Regier, Rolston fired; Pat LaFontaine-President of Hockey Ops; Ted Nolan-coach

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
With all these reports from players I wouldn't be surprised if they're the ones who were asking for Rolston to be canned

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Girgensons saying they ignored his system. Ennis smiling now. Ott and the others saying they are finally having good practices. Myers saying he wasn't allowed to skate up the ice with the puck. etcetcetc

Considering how lost Myers looked sometimes with the puck last season and how much better he looked on D this year perhaps the was the right decision. Also, if the coach lost the players 20 games in the season so much that they ignored the system something had to give. You can not make someone do something only make them want to do it themself.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Girgensons saying they ignored his system. Ennis smiling now. Ott and the others saying they are finally having good practices. Myers saying he wasn't allowed to skate up the ice with the puck. etcetcetc
a coach with garden gloves had zero respect from the players and DR suffered for it. Like I have said he was painful as a pro coach and had an arrogance about him which turned players off. Ted is going to be great for these kids and vets.

Karate Johnson*

DR suffered for his own mistakes.

The most important decision a GM makes is hiring a coach.

He failed miserably. He lost his job for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The Girgensons comments were a few weeks ago when he and Flynn converted on a goal -- something along the lines of they decided to forget systems and just go play. Hamilton reported Myers wasn't being allowed to rush the puck by Rolston just today during his hour with Schopp and the Bulldog. Nolan commented that Ennis looks like a weight was lifted off him, seems much happier. Ott commented today that they had uptempo practices.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
'Major' news indeed.

Wouldn't have minded DR/RR to carry on until seasons end which would ensure a top 3 pick & some good returns on Miller & Moulson...

...hopefully that still happens with whoever is in charge.

RR had to go though I suppose, but I feel bad for DR - I felt he is/was under rated by many Sabres fans. Perfect guy to handle the so called rebuild.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
'Major' news indeed.

Wouldn't have minded DR/RR to carry on until seasons end which would ensure a top 3 pick & some good returns on Miller & Moulson...

RR had to go though I suppose, but I feel bad for DR - I felt he is/was under rated by many Sabres fans. Perfect guy to handle the so called rebuild.

I don't think Regier was the perfect guy to handle any rebuild. His choice of Ron Rolston proves that. Rolston can do a lot of damage.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
'Major' news indeed.

I suppose he is going to be the most sought after GM then when an opening becomes available, eh ? Perhaps many teams bidding all at once this off-season for his services ?

Sorry, but I disagree....I think it will be difficult for him to find another GM position.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I suppose he is going to be the most sought after GM then when an opening becomes available, eh ? Perhaps many teams bidding all at once this off-season for his services ?

Sorry, but I disagree....I think it will be difficult for him to find another GM position.

And a lot of posters didn't think Ruff would find a head coaching job in the NHL for years. Yet, 6 months after getting fired in Buffalo, he finds one in Dallas. I bet Regier finds an NHL GM job (if he's open to getting one) before next season starts.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
And a lot of posters didn't think Ruff would find a head coaching job in the NHL for years. Yet, 6 months after getting fired in Buffalo, he finds one in Dallas. I bet Regier finds an NHL GM job (if he's open to getting one) before next season starts.

GM jobs are harder to come by than coaching roles. With that said, I can see him being picked up in the next year as an assistant GM or pro scout for an organization

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Just wanted to add what HNIC had to say on the search for those out of the area:

Healy: 4 names he expects to be interviewed: Boterill, Dudley, Benning, Fenton. Doesnt think Duds will take the job because hes more of a "take the keys and drive" scouting type then a GM anymore.

Elliotte Freidman agreed with the list, but added that someone close to Dudley has told him he does NOT want to be a GM again, UNLESS its in Buffalo. He also said to expect a dark-horse candidate (as Lafontaine mentioned in the interview that aired tonight as well on CBC) to be on the list, but said he doesnt see Colin Campbell or super agent Don Meehan to be involved.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Just wanted to add what HNIC had to say on the search for those out of the area:

Healy: 4 names he expects to be interviewed: Boterill, Dudley, Benning, Fenton. Doesnt think Duds will take the job because hes more of a "take the keys and drive" scouting type then a GM anymore.

Elliotte Freidman agreed with the list, but added that someone close to Dudley has told him he does NOT want to be a GM again, UNLESS its in Buffalo. He also said to expect a dark-horse candidate (as Lafontaine mentioned in the interview that aired tonight as well on CBC) to be on the list, but said he doesnt see Colin Campbell or super agent Don Meehan to be involved.

Meehan was LaFontaine's agent. They didn't mention their own Claude Loiselle? Fenton's drafts are pretty strong and is touted as a developer in Nashville. Fenton is growing on me and with more assets here, he has more resources available to him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't think Regier was the perfect guy to handle any rebuild. His choice of Ron Rolston proves that. Rolston can do a lot of damage.

Regier was/is the king of getting good returns in trades. I liked the direction he was going in both with the trades he was making and the way he was drafting.

I'm not totally against the move but the timing is completely wrong IMO.

Rolston had to go... but I was (and still am) prepared to see the team lose night in night out if it means getting a top 3 pick this year and next (hopefully top 1 in 2015). I understand that a losing mentality is never something you want to have - but a couple of dire seasons & elite level prospects as a result is what the team needs to complete the job. If you had told me I'd have this POV even a year/18 months ago I'd have laughed but its the only way this team is going to eventually challenge. I just hope under new management they don't go on a semi-run and end up picking 6th or 7th....

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Must See: Inside Hockey: Pat LaFontaine (extended version) 5:59

Video: Inside Hockey: Pat LaFontaine embraces new gig with Sabres

Pat LaFontaine was once the face of the Buffalo Sabres and now he's the man in charge.

Hockey Night in Canada's Elliotte Friedman sat down with LaFontaine in his Inside Hockey segment about the former star centre's new role as the Sabres' president of hockey operations.

LaFontaine shared his appreciation for the city of Buffalo, the search for the club's next general manager, and his plans for organization.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting to hear Pat say they've already had conversations regarding a player (or players) availability. I wonder if teams called immediately after Regier was ousted, given what has come out about the ridiculous starting position he had for Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad