Ref waives no goal, while looking at the puck in the net

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Tampa vs Philly game.

Probably one of the most bizarre sequences I've ever seen in hockey. The puck gets fired into Vasi and no one knows where it is. Vasi gets up and the puck is sat there 6 inches over the line. Giroux starts celebrating, then the ref skates over, while looking directly at the puck over the line and waives no goal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thankfully the review gives the good goal.
I'll update with a gif if someone grabs one.

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020
Tampa vs Philly game.

Probably one of the most bizarre sequences I've ever seen in hockey. The puck gets fired into Vasi and no one knows where it is. Vasi gets up and the puck is sat there 6 inches over the line. Giroux starts celebrating, then the ref skates over, while looking directly at the puck over the line and waives no goal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thankfully the review gives the good goal.
I'll update with a gif if someone grabs one.
3/10 thread. No video. Very clickbaity

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Since you started the thread but provided no video, I'll post this one. Teravainen tripped by Fleury in the shootout with an open net in front of him and no call. Canes screamed for refs to look at it, but to no avail. I know officiating is an extremely difficult endeavor, and I can understand how refs can miss a lot during games given that there's so much going on. But how do they miss something like this? What else could they have possibly been looking at?

giphy.gif

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Since you started the thread but provided no video, I'll post this one. Teravainen tripped by Fleury in the shootout with an open net in front of him and no call. Canes screamed for refs to look at it, but to no avail. I know officiating is an extremely difficult endeavor, and I can understand how refs can miss a lot during games given that there's so much going on. But how do they miss something like this? What else could they have possibly been looking at?

giphy.gif
I don't think I've ever seen a shootout attempt where a goalie committed a penalty before (or was even in a position to commit one). What's the rule? Goal awarded? Re-take?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

giphy.gif

No call? Do you realize that there's no penalties in the shootout?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I don't think I've ever seen a shootout attempt where a goalie committed a penalty before (or was even in a position to commit one). What's the rule? Goal awarded? Re-take?
From rule 24.4, not that it’s really relevant to this discussion:

When an infraction worthy of a minor penalty is committed by the goalkeeper during the penalty shot that causes the shot to fail, no penalty is to be assessed but the Referee shall permit the shot to be taken over again.

Reactions: KCbus

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No call? Do you realize that there's no penalties in the shootout?

Yeah, no call. But, imagine how fun shootouts would be if it truly was the case that there were no consequences for anything a goalie did during a shootout? (and I presume the same applies to a penalty shot?) Shades of the Roman Coliseum! :D

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

giphy.gif
That's BS. He should get another chance. And hopefully Fleury does the same thing. And then another chance...

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
What if the goalie is beat and he throws his stick (or something similar)?

The only 2 things specifically mentioned are if the goalie throws his stick or dislodges the net, both of which would result in the other team being awarded a goal. But for something like a trip (or even a poke check to the face), according to the rules (as I read them), it only results in the fouled player being awarded another chance. Seems like a hole in the rules to me.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The only 2 things specifically mentioned are if the goalie throws his stick or dislodges the net, both of which would result in the other team being awarded a goal. But for something like a trip (or even a poke check to the face), according to the rules (as I read them), it only results in the fouled player being awarded another chance. Seems like a hole in the rules to me.
Dang, so the goalie can slash the player in the face, and the only consequence is the player now gets to retry the chance while concussed? Maybe goalies should try that more often? Lol

(I know goalie would get pretty big suspension by player safety after game)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Dang, so the goalie can slash the player in the face, and the only consequence is the player now gets to retry the chance while concussed? Maybe goalies should try that more often? Lol

(I know goalie would get pretty big suspension by player safety after game)

Like I said, Shades of the Roman Coliseum! :popcorn: Really does seem like there's a hole in the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad