoon, it could lead to serious fatigue in the players if the other two games went into 10 min OT. Yes, I do agree about the 10 mins OT probably wouldnt be all that common if at all.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The problem with all of this of course is that the OHL is just adopting the NHL format. The change needs to happen at the top.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The problem with all of this of course is that the OHL is just adopting the NHL format. The change needs to happen at the top.
Not necessarily true. Fight rules are different in the OHL from both the NHL and Whl. Also minor hockey teams only play a 15 minute period so rules can and are altered between leagues.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Although true, I can't see them changing this particular rule though. Fighting rules are different for safety reasons.

I'd love to see them change overtime at both levels. 3 on 3 and shootouts are not hockey. But the NHL has determined that the fans like the gimmick, and the OHL's job is to develop players to play at the next level. Can't see it changing unless it changes at the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad