Regina or Halifax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
WHL is crappy... futurerock don't bother wasting your time with Western Canadians because they'll totally ignore anything anyone has to say and continue with their cloudy judgement.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Where exactly did I say WHL was pro-hockey? I said that's what I and many others would rather see. Clearly we couldn't support both, so given the choice we'd rather have WHL teams. The WHL is crappy? Oh right, I forgot the hockey hotbed that is Houston. Nevermind the fact that Saskatchewan produces more NHL players per capita...and guess what league they all come from...the WHL! Imagine that!

Secondly buddy, you came in here and started the argument by saying "Stop with the battle of saskatchewan please... this is like relevant to 5 people on this message board." If you didn't feel like reading a topic about Sask, then maybe don't enter the thread that says Regina.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
CCF said:
Where exactly did I say WHL was pro-hockey? I said that's what I and many others would rather see. Clearly we couldn't support both, so given the choice we'd rather have WHL teams. The WHL is crappy? Oh right, I forgot the hockey hotbed that is Houston. Nevermind the fact that Saskatchewan produces more NHL players per capita...and guess what league they all come from...the WHL! Imagine that!

Secondly buddy, you came in here and started the argument by saying "Stop with the battle of saskatchewan please... this is like relevant to 5 people on this message board." If you didn't feel like reading a topic about Sask, then maybe don't enter the thread that says Regina.

LOL ... listen "BUDDY" any place in Saskatchewan is not attractive to any PRO league. WHL isn't pro and the CFL is only pro in canada. When Wild bill tried to buy the Blues and move them to saskatoon the NHL laughed at him and told him to take a hike. Stick to your WHL league because that's all you guys in saskatchewan are gonna get.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Squiddy said:
LOL ... listen "BUDDY" any place in Saskatchewan is not attractive to any PRO league. WHL isn't pro and the CFL is only pro in canada. When Wild bill tried to buy the Blues and move them to saskatoon the NHL laughed at him and told him to take a hike. Stick to your WHL league because that's all you guys in saskatchewan are gonna get.

Uhh again, you're the only one who is mentioning WHL as pro. I don't even understand what you are attempting to argue here. Stick to your AHL because that's all Houston is going to get.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
CCF said:
Uhh again, you're the only one who is mentioning WHL as pro. I don't even understand what you are attempting to argue here. Stick to your AHL because that's all Houston is going to get.

If that's true I'm happy with it being a rangers fan and all, but I know for a fact that the NHL is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more interested in houston than it is with Saskatchewan.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Uhhh...

I'm from Regina, I spend my days between Regina and Saskatoon. I would love to see a team in Regina, but I think it comes down to not having enough corporate sponsors. Although the population of Regina is small, like the Riders, the team would draw from all across Sask. which has a population of one million. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it would be nice to put hockey in a place where it's deserved.

Who are you????

When did I say that the NHL was interrested. I don't even know what you are attempting to argue here. You keep coming back with "The WHL isn't pro." Honestly, I have no idea what you are attempting to accomplish.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
CCF said:
Thank God, because frankly I'm not a racist and I don't feel the need to kill all gays.

This next quote makes me think otherwise, stereotyping races?

CCF said:
The only way Saskatoon makes 300,000 is when more aboriginals leave the reserve
and move to the city.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Ozolinsh_27 said:
This next quote makes me think otherwise, stereotyping races?

How can that even be seen as racist?!

It's no secret that the aboriginal population is increasing at a rapid rate andconsidering the amount of reserves around Saskatoon, it isn't hard to put two and two together.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Thread closes in 3...2...1

As for the WHL comment -- the idea is that people claim that Regina could sustain an NHL franchise.

No, they couldn't.

Why? Where's the profressional hockey team?

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
CCF said:

It's no secret that the aboriginal population is increasing at a rapid rate andconsidering the amount of reserves around Saskatoon, it isn't hard to put two and two together.

Are you frickin nuts, there are more aboriginal folks in Regina than Saskatoon from day one. Why not mention the reserves around Regina and the rest of the Cities in Saskatchewan. 40% of Prince Albert population is Aboriginal. Don't leave Regina out of this equation that you started with your stupid quote.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
CCF said:
Scott Torunament of Hearts - Regina 1982, 1998, Saskatoon 1991
Memorial Cup - Regina 1980, 2001, Saskatoon 1989

Regina also holds the record for largest attendance in Canada for the Scott.

What were you saying?

Because Saskatoon hasn't hosted the Scott yet. If they did they would have the record by mid week.

Yes, Saskatchewan is light years better than Manitoba.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Squiddy said:

Wild Bill bought them in 1983 and NHL led by Harold Ballard turned them down. Wild Bill had 18000 season tickets sold in 2 weeks. Hub City and Saskatchewan hockey fans everywhere would have droven 3 hours to see them.
They also would have sold out that building for years. But, they would lost the team right around the same time as Winnipeg and Saskatoon and Saskatchewan would have had to pick that financial burden for a long time. Quit knocking Saskatchewan hockey fans and stick to the AHL where no one watches your games.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
Wild Bill bought them in 1983 and NHL led by Harold Ballard turned them down. Wild Bill had 18000 season tickets sold in 2 weeks. Hub City and Saskatchewan hockey fans everywhere would have droven 3 hours to see them.
They also would have sold out that building for years. But, they would lost the team right around the same time as Winnipeg and Saskatoon and Saskatchewan would have had to pick that financial burden for a long time. Quit knocking Saskatchewan hockey fans and stick to the AHL where no one watches your games.

I don't even watch the AHL so what kind of insult is that? I'm from saskatchewan and I can knock it all I want.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
CCF said:

Yet its no more difficult to imagine the fact that both cities take in an amount of refugees every year, coupled with students moving from rural areas to attend university, there are foreign students moving to Regina and most likely Saskatoon for the same reason, not to mention job relocation and former Saskatchewan residents moving home after many years of living elsewhere.

I can't wrap my mind onto how you managed to bring the population of aboriginal people into a what was an intelligent discussion about Regina or Halifax sustaining a NHL team and still continue to harp on about their population. The bottom line is there isn't enough people in either Saskatoon or Regina to support an NHL team night in and night out. Hell, Regina has a hard time supporting their WHL team even when it was in the CHL top 10 rankings and couldn't even fill up a 4000+ venue when Team Canada & Team USA women's teams were here earlier this year.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Ozolinsh_27 said:
Yet its no more difficult to imagine the fact that both cities take in an amount of refugees every year, coupled with students moving from rural areas to attend university, there are foreign students moving to Regina and most likely Saskatoon for the same reason, not to mention job relocation and former Saskatchewan residents moving home after many years of living elsewhere.

I can't wrap my mind onto how you managed to bring the population of aboriginal people into a what was an intelligent discussion about Regina or Halifax sustaining a NHL team and still continue to harp on about their population. The bottom line is there isn't enough people in either Saskatoon or Regina to support an NHL team night in and night out. Hell, Regina has a hard time supporting their WHL team even when it was in the CHL top 10 rankings and couldn't even fill up a 4000+ venue when Team Canada & Team USA women's teams were here earlier this year.

Because the truth of the matter is, that the only demographic in Saskatchewan that's growing, is the aboriginal population. That's why I figured it was justified. How is this a difficult concept? The truth of the matter is that while the rest of the population remains stagnant, the aboriginal population in Saskatoon (not sure of Regina stats) is growing by about 10% per year. Please don't bring racism into the equation, because that's garbage and completely unfair.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leaf Lander said:
montreal baseball fans had 10 yrs to get over it and they didnt so they lost the team and rightfully so

Thats a shame!

Still offtopic, but... Montreal was a perfect storm of an eroding fanbase, poor ownership, poor government support, limited corporate support availabiity, lousy exchange rate, poor league support and a horrible league business model (i.e., Yankees and friends driving up everyone's costs).

All of those things conspired to destroy the baseball product in Montreal. Didn't really have much to do fans "getting over it". (And I won't even start on the stupidity of Brochu trying to sell his new stadium by bad-mouthing the big Uh-Owe, which then became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And the Jays are headed down the same path as Montreal (as are teams like KC) if baseball doesn't do what hockey did and fix their economics so 15 teams aren't out of it on the first day of spring training.

In the end, my point was population alone is not indicative of whether a sport will be successful in a geography. After all, the Expos moved to an area half the size of the one they left and are now considered a success...

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
CCF said:
Because the truth of the matter is, that the only demographic in Saskatchewan that's growing, is the aboriginal population. That's why I figured it was justified. How is this a difficult concept? The truth of the matter is that while the rest of the population remains stagnant, the aboriginal population in Saskatoon (not sure of Regina stats) is growing by about 10% per year. Please don't bring racism into the equation, because that's garbage and completely unfair.

Yet it was the first thing you brought up when you mentioned its the only way Saskatoon will ever hit 300,000 people.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Ozolinsh_27 said:
Yet it was the first thing you brought up when you mentioned its the only way Saskatoon will ever hit 300,000 people.
Yopu're only hearing what you want to hear. Nevermind.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
JKP said:
Still offtopic, but... Montreal was a perfect storm of an eroding fanbase, poor ownership, poor government support, limited corporate support availabiity, lousy exchange rate, poor league support and a horrible league business model (i.e., Yankees and friends driving up everyone's costs).

All of those things conspired to destroy the baseball product in Montreal. Didn't really have much to do fans "getting over it". (And I won't even start on the stupidity of Brochu trying to sell his new stadium by bad-mouthing the big Uh-Owe, which then became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And the Jays are headed down the same path as Montreal (as are teams like KC) if baseball doesn't do what hockey did and fix their economics so 15 teams aren't out of it on the first day of spring training.

In the end, my point was population alone is not indicative of whether a sport will be successful in a geography. After all, the Expos moved to an area half the size of the one they left and are now considered a success...

Jays are not headed down that path. They average a decent crowd and they have sucked for more than 10 years. Also mr Rogers is loaded (if you didn't know) and he bought the Skydome for dirtcheap price which someone like A-rod could have bought. Now he owns the Rogers Centre (a.k.a Skydome) and the Jays and finally he is putting some money into the product (BJ Ryan is a done deal it seems). Jays aren't going anywhere, so you can stop wishing death upon them just because montreal lost their expos. I, myself, have moved over to the Jays side. The Nationals are only successful because they started winning this season, but give it a few years and watch washington fall off the map like it did twice before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad