OT: Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Most social-distancing stuff I've seen doesn't have people going all the way into quarantine. Like I still need groceries. I still may need to pick up from restaurants, etc.

I think giving up working in the office and eating out/going out for drinks is still making a contribution. Even if it isn't perfect.

Exactly. Perfectly reasonable and responsible way of going about things.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KelInAZ

Oct 4, 2017
So. Toliet paper almost out at the store here. But shelves full of food. Glad ppl have their priorities straight

There was a riot at a Walmart near me when they brought out a new shipment of toilet paper. The cops came and had to restore order. Crazy.
I live in Arizona.

Reactions: billybudd

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There was a riot at a Walmart near me when they brought out a new shipment of toilet paper. The cops came and had to restore order. Crazy.
I live in Arizona.

Now that's insane, but that's people's stupidity, not the media's fault (not directed at you).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hey Jerry Falwell Jr said it was the North Koreans or China sending the US a Christmas present, so at least we know who to blame (insert sarcasm emoji).

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Real talk. How are people doing with conversations on the topic with friends and family? I've have 4 conversations with what I'm calling "It's just the flu" people and none have gone well. They either ended with "I'll believe what I want!" or "3% of people dying isn't that much."

I'm at a loss on how to approach this to get people to take it seriously. No amount of medical data or research seems to get through, ignoring the fact that two countries have closed themselves off, no amount of sports leagues being canceled, not even the National Emergency gets a second thought. I'm leaning toward the cut bait plan and don't bother, but it is truly disheartening.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Real talk. How are people doing with conversations on the topic with friends and family? I've have 4 conversations with what I'm calling "It's just the flu" people and none have gone well. They either ended with "I'll believe what I want!" or "3% of people dying isn't that much."

I'm at a loss on how to approach this to get people to take it seriously. No amount of medical data or research seems to get through, ignoring the fact that two countries have closed themselves off, no amount of sports leagues being canceled, not even the National Emergency gets a second thought. I'm leaning toward the cut bait plan and don't bother, but it is truly disheartening.

People are either brainwashed and mesmorized by everything they see on tv or they are stubborn and won't believe anything no matter who says something.

Why are you so concerned about it? It's not like your telling people something new. Everyone knows about it.

As long as someone doesn't cough or sneeze on you.

My 92 year old grand mother refuses to believe anything on tv. She says she lived her life and so did all the other old timers, if she dies she dies. Her only concern is if the kids get sick because they didn't experience life yet.

I'm just going along for the ride.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Stay calm, be respectful, keep citing the numbers from medical professionals and the measures countries around the world are taking.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Mostly good irl, tbh. The people I would have expected to be difficult and try to out stubborn it have gotten scared, or have been shamed enough to play along. The Problem is just a special case no one can do anything about.

I think there are some people who can’t be reasoned with and trying becomes an exercise in futility. Just physically stay away from them until things improve.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So what happens to the players?

Are they just sent home and that is it?

Report back after they hit the unpause button?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

You are going to find a certain... percentage... impossible to deal with. At this point in time it's best to just stay away from those individuals. They have chose their path and aren't likely to come back.

Everyone else usually responds well to simple, calm and deliberate FACTS and assurance that we do these things for the sake of our loved ones.

I haven't had any sort of pushback on this issue, myself. Not really. People are pretty shook.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You are going to find a certain... percentage... impossible to deal with. At this point in time it's best to just stay away from those individuals. They have chose their path and aren't likely to come back.

Everyone else usually responds well to simple, calm and deliberate FACTS and assurance that we do these things for the sake of our loved ones.

I haven't had any sort of pushback on this issue, myself. Not really. People are pretty shook.

It's also the environment you live in. City dwellers should be afraid... well not afraid, but conscious of being so close to so many people. Not just now either, but always.

People living in towns where contact with people is minimal and there is little to no outside visitors or travelers aren't going to feel too threatened by this.

Although no matter where you live, people will struggle to adjust to the necessary precautions implemented.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm going to the grocer now before the friday payday evening craze sets in.
If I come in contact and don't make it home.... tell my story.... it's a bit boring, but nobody has anything better to do for the next 2 months.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm the best man for a friend of mine's wedding in the fall and he's throwing a social (Manitoba thing where friends and family get together and raise money for the couple with alcohol sales, prizes, etc) tomorrow, but I'm bowing out. I have regular contact with an immediate family member in her mid 70s and I can't risk it.

He's disappointed and was originally dismissing the thing as a flu, but he kind of gets it after I explained myself, I think.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm the best man for a friend of mine's wedding in the fall and he's throwing a social (Manitoba thing where friends and family get together and raise money for the couple with alcohol sales, prizes, etc) tomorrow, but I'm bowing out. I have regular contact with an immediate family member in her mid 70s and I can't risk it.

He's disappointed and was originally dismissing the thing as a flu, but he kind of gets it after I explained myself, I think.

Like I said yesterday we canceled two and now likely three shows that had been in the works for months. It will cost us a thousands not to mention all the hours of rehearsals. But... I mean... at this rate there will be like 10 people there anyway. Plus it just isn't worth the risk. I too have regular contact with an elderly relative as do several other guys in the band. It really wasn't even much of a discussion.

I totally understand where people are coming from with the whole overreaction thing. I really do get it. But it's not like it hasn't already impacted me and my money and yet I can be a big boy about it and consider others.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is the exact thing I was talking about this morning. This tweet is leaving out context (these are potential numbers if no mitigation actions are performed) is solely trying to get clicks and scare people. It's absolutely bullshit.

Reactions: Jacob and Al Smith

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

This is the exact thing I was talking about this morning. This tweet is leaving out context (these are potential numbers if no mitigation actions are performed) is solely trying to get clicks and scare people. It's absolutely bullshit.

Tweets are regularly bullshit.

A lot of people seemed to be calling out the "mainstream media" earlier, and I've yet to see good evidence of that, at least regarding this virus. That's not to say that the media doesn't earn more than its share of criticism generally.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Mom was great, she always is. I was more concerned with dad because of his friends not taking anything seriously unless Trump says so. Dad is not a Trump guy, though. He took it seriously after we talked and actually canceled a trip to South Carolina for a 10k+ car show that his friends are still planning on going to. They're all in their 60s-70s.. just a bad idea.

I told a few of my friends to at least prepare for the people preparing because this thing is happening whether they're taking it seriously or not. They seem to have agreed and have at least stopped ignoring what's happening around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad