Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
*** I cannot stress this enough. Some political talk is fine, but once we start to show party lines, it's 100% done. This is not a political debate. We can talk about how it affects politics (unemployment, help on the way financially, etc) - but we cannot go into party lines. I will immediately remove you from the thread. There will be no more warnings.***

It looks like we are going through out stages as this virus frustrates all of us. Anger is quite the overall response right now. I just want to reiterate to please be careful on political discussion. Obviously it will play a slight role but we just have to be aware.

Let's learn to respect and love one another. Heated discussion is good, but learn when to agree to disagree.

Reactions: BHD and Coastal Kev

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Back to fitness just for 1 second. I don't care if it's your first day in fitness or you have been doing this for 20 years. Celebrate what you do. Whatever gets you to move will keep you healthier in this time. It's also going to help mentally. So pleaseeeeee just stick with it and be positive. Don't let people tell you a diet or an exercise is better for you. What you enjoy doing is going to be best for you. I cannot stand when people go out there and claim 1 thing is 100% better. Sure.. HIIT is awesome but some people hate doing it. Fasting is great for me, but people with families would haaaaaaaate it. Just do what you can do. It's going to be good for you.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like using fitness apps to track repetitions and weight, estimate calories burned, as well as to organize workouts for myself (because I'm lazy). Does anyone have any recommendation for good bodyweight workout apps? I was using FitBod but their bodyweight workouts aren't so great.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like using fitness apps to track repetitions and weight, estimate calories burned, as well as to organize workouts for myself (because I'm lazy). Does anyone have any recommendation for good bodyweight workout apps? I was using FitBod but their bodyweight workouts aren't so great.
I need something like that. Bodyweight or normal weights or whatever. I've never actually had an organized plan for the lifting/strength part of my exercise. It's always just been tagged on top of cardio.

I do have a question for the gym folks. Are there any decent alternatives to deadlifting? Or does anyone have any experience with Planet Fitness? They don't have any full bars that aren't attached to smith machines, just the smaller curl bars. I find a lot of mixed answers just searching online. Is this list decent? If Doing Deadlifts Isn't an Option, Try These Exercises

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, did someone mention Marsha Law?

giphy.gif

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I need something like that. Bodyweight or normal weights or whatever. I've never actually had an organized plan for the lifting/strength part of my exercise. It's always just been tagged on top of cardio.

I do have a question for the gym folks. Are there any decent alternatives to deadlifting? Or does anyone have any experience with Planet Fitness? They don't have any full bars that aren't attached to smith machines, just the smaller curl bars. I find a lot of mixed answers just searching online. Is this list decent? If Doing Deadlifts Isn't an Option, Try These Exercises

I'd also add a single leg KB deadlift to that list.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I don't know if they have an app, but this website is pretty good:

DAREBEE - Fitness On Your Terms.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To complete my home gym to at least get me through the summer I need a pair of 40s and 60s DBs. Typically that would run about $200. Any suggestions for people here? I would love to go heavier but i am not going to pay astronomical numbers when i have 2 gyms once the world returns to normalcy.

Any thoughts?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

I do have a question for the gym folks. Are there any decent alternatives to deadlifting? Or does anyone have any experience with Planet Fitness? They don't have any full bars that aren't attached to smith machines, just the smaller curl bars. I find a lot of mixed answers just searching online.

Dumbbell deadlift. But honestly I don't deadlift anymore I don't see the point. Only time I hurt myself in the gym, I tweaked my back deadlifting. I watched an interview with a guy who has one of the highest deadlifts and he says he regrets it and don't do deadlifts. It's not worth messing up your back. He brought up some valid points, football players don't do deadlifts. Having a strong back is pointless.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
To complete my home gym to at least get me through the summer I need a pair of 40s and 60s DBs. Typically that would run about $200. Any suggestions for people here? I would love to go heavier but i am not going to pay astronomical numbers when i have 2 gyms once the world returns to normalcy.

Any thoughts?

For what? Swings? General strength stuff?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I used to have those dumbbell handles that you could slide smaller change plates on and off to make them heavier or lighter. Was convenient.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dumbbell deadlift. But honestly I don't deadlift anymore I don't see the point. Only time I hurt myself in the gym, I tweaked my back deadlifting. I watched an interview with a guy who has one of the highest deadlifts and he says he regrets it and don't do deadlifts. It's not worth messing up your back. He brought up some valid points, football players don't do deadlifts. Having a strong back is pointless.
Honestly the reason I would do them is because I've read a bunch about how squats and deadlifts are just super efficient at working a lot of the body. I'm really not overly concerned about strength, just looking to be more fit in general. I definitely don't want to mess up my back though. Maybe deadlifts aren't something I should even worry about.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know why that whole situation bugs me QUITE as much as it does. But it does. One of the silliest most tonedeaf things I've seen since like... well... a week or so before that video was released, I guess.

*sigh*

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Honestly the reason I would do them is because I've read a bunch about how squats and deadlifts are just super efficient at working a lot of the body. I'm really not overly concerned about strength, just looking to be more fit in general. I definitely don't want to mess up my back though. Maybe deadlifts aren't something I should even worry about.

Yeah, if you look at instagram or something. They post these flashy pictures of deadlifting engages all of this and shows like full body. But if you focus on the main compound lifts; squat, bench, ohp, rows. You are going to hit/engage all of that anyways.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For what? Swings? General strength stuff?

Well the things i'm missing right now are heavy DL (hex bar / straight bar) and heavy chest press/shoulder press. But if i get 60s I can do sets of 15,which is far from sets of 5-6 but I can at least crush out some burnout reps of 15 incline/flat bench with 60s and shoulder press sets of 6.

But like you posted. I can do sets of 15 dl, sumo dl, single leg dl. Sets of 15 incline/flat bench.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, if you look at instagram or something. They post these flashy pictures of deadlifting engages all of this and shows like full body. But if you focus on the main compound lifts; squat, bench, ohp, rows. You are going to hit/engage all of that anyways.

The only thing i'll disagree with is that the trap bar DL/Squat (to me it's a variation of both) is amazing. It's full body and great for athletes. My legs are stroooooonnng from it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm about 4 hours in to Dragon Quest XI and it seems like a really solid old-school JRPG. Seems like something that would be up your alley if you haven't checked it out.

I suck at playing Dragon Quest games. As with most of them I have it, it came out at a terrible time and was buried by other games I was playing at the time, and it's such a long game that it's stuck in the eternal limbo that is my gaming backlog.

I'd probably love the series if it had any impact on my childhood, but Dragon Quest/Warrior was nowhere to be seen in the states when I was playing every 16 and 32-bit JRPG I could get my hands on.

The anticipation for Persona 5 Royal is getting to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I suck at playing Dragon Quest games. As with most of them I have it, it came out at a terrible time and was buried by other games I was playing at the time, and it's such a long game that it's stuck in the eternal limbo that is my gaming backlog.

I'd probably love the series if it had any impact on my childhood, but Dragon Quest/Warrior was nowhere to be seen in the states when I was playing every 16 and 32-bit JRPG I could get my hands on.

The anticipation for Persona 5 Royal is getting to me.
this is the first DQ I'm playing actually, so I get what you're saying. I was hesitant to buy it actually, but I just felt like playing a JRPG. I'm liking it so far. It's a bit goofy and nothing has blown me away so far, but it's good.

I have never played any Persona games. I just haven't owned the consoles to play them as far as I know. I know there's ways around all that, but there are enough games readily available to me that I want to play that I just don't care enough to go out of my way. I'm considering getting a PS4 though. I think there are enough games that I want to play on it to sway me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've seen it from different articles and lifting plans. I certainly didn't turn to Instagram for lifting advice. I obviously came to a hockey forum's thread on the modern plague for that :laugh:

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have never played any Persona games. I just haven't owned the consoles to play them as far as I know. I know there's ways around all that, but there are enough games readily available to me that I want to play that I just don't care enough to go out of my way.

That's a fair way to look at it. I just hope that changes sometime :D

The Vita was worth it on the basis of Persona 4 Golden alone and Persona 5 is the only game released outside of the mid-late 90s in my personal top 5. I sincerely hope Sony gave Atlus a shit-ton of money to keep that game exclusive, because there is not a single good reason Persona 5 Royal shouldn't be on the Switch otherwise. 100+ hour JRPGs are unquestionably best played on a handheld system.

Well. Unquestionably in normal circumstances. Considering the self-quarantine...a 100+ hour couch JRPG doesn't sound so bad right now.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The only thing i'll disagree with is that the trap bar DL/Squat (to me it's a variation of both) is amazing. It's full body and great for athletes. My legs are stroooooonnng from it.

Yeah, that's money if you got one.

I've seen it from different articles and lifting plans. I certainly didn't turn to Instagram for lifting advice. I obviously came to a hockey forum's thread on the modern plague for that :laugh:

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad