Regina or Halifax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squiddy said:
Jays are not headed down that path. They average a decent crowd and they have sucked for more than 10 years. Also mr Rogers is loaded (if you didn't know) and he bought the Skydome for dirtcheap price which someone like A-rod could have bought. Now he owns the Rogers Centre (a.k.a Skydome) and the Jays and finally he is putting some money into the product (BJ Ryan is a done deal it seems). Jays aren't going anywhere, so you can stop wishing death upon them just because montreal lost their expos. I, myself, have moved over to the Jays side. The Nationals are only successful because they started winning this season, but give it a few years and watch washington fall off the map like it did twice before.

I didn't mean the Jays would be leaving, nor do I want them to (in fact, I don't really care much about baseball anymore but it's nice Canada has a team). I meant they will be a consumate low- to mid-level also-ran team that will be able to compete once every 4 or 5 years before its good players get siphoned off by the big ($$) market teams. Sure Rogers got the Skydome for almost nothing (which is considered a dump now in the new stadium era) and sure he's gonna pump some more money into the payroll to try and avoid being an also-ran. I hope it works. I doubt it will. The simple fact is they lose $$ (before the new payroll investment for the next 4 years) but Rogers needs the programming for Sportsnet, like how Rupert Murdoch bought the Dodgers to be cheap programming on Fox Sportsnet many years ago (then bailed when NewsCorp started divesting non-core assets).

The owners are making an investment to try to draw more fans and viewers, the exchange rate is much more favourable and will be for the foreseeable future, and there is a lot more corporate $$ in Toronto, so the Jays should be fine to stay in TO. But they won't likely be able to compete and if at some point Rogers decides he's sick of losing $$ they'll either gut the team or try to sell. In this sense, they are following Montreal's path circa early 90's -- build a good farm, get the most out of the first 4-5 yrs of great players, and draw a below average crowd (ranked 23rd of 30 last year, their best in 4 years), eek out an existance and watch the big boys steal your talent every winter for prospects and draft picks.

Until baseball fixes its model, four or five teams will always compete and the rest will try to get the stars to align. The Jays are now a stars align team, just as the Expos became in the mid-late 80s.

And the fact the hockey fixed its model is why an NHL team is now viable in a smaller market -- like Halifax in 10 years if the city keeps growing the way it has been. ;)

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Squiddy said:
WHL is crappy... futurerock don't bother wasting your time with Western Canadians because they'll totally ignore anything anyone has to say and continue with their cloudy judgement.

The WHL is not a crappy league. It is one of the 3 highest junior hockey leagues in the world. When you consider that there is the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL. Where you find almost all the elite junior players in the world.

As far as future NHL players go, the three major leagues here in Canada are the equivalent of watching the elite US football and basketball college teams play for their sports in the US.

I am not going to say that Regina will ever get an NHL team, but they have very good hockey available in Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Swift Current with the WHL teams.

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
Squiddy said:
WHL is crappy... futurerock don't bother wasting your time with Western Canadians because they'll totally ignore anything anyone has to say and continue with their cloudy judgement.
How many WHL games have you seen?

I don't care if the WHL isn't pro, junior hockey is more exciting than NHL hockey by a large margin.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
grego said:
The WHL is not a crappy league. It is one of the 3 highest junior hockey leagues in the world. When you consider that there is the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL. Where you find almost all the elite junior players in the world.

As far as future NHL players go, the three major leagues here in Canada are the equivalent of watching the elite US football and basketball college teams play for their sports in the US.

I am not going to say that Regina will ever get an NHL team, but they have very good hockey available in Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Swift Current with the WHL teams.
Another good reason why Saskatchewan doesn't need pro hockey -- They've got all they need in Juniors

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
Squiddy said:
:biglaugh: Yeah that's why the Giants are kings in Vancouver... I forgot.
Who said that?

The NHL will always be more popular in this city, but it doesn't take away from the fact that junoir hockey is more exciting hockey to watch. People will disagree with me, but most of them don't take the time to actually watch.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
CF said:
Who said that?

The NHL will always be more popular in this city, but it doesn't take away from the fact that junoir hockey is more exciting hockey to watch. People will disagree with me, but most of them don't take the time to actually watch.

Yeah that's it... it's all just us... you are the only one that actually knows quality. :sarcasm:

Moon Man*

Squiddy said:
Yeah that's it... it's all just us... you are the only one that actually knows quality. :sarcasm:

So... have you ever watched any CHL hockey?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kevin Forbes said:
No, professional hockey has failed here because the city doesn't support losing teams. Did you go to any Herd games two years ago?

Halifax's attendence in their worst season in Franchise history 2003/2004 was still over 7,000

Their best avg attendence was 8,400 in the mem cup year.

Halifax fans support the Mooseheads no matter what their record is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->