OT: Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ok. So I looked at the sick map Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
and in Austrailia, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson say they both have CV and are in a Australian hospital.
YET, on the sick map, there is only 1 case of CV in Australia.
hmmmmmmmm

Just what we need, conspiracy theories about celebrities. The map is out of date for Australia or their government is getting vastly different info.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert

As at 11:00 hrs on 13 March 2020, there were 156 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), including 3 deaths, in Australia.
  • 1 in Australian Capital Territory
  • 77 in New South Wales
  • 24 in Queensland
  • 11 in South Australia
  • 3 in Tasmania
  • 23 in Victoria*
  • 7 in Western Australia
  • 10 associated with the Diamond Princess cruise ship

You were fully capable of taking 30 seconds to think and use google.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
All I am saying are the numbers being represented from the most trustworthy source on the matter in the US. The actual death rate is 3% but Fauci says it's more likely to be at 1%, which again, is 10x the flu. This isn't me making shit up. This is me quoting the most trustworthy source in the US. He could be wrong, but I would hang my hat on his advice vs others in the administration trying to downplay for their own political goals.

That doesn't mean there ISN'T overreaction, but again, far better to overreact than under react. Of course, on a personal level, I'm not Y2K'ing over here. Just my normal routine plus working from home and practicing social distancing where it makes most sense.

What about those that are ramping this UP for their own political agenda? That is also going on out there. What's the saying, 'Never let a good crisis go to waste'? With such weak competition this cycle, what better way to hammer down the president and shake voters confidence?

Did anyone post the story of the woman who had CV and got better? She posted a big thing about the ordeal. I can't find it anywhere, figures. Short sum of it, she had a fever and light cough with achy bones. None of her family contacted it while she was in the house getting better.

I'm trying to find the good stories out there about it (mild cases) and they are buried in all the fear mongering factless opinion stories. No surprise really.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just what we need, conspiracy theories about celebrities. The map is out of date for Australia or their government is getting vastly different info.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert

You were fully capable of taking 30 seconds to think and use google.

Using google to verify anything is almost like using wikipedia (edited by the secret service).
You do know google just a branch of the government at this point and builds massive data collection libraries on people and sells the data of everything you do.

I use google for gifs and very sporadic instances I can't find something on duckduckgo.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So. Toliet paper almost out at the store here. But shelves full of food. Glad ppl have their priorities straight

Personally I'm hopeful that this is an important sign that the general population are finally waking up to the importance of good personal hygiene!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Using google to verify anything is almost like using wikipedia (edited by the secret service).
You do know google just a branch of the government at this point and builds massive data collection libraries on people and sells the data of everything you do.

I use google for gifs and very sporadic instances I can't find something on duckduckgo.

Great. Use whatever to search the Australian department of health. I linked it for you. Or maybe it’s all a conspiracy with google and the governments of the world where nothing can be trusted but you figured it out. They’ve made up 150+ fake cases of coronavirus in Australia to cover for Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson lying about it for attention. They would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t for that pesky map that somehow got the real numbers.

Reactions: Pens1566 and vodeni

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Great. Use whatever to search the Australian department of health. I linked it for you. Or maybe it’s all a conspiracy with google and the governments of the world where nothing can be trusted but you figured it out. They’ve made up 150+ fake cases of coronavirus in Australia to cover for Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson lying about it for attention. They would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t for that pesky map that somehow got the real numbers.

This guy is really worried about his parents.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Simply for perspective

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 18,469 deaths.
Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.

Call me skeptical of the overreaction to this virus. Especially when the rate of death is falling....... CDC first thought that rate would be 3-5% and is now hovering around 1%.

I bet when this is all said and done, people who pushed panic....

Of course, they can always suggest they were just trying to save us all. Why didn't the same reaction happen in 09? I think that's a fair question.

You're probably more right than wrong that there is more worrying than is justified, but as I've said a couple of times now, there are an abnormally high number of people in the US with pre-existing conditions that complicate Coronavirus recovery (diabetes, obesity, heart conditions, asthma, old age, immune issues). Coronavirus is harder to survive for this group than most airborne pathogens (bacterial pneumonia is an exception, but it's also treatable with anti-biotics). Survival for them often requires hospitalization. The more simultaneous hospitalizations, the more the medical facilities get stressed beyond what they're designed for, which makes it difficult for people who need non-Covid essential care to be able to get it in a timely manner. Or they contract it via proximity to infected when they otherwise wouldn't.

To prevent this scenario, the best course of action is probably overreaction (in terms of limiting gatherings and whatnot), because at least overreaction will mitigate the spread, thus mitigating the secondary effects on the medical system. Reduce overall exposure and you also reduce exposure of persons with COPD or who are on chemotherapy. You reduce the potential of delays in their standard, essential treatment. Now, maybe those people have poor life expectancy to begin with, but that's no reason to just write them off as not your problem.

This isn't the Spanish flu and it isn't the Black Death. This toilet paper hoarding thing is so stupid it would be hilarious if it wasn't so inconvenient.

But that doesn't mean each of us shouldn't do our part (within reason) to try to limit the numbers of people who are ultimately exposed to the virus by limiting our own exposure (and thereby our risk of further spreading it).

Finally, you're underestimating the litigiousness of our society. The NBA or Walt Disney World don't actually care about public health. What they do care about are the class action lawsuits that would eventually be generated as a result of any potential outbreak at their events. Whatever the public health necessity of these closings is, I don't think they are an over-reaction from a business/risk standpoint. If I was the EVP of (whatever) at Disney, I'd have closed the resorts a week ago.

4 people died of Hepatitis from one bad batch of lettuce bought by ChiChis and it ruined them financially. One day, they were the largest Mexican restaurant chain in the world and seven months after the lawsuits started they were a small chain, mostly operating in the Persian Gulf. The lesson there is that a business should never take chances with stuff like this.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm also gonna stop going to the gym and work out from home until this thing gets under control.

Anybody else?

I'm on the fence on the gym.

I think I'm going to go 2x/week and only do the stuff I can't do at home (i.e. big compound exercises with barbells). Like yesterday I just did weighted pullups, incline BB bench and a couple deadlifts, GTFOd after 30 minutes. Aside from that I'll be working out at home.

I do plan on working-working from home. I hope I can be productive that way over a sustained period of time. I'm interested in this test case for those people on LinkedIn who are devotees of the "everyone should be working from home" religion. I don't see it ending well for them. We should have the option to WFH but there has to be a balance with some in-person interaction.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Something tells me that if that guy knows anything about the "Illuminati" then it probably isn't worth knowing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This guy is really worried about his parents.

Yes, their embarrassing son says it’s fine and not everyone gets a death sentence with it. Must be lying. No mild cases.

You can just admit you were wrong and find a new, harder to disprove conspiracy theory that spreads misinformation. Or a mod can label this trolling,

Today I go the alt news route and see how deep down the conspiracy rabbit hole I can squeeze down.

I'll report back with crazy (but maybe true??) takes in no time.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'm on the fence on the gym.

I think I'm going to go 2x/week and only do the stuff I can't do at home (i.e. big compound exercises with barbells). Like yesterday I just did weighted pullups, incline BB bench and a couple deadlifts, GTFOd after 30 minutes. Aside from that I'll be working out at home.

I do plan on working-working from home. I hope I can be productive that way over a sustained period of time. I'm interested in this test case for those people on LinkedIn who are devotees of the "everyone should be working from home" religion. I don't see it ending well for them. We should have the option to WFH but there has to be a balance with some in-person interaction.

Yeah i dont know what to do about the gym. I dont have any equipment at home so i'm leaning towards just going.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm not trolling anyone. I'm not going with the cattle today.
Look at all my posts from yesterday, I went all day with the main stream news frenzy.
I already posted today, my first post, that I'm going the alt news route. So if you don't like it, seeya.
I wasn't wrong about anything, the map I posted was from drudge report so if you don't like it take it up with him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah i dont know what to do about the gym. I dont have any equipment at home so i'm leaning towards just going.
Most social-distancing stuff I've seen doesn't have people going all the way into quarantine. Like I still need groceries. I still may need to pick up from restaurants, etc.

I think giving up working in the office and eating out/going out for drinks is still making a contribution. Even if it isn't perfect.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Look at this guy. So he's smiling around joking? Even the two reporter whoever's are smiling about it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is more correct. There's a balance. This is worse than the flu. It needs to be respected. That said, we need measured responses to it, not panic. Both ends of the spectrum are wrong. "It's just the flu" is as bad as "ZOMG! This is magnitudes worse than the flu! Get the TP!" Like anything, the truth is in the middle.

Well, the top expert on infectious diseases did just say it's 10x more lethal than the flu.

I remember there being heightened concern but nothing like what the MSM is pushing right now. I do think there are certain reasons why but I won't get political. With that, I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions. This is where being honest with yourself as a person in a community in a country should come before a certain party affiliation. Are you giving a programmed response or are you informed?

The MSM isn't closing down other countries and dictating infection projections from the nation's top health authorities.

So. Toliet paper almost out at the store here. But shelves full of food. Glad ppl have their priorities straight

Time to invest in a bidet.

Did anyone post the story of the woman who had CV and got better? She posted a big thing about the ordeal. I can't find it anywhere, figures. Short sum of it, she had a fever and light cough with achy bones. None of her family contacted it while she was in the house getting better.

I'm trying to find the good stories out there about it (mild cases)

What sort of news does "person contracts mild case of pandemic virus, gets better" constitute?

and they are buried in all the fear mongering factless opinion stories. No surprise really.

Link?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
What about those that are ramping this UP for their own political agenda? That is also going on out there. What's the saying, 'Never let a good crisis go to waste'? With such weak competition this cycle, what better way to hammer down the president and shake voters confidence?

I'm trying to find the good stories out there about it (mild cases) and they are buried in all the fear mongering factless opinion stories. No surprise really.
I think a lot of the angst has to do with the wanton lack of responsible action on the part of the federal govt. Why don't we have tests available? South Korea performs more tests in a day than we have done in total. That is not made up, google it. They have drive up testing. It's not like we didn't see this coming. But the current administration indulges in magical thinking: it's a hoax, it will just go away etc. If you're not infuriated by this, you're not paying attention. We can't escape pandemics but it would be nice if people did what they are f***ing paid to. What should have been done? This. Taiwan has only 50 coronavirus cases. Its response to the crisis shows that swift action and widespread healthcare can prevent an outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad