Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm not worried about the caffeine since 1 pop a day is such a small amount. I don't drink coffee or anything else.
I switched to diet caffeine free coke. I have a bad sweet tooth. It keeps me sane with the lowest possible damage.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I switched to diet caffeine free coke. I have a bad sweet tooth. It keeps me sane with the lowest possible damage.
I have never seen Caffeine Free Coke Zero at the store. And I hate the taste of Diet Coke. I like Diet Pepsi, maybe I should look for a caffeine free version of that.

Reactions: Sideline

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It started because I just hate the taste of coffee. I've tried it a bunch of times and a bunch of different qualities and just hate it every time. But now that I see how much other people rely on it, and how I don't, I just have no interest in even acquiring that taste. The most enticing thing about it is just having a warm drink in the winter.

That says, it smells so damn good. I like being around other people drinking coffee :laugh:

Haha. yeah it does have a repugnant smell and definitely an acquired taste. Oh yeah... people rely on it immensely. My father can't leave the house in the morning without having 2 or more cups of coffee. If we are going to breakfast together and he doesn't eat or drink coffee before hand.... he stutters, he has trouble forming sentences haha... it's funny when he gets upset he can't function without his coffee.

Thats the truth though, people _need_ their caffeine or they don't function. So it's good you never really got hooked on it by not liking the taste.

Did you know most coffee beans are old and stale? You can buy legit fresh beans and you can easily tell the difference.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Haha. yeah it does have a repugnant smell and definitely an acquired taste. Oh yeah... people rely on it immensely. My father can't leave the house in the morning without having 2 or more cups of coffee. If we are going to breakfast together and he doesn't eat or drink coffee before hand.... he stutters, he has trouble forming sentences haha... it's funny when he gets upset he can't function without his coffee.

Thats the truth though, people _need_ their caffeine or they don't function. So it's good you never really got hooked on it by not liking the taste.

Did you know most coffee beans are old and stale? You can buy legit fresh beans and you can easily tell the difference.
I couldn't tell you what I've had, but I have had so many kinds. Nobody believes that I'm going to continue without it, so they seem to feel like its a challenge to find the best coffee to prove that I'll like it.

Reactions: LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My only tips.. Look big picture and don't cut your calories too much or you will pay for it in the long run. Keep your protein high to maintain muscle while you lose weight. Don't try to cut out carbs, you don't need to. Find good recipes... One day of eating for me. French toast, 1lb of ground beef, cheeseburger flat bread pizza with some of ground beef for day, bag of popcorn, protein ice cream, apple and protein spread. That's like 1.8-2k calories and hits my macros. Need a goal... A lot of people yoyo because they just want to lose weight to fit in clothes or look good then they are like I can eat whatever I want for a year then grind back to this in 1-2 months. Building muscle and weight training is the obvious good goal to have but it could be anything.

Holy shit is that ever true. You can screw up your metabolism, you just feel miserable, you can actually shock your body into gaining fat, and you can severely depress your immune system. I made that mistake the first time I was trying to lose weight for a tournament-- got myself sick, the weight took forever to drop, and I performed absolutely terribly (to this date, the only tournament where I went two and out).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I couldn't tell you what I've had, but I have had so many kinds. Nobody believes that I'm going to continue without it, so they seem to feel like its a challenge to find the best coffee to prove that I'll like it.
heheh... yeah. it's such a socially accepted drink. In the morning routine and breakfast routine.

There are some incredible blends out there for sure. I'm surprised one didn't grab ya.

What don't you enjoy about the taste? The straight black, yuck factor? (which I truly love it straight black)
Don't like the cream or milk? You can virtually make coffee taste like anything... french vanilla, irish creme, etc etc.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree that nutrition comes first and foremost. However, I think at an intermediate level or better you need to be visiting the grocery store frequently and stocking up on the good stuff. Neither of which are necessarily advised right now.

So I think doing some running or HIIT to get back to even on CI-CO is perfectly reasonable. Though I do agree with those who have said that exclusively running is a terrible idea given how much it wrecks your joints. Particularly if you live in the Pittsburgh area where you'll be running down hills which are knee destroyers.

Oh god, try running downhill on cobblestones. :laugh:

One of the many things I miss about Chicago is how bikeable it is. I used to bike 7 - 10 miles a day to campus and back, and even out to concerts and parties. I had absolutely no trouble staying in shape then. Walking a lot is also good, but I miss being able to just hop on my bike and get where I needed to.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
heheh... yeah. it's such a socially accepted drink. In the morning routine and breakfast routine.

There are some incredible blends out there for sure. I'm surprised one didn't grab ya.

What don't you enjoy about the taste? The straight black, yuck factor? (which I truly love it straight black)
Don't like the cream or milk? You can virtually make coffee taste like anything... french vanilla, irish creme, etc etc.
It's the coffee :laugh:

I've had black. I've had crazy sugar filled lattes. I've had a bunch in between. It all tastes either like coffee, or like you ruined a nice shake or whatever it is by adding coffee to it :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Holy shit is that ever true. You can screw up your metabolism, you just feel miserable, you can actually shock your body into gaining fat, and you can severely depress your immune system. I made that mistake the first time I was trying to lose weight for a tournament-- got myself sick, the weight took forever to drop, and I performed absolutely terribly (to this date, the only tournament where I went two and out).

Some people were saying that is what happened to cam newton. He switched to vegan or some form of vegetarian this last season. Either he was a meat eater or a pescatarian and I'm mostly sure that he cut out all meat, even fish.

So some argued his body can't heal or perform at that level he is trying to play to.... I think a nutritionist wrote the article. I can't remember... I'll see if I can find the article.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Some people were saying that is what happened to cam newton. He switched to vegan or some form of vegetarian this last season. Either he was a meat eater or a pescatarian and I'm mostly sure that he cut out all meat, even fish.

So some argued his body can't heal or perform at that level he is trying to play to.... I think a nutritionist wrote the article.
I would think it's really hard to be a successful high level athlete as a vegan or even vegetarian. Not impossible probably but hard. Especially for football.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's the coffee :laugh:

I've had black. I've had crazy sugar filled lattes. I've had a bunch in between. It all tastes either like coffee, or like you ruined a nice shake or whatever it is by adding coffee to it :laugh:

hahah... gotcha.
Well, at least you don't have to worry about coffee teeth or getting your daily fix
=P

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

That's crazy. What do you play?

Yeah, I get it's tough and losing it quick is satisfying. But you could honestly eat more and lose more/same if you do it right. There's some guys that need to eat like 1-1.2k calories to cut because they messed up their metabolism so bad. Start at like losing 2lbs a week and then run it until you plateau then you can cut calories or eat the same and add in cardio 2-3x a week and do that until you plateau.

I kind of messed up mine with cutting too hard and reverse dieted and got over a plateau.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
You don't actually need to eat less. Just different. I was eating quite a bit more on a thousand cal deficit than I was before I fixed my diet. Most people gain fat from empty calories they don't realize they're ingesting. If you drank a 20 oz pepsi and ate a chocolate chip cookie, that does nothing to make you less hungry, but you've basically just eaten the equivalent of a 16 oz sirloin (without any of the benefits).
I guess that's what I meant. I'm eating less junk, to clarify. Not being in the office eliminates the temptations. I'm still eating my normal breakfast/lunch/dinner. Just all the junk in between is eliminated now

Reactions: billybudd

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I would think it's really hard to be a successful high level athlete as a vegan or even vegetarian. Not impossible probably but hard. Especially for football.

I've seen it done for some sports, but not ones that require a lot of protein intake. I had a teammate in university who was vegan and on the judo team and he missed more time to injury than anyone else until he massively supplemented his diet with pea protein.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Same here. They weren't slamming being vegan or vegetarian... it was more of a scientific based article and I'm really crunching it down because I can't remember the delicate parts of the details.

But yeah, I agree. He also did it right before the season too. Not like he was doing it for awhile so that also leaves little time for his body to adjust. Different 'fuel' for the body at such a high level will have an impact. I mean, we can feel the difference as non professional athletes.

For example, eat burger king, fast food garbage as a meal and then go workout... you will feel like trash. Next time eat a good steak or chicken with lots of vegetables and then do your workout... the difference is incredibly obvious. I'm not quite sure fast food is even 'real food'. It gets you by... but it does not do your body any favors.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's crazy. What do you play?

Yeah, I get it's tough and losing it quick is satisfying. But you could honestly eat more and lose more/same if you do it right. There's some guys that need to eat like 1-1.2k calories to cut because they messed up their metabolism so bad. Start at like losing 2lbs a week and then run it until you plateau then you can cut calories or eat the same and add in cardio 2-3x a week and do that until you plateau.

I kind of messed up mine with cutting too hard and reverse dieted and got over a plateau.

Judo. :laugh:

I played hockey as a kid and boxed, but I was way better at judo. Could have probably had a pretty good competitive career if I hadn't started in my mid-20s, but as is, I can say I've stepped on the mat with Olympic champions and survived. Even threw a few of them once or twice before they destroyed me. And it's killing me that I'm finally back in fighting weight and I can't go out and practice with my club. :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
the key for weight loss, as far as I know, is all calories. It's easier to lose weight if you eat a good healthy meal of veggies and meat because you will feel fuller than if you have a cookie and pop, but if they are the same calories, won't they have the same impact on your weight? Obviously there are other differences in terms of nutrition.

Well, if you're just eating meats and some greens, that probably puts you into a ketogenic state, which causes a lot of weirdness you'd need a researcher to properly explain.

But generally, yes. Ignoring amino acids and micronutrients, ignoring that certain types of foods require more energy to digest, if healthy meal X has 650 calories in it, the body will get the same energy from 650 calories of sweet tea.

Difference there is satiation. A meal of 9 oz turkey breast, 1/2 cup of oats, 6 oz blackberries and a stalk of broccoli would leave most people feeling pretty full for a while. An equivalent caloric amount of Snapple may make you feel bloated, but you're going to be as hungry as if you've eaten nothing in about 20 minutes. The person who drinks all those empty calories from Snapple is going to feel like they need to eat a meal pretty soon, even though, for the purpose of the metabolism, they already had one.

That's how empty calories and calorie-dense foods make people fat without them ever realizing what's going on. They don't feel like they're overeating, but "how much energy you ingested" vs "how much energy it feels like you ingested" are not nearly as closely-related as it would be assumed they would be.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
All I drink is water and black coffee. Never want to drink my calories. I know a lot of people despise drinking water though. Throw some BCAA's in. Taste a lot better and could help while losing weight.

I was so close to being shredded before this Corona BS. I didn't have a cheat meal for like 3.5 months. I actually went to parties/bars and didn't drink which is unheard of for me. I haven't eaten horrible the last 2-3 weeks. Just not ideal. I need to stop making excuses about it being because of Corona and get back on the wagon.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well, if you're just eating meats and some greens, that probably puts you into a ketogenic state, which causes a lot of weirdness you'd need a researcher to properly explain.

But generally, yes. Ignoring amino acids and micronutrients, ignoring that certain types of foods require more energy to digest, if healthy meal X has 650 calories in it, the body will get the same energy from 650 calories of sweet tea.

Difference there is satiation. A meal of 9 oz turkey breast, 1/2 cup of oats, 6 oz blackberries and a stalk of broccoli would leave most people feeling pretty full for a while. An equivalent caloric amount of Snapple may make you feel bloated, but you're going to be as hungry as if you've eaten nothing in about 20 minutes. The person who drinks all those empty calories from Snapple is going to feel like they need to eat a meal pretty soon, even though, for the purpose of the metabolism, they already had one.

That's how empty calories and calorie-dense foods make people fat without them ever realizing what's going on. They don't feel like they're overeating, but "how much energy you ingested" vs "how much energy it feels like you ingested" are not nearly as closely-related as it would be assumed they would be.

My anatomy teacher in college told us that your body also emits an odor according to your diet.

If you eat meats your body emits that odor.
If you drink lots of soda and other crap also....

I wonder if there was ever a study on the changing body odors that occur between diets. That seems really interesting to me.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
All I know is that when I tried any sort of fad diet to lose weight, my armpits smelled like onions. :laugh:

I don't take my diet nearly as seriously now as I did when I was in my 20s, that's for sure. I like having a beer with dinner or some cocktails with friends on the weekend way too much.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One trick I picked up from a trainer years ago-- juice and prepackaged smoothies are the absolute devil if you're looking to lose weight.

A protein shake or a smoothie at home is usually fine, but things like Naked juices, Snapple, and so on are really seriously jacked in terms of sugar content.
100% - I was really shocked to see how little sugar I actually take in once really finding healthy foods. Sugar comes from fructose in fruits but basically outside of that, my sugar intake from food is legit so insanely low.

Except peanut butter. Holy shit I love peanut butter. :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My anatomy teacher in college told us that your body also emits an odor according to your diet.

If you eat meats your body emits that odor.
If you drink lots of soda and other crap also....

I wonder if there was ever a study on the changing body odors that occur between diets. That seems really interesting to me.

If there isn't any such study, I assume it's because researchers don't want to spend years smelling the armpits of strangers. Some knowledge is just not worth the cost of acquiring it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Weight plates I ordered from Titan were lost during shipping and they have no more so they just refunded me. A few more weeks of jogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->