Regarding Kiprusoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
According to Eric Duhatschek on HNIC's Hot Stove segment tonight, Kiprusoff did tell Finnish officials that he would not be able to play in the Olympics before the team was named. Kurri named him anyway. Kipper is apparently quite disapointed that he is being made out to be the bad guy in this situation.

Can't blame him. The Finns screwed up, and are now trying to pin their mistake in naming Kiprusoff on the man himself.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Resolute said:
According to Eric Duhatschek on HNIC's Hot Stove segment tonight, Kiprusoff did tell Finnish officials that he would not be able to play in the Olympics before the team was named. Kurri named him anyway. Kipper is apparently quite disapointed that he is being made out to be the bad guy in this situation.

Can't blame him. The Finns screwed up, and are now trying to pin their mistake in naming Kiprusoff on the man himself.

So becauce Duhatschek says it is so, it is so? Kurri said earlier, that they had agreed with Kipper that they would select him to the team and review his status closer to the olympics.

Phanuthier*

psycho_dad said:
So becauce Duhatschek says it is so, it is so? Kurri said earlier, that they had agreed with Kipper that they would select him to the team and review his status closer to the olympics.
Well he knows more then you, that's for sure.

Here's it is in detail:

Kiprusoff is getting the hip treated after every game and practice, which is why he's almost never available for interviews these days so that he can play with some level of comfort. So why didn't Kiprusoff notify the Finns ahead of time of his decision? Turns out he did. Kiprusoff spoke to Finland's national coach, Erkka Westerlund, when the Flames were in Nashville; and then talked to him again on the phone prior to the roster announcement. Kiprusoff figured they'd keep him off the team. Instead, the Finns named him anyway, in the hopes that the injury does clear up on its own by February and that he would be available. Nor did Kiprusoff get any pressure from his NHL team to make the decision, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Well he knows more then you, that's for sure.

That is not the question here. The question is, is he telling the truth or is Kurri telling the truth. I am out of that equation.

Like I said, Westerlund and Kurri have both stated that Kippers situation was supposed to be reviewed later, before the olympics. So one side here is talking BS.

Should I add "here it is in detail" to make it more credible or what were you after?

Phanuthier*

Who did Kurri mean by "they" ?

Sounds like Finland was pressuring Kiprusoff to play, Kiprusoff didn't want to play and thought by tone and lack of enthusiasum that Finland knew he didn't want to play.

espo*

Does'nt matter what we all hear or think................he'll play or not,it's up to him.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Who did Kurri mean by "they" ?

Sounds like Finland was pressuring Kiprusoff to play, Kiprusoff didn't want to play and thought by tone and lack of enthusiasum that Finland knew he didn't want to play.

Ok. Kurri said that him and Westerlund had talked with Kipper many times this season, and that they together (Kurri, Westerlund, Kipper) had decided they would review the situation closer to the games.

Enough clarification?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The fact of the matter is that Kiprusoff's relationship with the Finnish federation is shaky at best. Greg Millen was talking about how people weren't very endearing to Kiprusoff after last year's worlds (I don't know what happened). I know I wouldn't want to do anything to piss off the best goalie in my country.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Resolute said:

Bro... What's the problem here.. They closed the other thread and you still keep coming back with this. Finns are pissed off because of what happened here, you would be too if your best player decided to pull this ****.

Dogbert*

finska said:
Bro... What's the problem here.. They closed the other thread and you still keep coming back with this. Finns are pissed off because of what happened here, you would be too if your best player decided to pull this ****.

We brought it back up because people jumped to conclusions about Kipper around here, and Duhatschek set the record straight.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Dogbert said:
We brought it back up because people jumped to conclusions about Kipper around here, and Duhatschek set the record straight.

Umm...I am sure you have a good reason for clinging to his words, but just for the sake of conversation, who the **** is Duhatsek. A reporter?

I know who Jari Kurri is (he actually does have something to do with team finland you know...as in he is the GM of the team), and he is saying the opposite thing. I would not trust what Kurri says 100% , but I sure dont trust this other guy either.

I am not saying Kurri "set the record straight" so you should not either regarding this other person. It is not the absolute truth just because you would want it to be. Let's wait and see what is the truth here.

Usually GM's have more info about their own team than reporters have....

Last edited:

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Dogbert said:

Listen... Duhatsek couldn't set it straight if he had a ruler.

I understand the point of view that you guys have. You are obviously more concerned about the Flames and their successes than that of team Finland. Understandable.... Let's not take this out of perspective though. Let's face it, Finland does not have the amount of elite players that Canada has. For us Kipper was one of our best players, and in order to succeed in the Olympic gold (which happens to be our holy grail), we need this guy.

Phanuthier*

psycho_dad said:
Umm...I am sure you have a good reason for clinging to his words, but just for the sake of conversation, who the **** is Duhatsek. A reporter?
One of the most respected reporters in hockey, one of the most connected media officials to the Flames and in general one of the most connected writers in the entire league.

You know Duhatchuk is genuine when he can give the exact dates Kiprusoff talked to Finland

I want to see an exact quote or link, since the story your presenting seems sketchy.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
One of the most respected reporters in hockey, one of the most connected media officials to the Flames and in general one of the most connected writers in the entire league.

You know Duhatchuk is genuine when he can give the exact dates Kiprusoff talked to Finland

I want to see an exact quote or link, since the story your presenting seems sketchy.

I am sure he is genuine, the thing is, he knows when Kipper talked to team finland....but Jari Kurri knows what they talked about. Since he was the guy on the phone. Or the guy standing beside Kipper, talking to him. I dont know how's Dukhatceks finnish these days, but I am sure something was lost in translation :D

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calgary/2005/12/23/1366310-cp.html

What else do you need?

"We were aware of his problems," added Kurri. "We discussed it with him several times during the fall. Naturally, Kiprusoff is worried about his hip inflammation and worried about his future career, but we agreed that he would be nominated. Then we would wait and see and take a final decision just before the Olympics."

Phanuthier*

psycho_dad said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calgary/2005/12/23/1366310-cp.html

What else do you need?

"We were aware of his problems," added Kurri. "We discussed it with him several times during the fall. Naturally, Kiprusoff is worried about his hip inflammation and worried about his future career, but we agreed that he would be nominated. Then we would wait and see and take a final decision just before the Olympics."
That's what I needed

Looks like Finland was pressuring Kiprusoff to play, and Kiprusoff didn't really want to play. Kiprusoff likely assuming that by his lackluster interest, Finland would back off, but they named him anyways, so he had to withdraw.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Exactly. "We" in this case far more likely means Kurri and his coaching staff than Kurri and Kiprusoff.

finska said:

The other thread was closed because it went off topic, and probably got personal. That doesnt mean that all discussion about the topic itself becomes banned. The most respected reporter in hockey made a relevent statement about this situation that I felt was important enough to post. If there is a guy in hockey with access to the inner workings of the Flames, it is Duhatchek.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
So even though the general manager of team finland says he had talked to Kipper several times and both agreed that they would name him and check his status closer to the olympics, this Duhatchek guy knows better? :shakehead

Like Kurri said, Kipper's situation was supposed to be reviewed closer to the actual games. What made him change his mind, the same day the selection was made? Everyone knows what changed his mind. He was told not to go, quite simple. We do not need to discuss the decision itself, or who likes it and who does not. The main point is he was told not to go, and also given an excuse to use.

Phanuthier*

psycho_dad said:
So even though the general manager of team finland says he had talked to Kipper several times and both agreed that they would name him and check his status closer to the olympics, this Duhatchek guy knows better? :shakehead

Like Kurri said, Kipper's situation was supposed to be reviewed closer to the actual games. What made him change his mind, the same day the selection was made? Everyone knows what changed his mind. He was told not to go, quite simple. We do not need to discuss the decision itself, or who likes it and who does not. The main point is he was told not to go, and also given an excuse to use.
Maybe the injury got worse since he got named?

Did you see the game tonight? Trust me, Markannan and Toskala would be a far better option. Heck, I'm a little worried with Kiprusoff here in Calgary... I think you'll see Sauve play alot more.

And yes, I think Duhatchuk knows better. Heck, I believe he has a better handle on the situation then Kiprusoff likely has himself. Duhatchuk is a VERY well respected and well connected reporter... Kurri may have Finland's side, but Duhatchuk probably has both, along with Sutter, Team Canada all the way down to what Team Italy thinks.

And, like I said above, from everything I've read, it looks like Finland was really pressuring Kiprusoff to go, but Kipper really didn't want to go.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Maybe the injury got worse since he got named?

So it got worse, was diagnosed and announced in the 10+ hours after he was named? :biglaugh:

Phanuthier said:
Heck, I'm a little worried with Kiprusoff here in Calgary... I think you'll see Sauve play alot more.

So am I. He should rest now and get better. Flames have no use for a goalie they force to play injured...could lead to even more serious injuries. That has been my main point. His time is to rest right now. If he is healthy when olympics start, he should play there, but by no means I want him playing injured. Not for flames or for Finland. Serves no purpose.

Phanuthier said:
And yes, I think Duhatchuk knows better. Heck, I believe he has a better handle on the situation then Kiprusoff likely has himself. Duhatchuk is a VERY well respected and well connected reporter... Kurri may have Finland's side, but Duhatchuk probably has both, along with Sutter, Team Canada all the way down to what Team Italy thinks.

The whole arguement was about what had been agreed on between Kipper and Team Finland. The GM of team finland knows that subject better than any reporter in this world, since he was part of those conversations. Duhatchuk might know a whole lot and be an insider, but he will never know the discussion better than the two sides who talked. In this sort of case, always go with the actual source, not a reporter. Even if he had a recording of the conversations, he would not know it any better than the two people doing the talking. Then he would have equal information (which is not the case).

Phanuthier said:
And, like I said above, from everything I've read, it looks like Finland was really pressuring Kiprusoff to go, but Kipper really didn't want to go.

I really don't know where you got that impression from. Must be from these few opinions on this board by fans who like to come up with their own truths. Kurri told the press what had been discussed, there was no pressure, just a normal "Let's see where we stand when it's time". Injured players get selected to the teams, the olympics are almost 2 months away....if selecting someone to a squad is pressuring them, then every selected player in any team is pressured by their country. Kippers case was no different. NOW he is pressured from many sides, for obvious reasons. Before his announcement to stay out his selection was just one among others.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
You know, its entirely possible that the drugs Kiprusoff would have to take to control this "inflamation" and keep playing for the Flames would mean he would fail the Olympic drug test, and that's why he's not playing.

Of course, then the question is why don't they just say that, why lie about resting and healing during the break....

Dogbert*

Injektilo said:
You know, its entirely possible that the drugs Kiprusoff would have to take to control this "inflamation" and keep playing for the Flames would mean he would fail the Olympic drug test, and that's why he's not playing.

Of course, then the question is why don't they just say that, why lie about resting and healing during the break....

Because then half the league would be in an uproar about the Flames' roided-up goalie.

Sammy*

Dogbert said:
Duhatschek is a good writer. He's also a Flame shill.
This imo is a classless move by Kipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->