Regina or Halifax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Why is this and other threads like this keep popping up?

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! (at least not in the next 20 years, and probably not even after that, unless there is some big change in the population demographic).

I mean, it is good to be patriotic and all, but that version of the NHL is gone....

This is almost like convincing some folks that "Elvis is indeed dead".... :shakehead

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
You guys are kidding right? Regina would lose a team in like 6 months and Halifax... well they don't even have a CFL team yet. CANADA IS NOT GETTING ANY MORE TEAMS. Six teams is enough for the country considering it has only 30 million people... You guys are just being naive.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squiddy said:
You guys are kidding right? Regina would lose a team in like 6 months and Halifax... well they don't even have a CFL team yet. CANADA IS NOT GETTING ANY MORE TEAMS. Six teams is enough for the country considering it has only 30 million people... You guys are just being naive.

32 M people. A lot of whom are hockey fans. Contrast with the US where most people would rather watch poker. I suspect a team in Hamilton would do just fine and better than any more new teams in the US, I suspect Winnipeg might be able to do well now as well. And you could easily put another team in Toronto itself. The question was Regina and Halifax. And neither are in a position to support teams today. Hfx maybe has a chance of being able to support a team in 10 years if things go really well and we develop more of the offshore industry and the IT industry keeps growing at the pace it has. That doesn't mean we'd get one.

Keep in mind every town of 1000 people has a hockey rink in it in this country. We provide the bulk of the players. The fan base is quite large. What's missing is the number of big companies with $$ in places like Hfx and Regina. It's less about population and more about corporate sponsorship these days. (The last 3 NHL games I saw, all in Montreal, were corporate comp. tix). Normal people don't support the NHL anymore.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Yeah ok... 32 million people and most of that population is spread out in cities that already have teams. There might be a handful of people in Nova Scotia and pleaseeee stop bringing up that poker crap because whenever a local team in the NHL is in the playoffs the arena is sold out. Nova scotia is to fricken small for any real pro sport (CFL is only pro in canada) and Regina is still really small. The oilers are fighting for survival and I'm seriously doubting their survival with their lousy tv deal and lousy arena. The NHL is doing their best to keep that team affloat and overzealous fans want more teams because in your small city has no NHL team in close proximity. It isn't going to happen so please give up these useless threads and if you really want a NHL team in your city i'd suggest you move.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squiddy said:
Yeah ok... 32 million people and most of that population is spread out in cities that already have teams. There might be a handful of people in Nova Scotia and pleaseeee stop bringing up that poker crap because whenever a local team in the NHL is in the playoffs the arena is sold out. Nova scotia is to fricken small for any real pro sport (CFL is only pro in canada) and Regina is still really small. The oilers are fighting for survival and I'm seriously doubting their survival with their lousy tv deal and lousy arena. The NHL is doing their best to keep that team affloat and overzealous fans want more teams because in your small city has no NHL team in close proximity. It isn't going to happen so please give up these useless threads and if you really want a NHL team in your city i'd suggest you move.

Did you even read my post? I agreed with the points that Hfx and Regina are too small. I said maybe Hfx in 10 years if things keep going well here (the town is booming right now). And I didn't say I wanted one here, so I don't plan to move.

Ok, so we don't have a CFL team. It's not because we're too small, it's because there isn't a stadium big enough, which may get solved if we became the winning bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

And the population doesn't always matter. Look at baseball. Montreal is one of the biggest cities in North America (3.5M) and couldn't support a baseball team. Why? No baseball fans anymore.

I can't speak to the Edmonton situation, but it sounds kind of silly now with the cap and the boom Alberta's experiencing with the price of oil where it is. I'll leave it to any westerners here to talk to that.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Newfie Jesus said:
In most optimistic of circumstances, Halifax could pull it off in 10 years or so. I can easily see people making the long trek outside the city to see their favourite team, superstar players, or Canadian teams... if they landed a corporate contract with an airline who could offer cheap flights to ticket holders, they'd be in business...

Ahh, who'm I kidding. Despite all the rabid hockey fans in Atlantic Canada, they'd be shy of cutting the mustard as a break-even NHL team even then. Halifax put on a great show for the WJC and is one of the best homes for a Q team... the NHL is still be out of their reach unless the local population doubled in size.

people in cape breton would hate halifax so that 100 000 people not going to the usual games and who would wnat to travel 5 hrs to go see a team u despise!

If a halifax team takes my leafs off the tv i would buy a sattelite
and i would attend a game to see the Leafs only:D

That said NS is only a hr to a 90 min flight from any east coast NHL team!

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
JKP said:
And the population doesn't always matter. Look at baseball. Montreal is one of the biggest cities in North America (3.5M) and couldn't support a baseball team. Why? No baseball fans anymore.

If you believe that you are very wrong. Montreal has a great Baseball fanbase... I guess you don't know how much the strike of 94 killed the Expos. Huge revolt from the expos fans when they basically got robbed of an World Series.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Saskatchewan Economy was in the toilet in the mid 1990's when I left. The majority of professional young people are leaving Saskatchewan in droves for better and higher paying jobs.
I certainly didn't leave Saskatoon because of the city, but because of EMPLOYMENT. Thanks to the NDP goverment that is. I will never move back there until the Sask Party is in power and they start that province moving again. I swear Saskatchewan is 15 years behind Alberta.
Saskatoon is regarded by everyone I have talked to in Canada as a great and beauful city. I have NEVER heard that talk regarding the Pile of Bones. Saskatoon is a mini Edmonton with the River winding through it and the miles of River Valley mulit-purpose trails. What the hell does Regina have, a lake that is full of goose **** that stinks.
Saskatoon has set the RECORD for attendance at a Brier twice and is a great sports town.
We hosted the Canada Games 15 years before you did.
We hosted a Memorial Cups 15 years before you could.
We have hosted NHL pre season games, Canada Russia pre -Olympic games, the list goes on and on, why a 11,500 seat arena!
We are Curling and Hockey central my friend.
Regina has good people living there as well, but the city is flat and is a mini Winnipeg in many people eyes.
It's nice to have our backwards goverment insisting on keeping the Crown Corporations instead of privatization at the mercy of the taxpayer.
Do you want is happening in Saskatchewan? The majority of the people are either retiring or on welfare and the minority of the working class are supporting them.

Saskatoon doesn't care about Regina, they have a light Synetron the only one in Canada that is creating thousands of jobs and attacting the best research people in the nation. When Saskatoon is pushing 300,000 people by 2030 and Regina is still hovering 200,000 you see the Head offices move my friend. :help:
Enjoy your small and cozy Brandt center bud.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
Saskatchewan Economy was in the toilet in the mid 1990's when I left. The majority of professional young people are leaving Saskatchewan in droves for better and higher paying jobs.
I certainly didn't leave Saskatoon because of the city, but because of EMPLOYMENT. Thanks to the NDP goverment that is. I will never move back there until the Sask Party is in power and they start that province moving again. I swear Saskatchewan is 15 years behind Alberta.
Saskatoon is regarded by everyone I have talked to in Canada as a great and beauful city. I have NEVER heard that talk regarding the Pile of Bones. Saskatoon is a mini Edmonton with the River winding through it and the miles of River Valley mulit-purpose trails. What the hell does Regina have, a lake that is full of goose **** that stinks.
Saskatoon has set the RECORD for attendance at a Brier twice and is a great sports town.
We hosted the Canada Games 15 years before you did.
We hosted a Memorial Cups 15 years before you could.
We have hosted NHL pre season games, Canada Russia pre -Olympic games, the list goes on and on, why a 11,500 seat arena!
We are Curling and Hockey central my friend.
Regina has good people living there as well, but the city is flat and is a mini Winnipeg in many people eyes.
It's nice to have our backwards goverment insisting on keeping the Crown Corporations instead of privatization at the mercy of the taxpayer.
Do you want is happening in Saskatchewan? The majority of the people are either retiring or on welfare and the minority of the working class are supporting them.

Saskatoon doesn't care about Regina, they have a light Synetron the only one in Canada that is creating thousands of jobs and attacting the best research people in the nation. When Saskatoon is pushing 300,000 people by 2030 and Regina is still hovering 200,000 you see the Head offices move my friend. :help:
Enjoy your small and cozy Brandt center bud.

Wow, I feel like I'm getting dumber by talking to you. I can't keep up with this grammar of yours.

Although I am no fan of the NDP government, you have got to be stupid to want the Sask Party in control. This isn't Alberta we are talking about, this is Saskatchewan, and thus the people of Saskatchewan do NOT want privitization of the Crown Corporations. If that's what you want, then stay in Alberta....please.

The province is moving Bucko, hence why we didn't have equalization payments this year.

Regina has hosted the Brier, the Scott, the Memorial Cup, the Canada Games, Agribition, the Grey Cup....how many Grey Cups has Saskatoon had? Oh right. Your initial quote was "We have hosted 10 times the sporting..." Then you just named off a list of sporting events that both cities have hosted, good work. I am in awe.

And actually, Wascana lake doesn't stink at all since it was re-dug...the river of Saskatoon is nice, it's natural and all that jazz, but Wascana lake is a lot more welcoming, and theres a lot more going on in that park, which by the way is the largest urban park in North America.

The only way Saskatoon makes 300,000 is when more aboriginals leave the reserve and move to the city.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is going nowhere fast CCF, stay in hole and enjoy your city.
I apoligize for not doing a spell check on my posts but I am busy. You know, reaping the benefits of our Alberta Advantage and deciding what I am going to spend the $400+ cash Alberta dividend cheques.
But Saskatoon is the #1 city in the province and thats the bottom line.
Ask the +150,000 former Saskatchewan people living in Alberta why they left.
Go ahead and support the welfare citizens, I suppose you could look out your window now and see your Oldsmobile getting stolen just about now. :biglaugh:

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
CCF said:
Regina has hosted the Brier, the Scott, the Memorial Cup, the Canada Games, Agribition, the Grey Cup....how many Grey Cups has Saskatoon had? Oh right. Your initial quote was "We have hosted 10 times the sporting..." Then you just named off a list of sporting events that both cities have hosted, good work. I am in awe.
QUOTE]
Didn't you understand my point, we been there, hosted that already. 1989 vs. 2005 Canada Games :shakehead
Saskatoon is a leader, not a follower.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
You are right, I don't even know why we are having this conversation. Saskatchewan isn't Alberta, and thus you won't have the right wing views that you would like to see. Thank God, because frankly I'm not a racist and I don't feel the need to kill all gays.

No that's not the bottom line, it's a matter of opinion. You have yours, good job.

I really don't care about the 150,000 people who left. Why should I?

I don't own an Oldsmobile actually, and crime happens even in your beloved Alberta....really it's a non-issue.

At least we can both agree that we aren't Manitoba?

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
CCF said:
QUOTE]
Didn't you understand my point, we been there, hosted that already. 1989 vs. 2005 Canada Games :shakehead
Saskatoon is a leader, not a follower.

Scott Torunament of Hearts - Regina 1982, 1998, Saskatoon 1991
Memorial Cup - Regina 1980, 2001, Saskatoon 1989

Regina also holds the record for largest attendance in Canada for the Scott.

What were you saying?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squiddy said:
If you believe that you are very wrong. Montreal has a great Baseball fanbase... I guess you don't know how much the strike of 94 killed the Expos. Huge revolt from the expos fans when they basically got robbed of an World Series.

Off topic, but... I've been an expos fan for over 30 years. Bronfman bailed on the team long before '94 because he saw the future. The fanbase wasn't big enough to support the escalating salaries. The great baseball fanbase you refer to largely left when many of the anglo businesses pulled up stakes and moved to TO. Believe me, more than anyone I wish the 'Spos could have stayed, but Montreal just isn't a baseball town.

And it wasn't the strike and 94 series being cancelled that did them in, it was the owners then signing a deal that did squat for the "small market" teams (which the Expos very clearly were considered one of). That led to trading away Grissom, Hill and letting Walker walk away without even a qualifier in the first 36 hours of '95 spring training. They couldn't afford to keep the team intact because it wasn't a baseball town despite a population bigger than half the teams in MLB. (And I won't even begin to get into Loria...)

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
JKP said:
Off topic, but... I've been an expos fan for over 30 years. Bronfman bailed on the team long before '94 because he saw the future. The fanbase wasn't big enough to support the escalating salaries. The great baseball fanbase you refer to largely left when many of the anglo businesses pulled up stakes and moved to TO. Believe me, more than anyone I wish the 'Spos could have stayed, but Montreal just isn't a baseball town.

And it wasn't the strike and 94 series being cancelled that did them in, it was the owners then signing a deal that did squat for the "small market" teams (which the Expos very clearly were considered one of). That led to trading away Grissom, Hill and letting Walker walk away without even a qualifier in the first 36 hours of '05 spring training. They couldn't afford to keep the team intact because it wasn't a baseball town despite a population bigger than half the teams in MLB. (And I won't even begin to get into Loria...)

All good points but I was an expos fans and when I talk to many expos fans they blame the strike. Baseball does have the worst economics of all the pro leagues though. I still think baseball will do good in montreal if they had better management than what the spos had.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squiddy said:
All good points but I was an expos fans and when I talk to many expos fans they blame the strike. Baseball does have the worst economics of all the pro leagues though. I still think baseball will do good in montreal if they had better management than what the spos had.

I agree. The Expos could have definitely survived (like KC and the other bottom feeders that can't afford to compete) if a) Brochu took a risk and kept the 94 team together, or b) Loria had never come to town and c) if Bud Selig didn't have some kind of hate on for Montreal.

The strike's the easy target because they sucked the next year which made the contrast that much worse (if they'd come back with a decent team and been competitive, who knows...). The reason they sucked in 95 was because the rich owners caved and Brochu didn't want to risk losing $$ because he got paid well only if they made a profit. The whole affair is still painful to me, and it was like a perfect storm that conspired to destroy them. But at the end of the day, the % of baseball fans out of the 3.5M people there just wasn't high enough as far back as the late 80s and early 90s.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
futurcorerock said:
Because Houston has an AHL franchise whereas Saskatchewan does not???

I don't think anyone in Saskatchewan would rather have an AHL franchise over a WHL franchise.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
I think when the Jays were winning that it was good for baseball in Montreal & Canada because there is much more interest. As a Expos fan I thought 94 was the year where it was our turn and I definitely was excited when Joe Carter hit the walk off to end the world series in 93.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Squiddy said:

montreal baseball fans had 10 yrs to get over it and they didnt so they lost the team and rightfully so

Thats a shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->