Post-Game Talk: Regular Season Game #1: Pens @ Caps | 4/26/18 | 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Cool?

None of that changes really any part of what I said. They're flocking there because the land is cheap and there is an influx of college students, I didn't even read the article and I know the answer to the question. The point about it being a "just fine" city stands. If it's the closest city to you it does the job, it's never going to be a city that anyone sees as their destination.

But sweet job tourist board of Pittsburgh...

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Cool?

None of that changes really any part of what I said. They're flocking there because the land is cheap and there is an influx of college students, there are a ton of great and big universities in that area. I didn't even read the article and I knew the answer to the question. The point about it being a "just fine" city stands. If it's the closest city to you it does the job, it's never going to be a city that anyone sees as their destination.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Cool?

None of that changes really any part of what I said. They're flocking there because the land is cheap and there is an influx of college students, I didn't even read the article and I know the answer to the question. The point about it being a "just fine" city stands. If it's the closest city to you it does the job, it's never going to be a city that anyone sees as their destination.

Disagree. I've lived in Paris, Weisbaden, Boston, Cincinnati and Tampa. Pittsburgh is terrific.

And the article clearly obviates your point. Pittsburgh IS a destination for these companies. That's the whole point of the article.

Companies like the ones in the article (which you didn't read, how telling) are very attuned to quality of life. Competition for talent is keen. Low crime, excellent food scene, cultural assets disproportionate to a tertiary city, good schools, are big pluses.

Oh and a pretty good hockey team.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Disagree. I've lived in Paris, Weisbaden, Boston, Cincinnati and Tampa. Pittsburgh is terrific.

Companies like the ones in the article (which you didn't read, how telling) are very attuned to quality of life. Competition for talent is keen. Low crime, excellent food scene, cultural assets disproportionate to a tertiary city, good schools, are big pluses.

And what exactly is the draw to Pittsburgh vs. NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, etc.

Again I'm not saying Pitt is unlivable, I'm saying it's fine, and I imagine that for someone who grew up there it's likely more than "fine". But as a person who also has lived in that area I'm telling you it's not comparable in terms of what it brings to the table as other major metropolitan areas. No one is going out of there way to live in Pitt because it has "an excellent food scene", literally every city I've ever been to has an excellent food scene, it's a natural part of a city. If you want to rank it as one of the best tertiary cities, cool, but understand it's a tertiary city because again, the draw to live there is less than most other cities.

Pitt is a lot like Cincy. When I visited Cincy I asked people what there was to do, most of what was offered seemed like it would be great if you were from the surrounding area and had no other access to that sort of stuff outside of Cincy (zoo, sports teams, food, breweries, museums, etc.) that being said nearly everything that was proposed was in many ways something I had access to in DC but was a step down. When I've gone to cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, New Orleans, etc. the things they have to offer to a tourist are things that I know are unique, among the best in the world, and something that other cities can barely compete with.

And that's where I'm leaving this. Would I be torn to shreds if my company forced my to move to Pitt? Nah, not at all. Would I circle it on my list if they offered me a bunch of other options? Unlikely.

Also if it makes you feel better I wouldn't want to live in Tampa or Boston either. Boston obviously fits my bill of having a lot to offer, I just have never enjoyed my time there for various reasons. Tampa is a fine city too, it's very Pitt of the south. I have no issues with it... it's just Tampa, ya know?

I don't know much about Wiesbaden but I think I could make Germany work. Never been to Paris, would like to visit.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What if we lose 1-0 on a deflection with 50 SOG for Pens, you still make the "adjustment"?
We didn't really get outplayed in that game. We need to make some minor adjustments. Trotz might wanna try to match Backstroms line against Crosby. Even though our first line scored both if our goals they got hemmed in the defensive zone a lot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hornqvist.even if it was a deflection. BH.didn't cover well.
Too bad for wash though goal from kuz and especially Ovie's were as beaute
You are very unrealistic. The puck wasn't just deflected but he was screened by his own dman. He pucked up the puck too late. BTW there was nothing wrong with his positioning on that goal.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The Penguins hold each other to high standards and are clearly open about it when they feel like guys aren't living up to that. I can't imagine the Caps ever being like this, the closest we ever get is passive aggressive exit interviews that throw more passive shade then a sorority all hands meeting.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

And the article clearly obviates your point. Pittsburgh IS a destination for these companies. That's the whole point of the article.

Apparently not enough to keep the fans of that hockey team from wandering around on other team boards looking for reasons to Pensplain things

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Geeze, guys, relax. It's game 1 of a series that we all thought they would probably lose. Some of the overreactions in here are absurd.

Yes that's a bad way to lose, but it's still just 1 game. The Caps lost their first two in the last round.

If they had to lose G1 this is an ideal way for it to happen. If they don't learn from this humiliation and improve then they don't deserve to advance.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The draw is quality of life. You seem to confuse being a tourist and living somewhere. About my favorite place to visit is Brazil. Live there? Not on a bet.

Cheers.

I thought Pens fans favorite place to visit was the steps of the National Portrait Gallery outside the arena?

Why always the steps? Won't they let yins in?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
zGHQb4O.gif

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_8-50-45.gif
    upload_2018-4-28_8-50-45.gif
    474.5 KB · Views: 1

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Geeze, guys, relax. It's game 1 of a series that we all thought they would probably lose. Some of the overreactions in here are absurd.

Yes that's a bad way to lose, but it's still just 1 game. The Caps lost their first two in the last round.

If they had to lose G1 this is an ideal way for it to happen. If they don't learn from this humiliation and improve then they don't deserve to advance.
We'll lose the next one tomorrow, then go on a tear and win 4 straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad