Referees & Rules

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Can a linesman override another linesman on an off-side call?

The scenario:

Player is skating the puck towards the zone, gets taken down against the boards shy of the blue line. His teammate that was trailing him picked up the puck and continued the rush while the player who fell down is sliding towards the blue line.

The linesman on the blue line had to back into the zone a few feet to avoid the player that was sliding forward. The teammate that picked up the puck carried the puck in before the other players body was completely over the line, and the linesman waved off the off-side. The back linesman, who was all the way across the ice and at the far blue line blew the play off-side after the one who was closest to the play waved it off.

His explanation was that he judged that the closest linesman was no longer in the right position to make the call so he called it offside.

Thoughts?

My reaction was if the nearest linesman was no longer in position to make the call(he had to move all of 5 feet into the zone to avoid the player), then why did he wave it off in the first place?

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Make the call only if the Linesman, who is responsible for the blue line is out of position and UNABLE to make the call. The Linesman who is on the other side of the ice shouldn't make a habit of doing it.

In how you describe it, the Linesman, who's line it was, was able to make the call and he waved it off.

You also state that the player's body was not completely across the line. The player's skates determine whether it's an offside or not. If both of his skates were not completely over the line, while he was sliding into the zone, he was not offside. If one skate is in the zone and the other skate is in contact with the ice and not completely over the line, when the puck is carried across the line, he is not offside. If one skate is in the zone and the other skate not completely over the line, but not in contact with the ice, when the puck is carried across the line, then he is offside.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

The scenario:

Player is skating the puck towards the zone, gets taken down against the boards shy of the blue line. His teammate that was trailing him picked up the puck and continued the rush while the player who fell down is sliding towards the blue line.

The linesman on the blue line had to back into the zone a few feet to avoid the player that was sliding forward. The teammate that picked up the puck carried the puck in before the other players body was completely over the line, and the linesman waved off the off-side. The back linesman, who was all the way across the ice and at the far blue line blew the play off-side after the one who was closest to the play waved it off.

His explanation was that he judged that the closest linesman was no longer in the right position to make the call so he called it offside.

Thoughts?

My reaction was if the nearest linesman was no longer in position to make the call(he had to move all of 5 feet into the zone to avoid the player), then why did he wave it off in the first place?

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't, but you shouldn't do it. If your partner has clearly waved it off, you should not discredit them, it makes them look stupid and you should always back them up. If your partner does not make any signal and is out of position, go ahead and call it.

I just let my partner do their own thing and call their own line, even if the benches moan that he's missed something and it looks offside from my position I will just say not my call. Of course I come down to cover the line when I have to.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Last night in beer league we went to a 7 round shootout. We had to score to tie. It was 5-4 them. The ref closet to the goalie called it a goal,but the head ref half way across the rink at center ice said it was no goal. The go did not count and we got hosed. The puck hit the top crossbar and went downward, which I always thought it was a goal on the motion. The ref who waived no goal plays with several players on the team on a different night and team. We approached the league commissioner and he said there is not anything he can do. Does this seem like a correct call or logical?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Last night in beer league we went to a 7 round shootout. We had to score to tie. It was 5-4 them. The ref closet to the goalie called it a goal,but the head ref half way across the rink at center ice said it was no goal. The go did not count and we got hosed. The puck hit the top crossbar and went downward, which I always thought it was a goal on the motion. The ref who waived no goal plays with several players on the team on a different night and team. We approached the league commissioner and he said there is not anything he can do. Does this seem like a correct call or logical?

That's BS, referee on the goal line has to make the decision.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
The Linesman who is on the other side of the ice shouldn't make a habit of doing it.
There is nothing in the rules that says you can't, but you shouldn't do it.
This is always a tough situation and discussed with refs often. In the end, you want to have the CORRECT call be made on the ice.

I hate to say it but the situation of the game and my partner would be factors in this. Also, as stated, I wouldn't make a habit or doing it at all. If I was the back linesman in the situation above and I was 100% sure it was offsides, I would blow the play dead and make the correct call. If I was anything less than 100% sure on my call, I would let my partner's call stand.

On the other side of the situation, if I was the linesman making the call at my line and my partner blew it dead saying he was 100% sure on his call, I would be fine with him doing so. I know a lot of other refs that would not agree with me on that one though and would be upset someone discredited their call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad