Refresh my memory and tell me why the Flyers didn't resign Emery?

Cardds*

Back in 2010-11, when he signed with the Ducks after recovering from his injuries, why didn't the Flyers give him another chance and resign him? Didn't we have the crappy duo of Nittymaki/Boucher nearing the playoffs when he finally returned that season? I just find it ironic that he's now with the team we played in the SCF in the same year he was supposed to be our starter until he had that season ending injury.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He had what was thought to be a career ending injury, or at the very least, an incredible risky injury. He still has the injury, it just hasn't been aggravated.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Don't remember the details...guess mostly the Flyers felt he was too much of a risk and they just wanted to move on..dunno?

All I know is if he was healthy during our cup run we prolly would have won it...but obviously we will never know. We do know that Leighton choked in the finals and for whatever reason he is still with this organization and in the NHL or at least he was until the other day.

Just amazing how many serious injuries this team has had to deal with that has contributed to the team's continued cupless streak...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Back in 2010-11, when he signed with the Ducks after recovering from his injuries, why didn't the Flyers give him another chance and resign him? Didn't we have the crappy duo of Nittymaki/Boucher nearing the playoffs when he finally returned that season? I just find it ironic that he's now with the team we played in the SCF in the same year he was supposed to be our starter until he had that season ending injury.

It was Boosh/Leighton, not Nitty. He began having hip problems in November, then missed time. When he returned, he wasn't back long before going out for the season. His hip had some form of necrosis. There was talk about him being fortunate to ever walk normally again; playing hockey seemed out of the question. So, Homer didn't take the risk due to injury. Anaheim did.

Edit: Unless you mean after Anaheim...his performance in Anaheim wasn't that amazing. We needed a starting goalie, not a backup...and it seems unlikely Emery will ever be more than a backup now. He can play, but his game has taken a hit. He started strong for Anaheim, for instance, but I remember he faded as time went on. It's hard to believe that hip isn't a factor...it's hard to believe it's not a ticking time bomb even today.

Cardds*

He had what was thought to be a career ending injury, or at the very least, an incredible risky injury. He still has the injury, it just hasn't been aggravated.

Oh ok I forgot about that and also did not know he still has it to this day.

Don't remember the details...guess mostly the Flyers felt he was too much of a risk and they just wanted to move on..dunno?

All I know is if he was healthy during our cup run we prolly would have won it...but obviously we will never know. We do know that Leighton choked in the finals and for whatever reason he is still with this organization and in the NHL or at least he was until the other day.

Just amazing how many serious injuries this team has had to deal with that has contributed to the team's continued cupless streak...

I know right! I remember being a bit excited the offseason we signed him, but also remember the Senators not wanting to resign him since he was risky. I also don't understand why Lavy stuck with Leighton that entire SCF after Game 1.

Cardds*

It was Boosh/Leighton, not Nitty. He began having hip problems in November, then missed time. When he returned, he wasn't back long before going out for the season. His hip had some form of necrosis. There was talk about him being fortunate to ever walk normally again; playing hockey seemed out of the question. So, Homer didn't take the risk due to injury. Anaheim did.

Edit: Unless you mean after Anaheim...his performance in Anaheim wasn't that amazing. We needed a starting goalie, not a backup...and it seems unlikely Emery will ever be more than a backup now. He can play, but his game has taken a hit. He started strong for Anaheim, for instance, but I remember he faded as time went on. It's hard to believe that hip isn't a factor...it's hard to believe it's not a ticking time bomb even today.
Ok thanks for the posts, just wanted to clarify things. I forgot all about this stuff and/or didn't know. Was just wondering since he has good numbers this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It'll be interesting to see if he can maintain his performance, though. If I'm not mistaken he had a respectable start in Anaheim as well. If he manages to make a comeback it will be a remarkable story...the anti-DiPietro.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
the anti-DiPietro.

The fight where he janked up his knee had to be the most embarassing...:shakehead

DiPietro Timeline: A Promising Career Derailed by Injuries

The Islanders waived the 31-year-old goaltender Rick DiPietro on Friday. DiPietro, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft, has struggled to live up to expectations in a career troubled by injuries. Below is a timeline of his career.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2...line-a-promising-career-derailed-by-injuries/

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
Yeah, I consider it a wonderful story that he's able to play again. Really glad that worked out OK, 'cause it was scary when he was here.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I remember the phrase "hip necrosis" being thrown around

It just sounds nast doesn't it?

Yeah, I consider it a wonderful story that he's able to play again. Really glad that worked out OK, 'cause it was scary when he was here.

Yeah it's avascular nerosis. Basically there's no circulation to the the femur's head (avascular), and the bone starts to die. So there is a buildup of dead bone. That's just from memory. That way he made it sound was like it isn't going anywhere, and he just wants to play hockey now and worry about not being able to walk later.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I still don't understand why they resigned Leighton this year if injuries were an excuse for giving up on Emery. Not only has Leighton failed to prove to be a competent back-up in this league, but he also has been a very injury-prone player during his tenure with the Flyers.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I still don't understand why they resigned Leighton this year if injuries were an excuse for giving up on Emery. Not only has Leighton failed to prove to be a competent back-up in this league, but he also has been a very injury-prone player during his tenure with the Flyers.
OK, but the injury situation was different, so you can't really put forward that argument.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

With hindsight it looks bad but all reports were that his career was over. He would have made the perfect Flyers Goalie if the injury did not happen.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The hip necrosis isn't necessarily a career ender. Brett Favre also had necrosis of his hip and he was able to play football for a long time. The thing will be, once the playing days are over, hip replacement is almost certain. With the advancements made in joint replacement technology, it's no longer the life sentence that it's made out to be either. Honestly, I don't think the Flyers were willing to see if Emery could rebound from the necrosis though because for the first several weeks after getting his hip operated on, even Emery wasn't sure if he would ever play again. As much as Holmgren gets thrown under the bus for the moves he does and doesn't make, it was pretty smart to walk away from this. I know he was interested when Ray started playing again, but sometimes it's better to not take that chance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That one's the coach. We know he has undying loyalty to Leighton for some reason. And the GM obviously feels that one backup isn't any different from the next, that's why he keeps bringing back Leighton and Boucher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad