Post-Game Talk: Refs Appreciation Thread

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh I agree.
I just dont have a lot of faith in the League to get the call right. I still have images of the 2017 playoffs flashing up when I think of an obvious Goaltender interference call.

Hate to say it but Talbot was an idiot for not trying to sell the call a bit. You have to make it obvious.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Right so he did bite and go down initially but then he goes and tries to push off of his left skate to come across and square up to Severson and before he can complete his push Nurse runs into his right pad causing him to lose his balance. If Nurse doesn't run into him at that crucial point he would've been able to push across and be in position to at least attempt a save while still upright.

Koskinen does flop on his back sometimes so I know it's easy to jump to that conclusion that that is what happened in this case but the video you've just shown as well as the other angles provided during the broadcast clearly show he was knocked over by Nurse, then further impeded by Palmieri.

Thanks for the video and breakdown. Unfortunate sequence. I retract faulting Koskinen for that goal. Nurse needs to not back in there and keep Palmeiri to the outside, something Nurse can physically easily do. No doubt Tippett will have a word with Nurse about that.

Nurse and Klef both do that, they skate back into the edge of crease. Why?

Anyway I stand corrected. That is a nice slo mo of the sequence.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Good news is that this team should improve as they go forward. They’re running 9 new skaters and a new HC with new systems. The fact they’re 4-0 is fantastic.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Oil need to bank as many points as they can. It's hilarious when "Haters" say they have an easy schedule. What do you expect them to do? Not win those games?

It's good to be cautiously optimistic and enjoy the wins at the same time.

Our Corsi is fairly low all across the board. Top 5 PP/PK. Just have to wait and see where it all normalizes.

On the flip side, We have not even seen crazy beat mode for Drai and McDavid yet. McDavid has been ok for 2/4 games. That is scary. He is tied for 1st in points playing "ok".

Reactions: The Oiler

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I think Smith’s numbers look a lot better if you subtract the 2 giveaway freebies. When he is actually in his net, he has been making some pretty good saves.
I also wonder if Neal was on the ice for these two goals. Calgary fans busting his balls about his -1

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
@Aerrol

+25 is way off when the mean for players around 100+ points is +18...

Not to mention McDavid is the highest paid player in the league...

I will moderate my stance and say Draisaitl "should" be +15 and McDavid +20. But realistically "The best player in the world" should be able to be even better when potting 116+ points in a year.

And of course plus minus is a meh stat. Primarily useful only when used properly in context. Like most stats... especially advanced stats.

I don't think you know what the 'mean' means... Using the numbers I posted for players 100 points and up, the mean is +14.75. Including McDavid and Draisaitl, that drops to 10.7. So yet again your target is way off.

And please, don't even attempt to compare +/- to Corsi, fenwick or high danger scoring chances. Those all have their problems too but have far more predictive value than a dumb stat that doesn't tell you anything other than who's lucky and/or has a bad team.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Here is a slo-mo play of NJ's 3rd goal. Nurse had his skate by Kosk's pads, but he just went down. Just needed to stay up....He bit.

Dissect much sheesh, he tried to push off to come across and because the NJ player was there he couldn't plant his skate and it made him fall. It was not interference the NJ player didn't move into Koskinen and was outside the crease. Case closed.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Dissect much sheesh, he tried to push off to come across and because the NJ player was there he couldn't plant his skate and it made him fall. It was not interference the NJ player didn't move into Koskinen and was outside the crease. Case closed.
Not really doing that. People were talking about it and I got a video of it. Nothing wrong with that....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hate to say it but Talbot was an idiot for not trying to sell the call a bit. You have to make it obvious.

The NHL blew that call just like they have blown other calls.
There is no such thing as an obvious goaltender interference cal in this League.

I have little to no faith that the League will get these calls right.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't think you know what the 'mean' means... Using the numbers I posted for players 100 points and up, the mean is +14.75. Including McDavid and Draisaitl, that drops to 10.7. So yet again your target is way off.

And please, don't even attempt to compare +/- to Corsi, fenwick or high danger scoring chances. Those all have their problems too but have far more predictive value than a dumb stat that doesn't tell you anything other than who's lucky and/or has a bad team.

You don't like plus minus I get it. But your math skills/logic are apparently as subjectional as your opinions.

14.75 apparently is not +15... "way off".

Pretty much sums up how this conversation went.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Missed game again.
Just caught up by reading thread.

Excellent stuff as usual gentlemen. My 'Nuge' hunch was off but sounds like we won ugly!

They all count!

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
You don't like plus minus I get it. But your math skills/logic are apparently as subjectional as your opinions.

14.75 apparently is not +15... "way off".

Pretty much sums up how this conversation went.

Nice deflection. I was referring to your snarky line that 25 wasn't far off of a +18 mean. But continue on making up numbers and pretending like they align with the actual stats.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Go to the Audio Vault for 630 Ched, Select 8PM on Oct. 10th, and skip to the 12:45 mark to listen to Al from New Jersey have a meltdown on air.

“You want to be a punk about it! *&$#@ you!” Ah... that’s gold. That said New Jersey should probably have won that game.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I also wonder if Neal was on the ice for these two goals. Calgary fans busting his balls about his -1
Neal has been on for 3 goals against, none of which he had anything at all to do with. 1 GA was on Smith (puckhandling), 1 GA was shorthanded goal against and 1 GA was on Klefbom (creating a turnover shooting into Palmieri last game).

Then he was on-ice for 2 EV goals for, both of which he actually scored, so there is also that.

This is a perfect example of why +- can be extremely misleading.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin and Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Neal has been on for 3 goals against, none of which he had anything at all to do with. 1 GA was on Smith (puckhandling), 1 GA was shorthanded goal against and 1 GA was on Klefbom (creating a turnover shooting into Palmieri last game).

Then he was on-ice for 2 EV goals for, both of which he actually scored, so there is also that.

This is a perfect example of why +- can be extremely misleading.
Especially because having a kickass PP solves a lot of ills and one player scoring 4 PP goals in 4 games is what the doctor ordered too.

I'm a purist, and I pay a lot of attention to what occurs 5 on 5, but not to the exclusion of other unit play.

All things combined win games and the Oilers have been an awesome special teams squad. Not great at 5 on 5 yet but getting there. We don't have a Giordano yet.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Top 5 PP and top 5 PK is a huge part of why the team is 4-0 so far.

I agree that people who point out only ES play are missing out a key element... that in a league with as much parity as the NHL... special teams absolutely can be the difference between a playoff spot or not.

If a team can even tread water at evens but best their opposition on the PP and PK... that can make the difference.

A good example from last year was Colorado who were only +5 at evens... yet on their special teams (PP and PK).. they outscored their opponents 72-63 so those extra 9 goals on the special teams made the difference in squeaking into a playoff spot.

Another example was Arizona.. who were right behind the Avs in the wildcard chase. Yotes were terrible at evens... minus 26 but their special teams outscored the opposition by 15 goals (including SH goals)... there's no way Arizona would even be in the playoff chase without their special teams contributing that well.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad