Referees: Ref Slaps kid, Brawl Ensues

DyerMaker66*

Well it's along the lines of 'walk to a fight, run to a fire'; and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because you can't google it. I'm sure others have heard it before.

:laugh: It's probably because you made it up. I wonder what else you've made up in this thread.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
One last thing before I go. DyerMaker66, you keep on using the word abuse. If you look up the definition of child abuse it says:

Child abuse is when a parent or caregiver, whether through action or failing to act, causes injury, death, emotional harm or risk of serious harm to a child.

The ref is neither a parent or caregiver, so abuse doesn't pertain to this situation.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Ah it obviously becomes necessary, cops use force, yes? It's pretty clear that when someone starts assaulting you force can be necessary to stop it. I don't get what's so difficult about that.

What does your question have to do with the ref abusing his power and the kid? Should I start roughing up your friend, family member, or teammate in front of you and expect no retribution in return? Do I just take free shots and expect you to stand there and watch?

By your logic then, you can rough up a friend of mine, with a slap, and I can come back and beat the everlasting crap out of you until you are in a coma...

Right?

DyerMaker66*

One last thing before I go. DyerMaker66, you keep on using the word abuse. If you look up the definition of child abuse it says:

Child abuse is when a parent or caregiver, whether through action or failing to act, causes injury, death, emotional harm or risk of serious harm to a child.

The ref is neither a parent or caregiver, so abuse doesn't pertain to this situation.

It does?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=child+abuse

1.physical maltreatment or sexual molestation of a child.

Not satisfied?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/pubs/ccaps-spcca/chi-enf-eng.htm

Child abuse refers to any form of physical, psychological, social, emotional or sexual maltreatment of a child whereby the survival, safety, self-esteem, growth and development of the child are endangered. There are four main types of child abuse: neglect, emotional, physical and sexual.

A child may display signs indicated in the following text, however this is not conclusive evidence that abuse is taking place. It is important to be aware of the indicators, behavioural changes and the presence of these signs in clusters and not just the presence of one indicator. This list is not exhaustive.

Again, no mention of parent or caretaker. These searches took me 3 seconds, and one is from the highest form of police in Canada, so I think I'll take their definition over yours.

Here is what they have to say about parents and caregivers:

•The vast majority of child abusers are parents, relatives, or trusted adults, not strangers.

That does not say child abuse can only be committed by a parent or caregiver.

And a referee is a caretaker of the ice and all who are on it, so it even fits that definition.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyerMaker66*

By your logic then, you can rough up a friend of mine, with a slap, and I can come back and beat the everlasting crap out of you until you are in a coma...

Right?

The referee is in a coma now? Oh wait, no one on the ice did that.

DyerMaker66*

It was a hyperbole. Kind of like you going on page after page about this being child abuse.

Nah, you were just trying to make him out to be the victim. Poor referee. :nopity:

I'm answering posts that are replying to me. Like cowboy82nd who misquoted a definition or Goonzilla who thinks it's okay for a ref to rough up kids.

What if the referee had taken the stick from the kid and beat him with it, would it be assault then? #hyperbole

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Nah, you were just trying to make him out to be the victim. Poor referee. :nopity:

I'm answering posts that are replying to me. Like cowboy82nd who misquoted a definition or Goonzilla who thinks it's okay for a ref to rough up kids.

What if the referee had taken the stick from the kid and beat him with it, would it be assault then? #hyperbole

I didn't misquote anything. I took it right off of the National Child Abuse Hotline front page. Maybe that is the one for the U.S. (it does have a 1-800 phone number), but that's what it says. And now are you making stuff up? Your second paragraph never happened but according to you, that's what happens in hockey games so it's not assault. And did we just go from abuse to assault? Interesting

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The referee is in a coma now? Oh wait, no one on the ice did that.

Not the point,

You said that if you were to slap someone in my family, I would have the right to use force to stop you,

So your logic dictates, that I can put you in a coma, if you slap someone in my family....

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'd sure like to see that statute. Generally speaking an assault is the application of some sort of force to another person where no legal defense or justification to do so is present. Most assaults don't result in injury.

I've been assaulted quite a few times, never really injured. There are two assaults being mainly referenced in this video, the referee lashing out at the player and the other player who then attacks the referee from behind. Both I'd suspect or suggest are outside of or not really covered by the rules of the game and both would meet any legal definition of assault that I've ever seen.

Will do. See below. Again, like my post stated, this is going by New York laws.

coming from a lawyer, you have no idea what you are talking about

Oh god.. I feel bad for your clients, you should be EMBARRASSED. :laugh:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Assault in the 3rd degree:
A person is guilty of assault in the third degree when:
1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes
such injury to such person
or to a third person
; or
2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or
3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to another
person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.
Assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

Assault in the second degree.
A person is guilty of assault in the second degree when:
1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he
causes such injury to such person
or to a third person; or
2. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes
such injury to such person or to a third person
by means of a deadly
weapon or a dangerous instrument; or

Assault in the first degree.

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:
1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he
causes such injury to such person or to a third person
by means of a
deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or
2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently,
or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his
body, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harassment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with
intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or

2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
legitimate purpose.
Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to
activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended,
the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor
management act, as amended.
Harassment in the second degree is a violation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So Mr Lawyer? What do you have to say about that? Can't imagine you ever passed a single bar exam, chump.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Did you read my posts at all dude? Or are you just being a jerk?

I'll let you re-read my original post:

There was no "assaults" in the video. Assault means there was some sort of injury, obvious there wasn't from what I can tell.

At worst its a charge of harassment, a violation, not even a crime.

(Going by New York laws).

Last edited:

DyerMaker66*

And now are you making stuff up? Your second paragraph never happened
You quite clearly did, as I demonstrated that is not the definition in not just one but two places.

but according to you, that's what happens in hockey games so it's not assault.
Not according to me, according to the rules of the game. :shakehead
I can't believe you're arguing that.

And did we just go from abuse to assault? Interesting
I suppose it was expecting too much of you to not take a sentence that was clearly labelled "#hyperbole" in a serious manner.

DyerMaker66*

Not the point,

You said that if you were to slap someone in my family, I would have the right to use force to stop you,

So your logic dictates, that I can put you in a coma, if you slap someone in my family....

No it doesn't, as no one put anyone in a comma in this situation when they all clearly used force. It's almost like you don't understand what excessive force is. Just watch the ref hit the kid and maybe you'll get it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No it doesn't, as no one put anyone in a comma in this situation when they all clearly used force. It's almost like you don't understand what excessive force is. Just watch the ref hit the kid and maybe you'll get it.

So you think one slap to the helmet is excessive force, yet, several punches to the back of the head, is....justified?

Forgot the dynamics of adult vs 15 year old here,

No one, (except in your mind) is defending the official, first of all, there was nothing to come out that slap, it was pointless, didn't do anything, didn't need it, etc.

But the kid was NEVER in any danger of being pummeled by the ref like you want to believe, so was he wrong, absolutely,

And you think the price for being wrong is to be on the receiving end of a what, a dozen punches to the back of the head?

You sound like so many weekend warriors....

DyerMaker66*

So you think one slap to the helmet is excessive force, yet, several punches to the back of the head, is....justified?
Considering one was assault/ child-abuse and the other was self-defence, yes.

Forgot the dynamics of adult vs 15 year old here,

Forget a major part of what's wrong with it? Sure, I guess.

No one, (except in your mind) is defending the official, first of all, there was nothing to come out that slap, it was pointless, didn't do anything, didn't need it, etc.
You quite clearly are, or this discussion would be over.

But the kid was NEVER in any danger of being pummeled by the ref like you want to believe, so was he wrong, absolutely,
You don't know that at all. The guy just hit a kid for no reason, who knows what he was going to do next? The fact is if he didn't majorly eff up we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's all on him.

And you think the price for being wrong is to be on the receiving end of a what, a dozen punches to the back of the head?

:shakehead He wasn't just "wrong", he hit someone else's kid and abused his power as an official to do so.

You sound like so many weekend warriors....

:laugh: Yeah, all of us weekend warriors spend our time arguing with people who support refs hitting kids. And yes, you are supporting it, because if you hit a minor you deserve to be pummelled. Don't like what happened? Don't hit kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Considering one was assault/ child-abuse and the other was self-defence, yes.

Forget a major part of what's wrong with it? Sure, I guess.

You quite clearly are, or this discussion would be over.

You don't know that at all. The guy just hit a kid for no reason, who knows what he was going to do next? The fact is if he didn't majorly eff up we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's all on him.

:shakehead He wasn't just "wrong", he hit someone else's kid and abused his power as an official to do so.

:laugh: Yeah, all of us weekend warriors spend our time arguing with people who support refs hitting kids. And yes, you are supporting it, because if you hit a minor you deserve to be pummelled. Don't like what happened? Don't hit kids.

Watch the video again,

He slaps the kid once....a few seconds goes by and he gets attacked,

And you are a first class moron if you think what the second kid did was "justifiable" hate to be blunt, but there really is no other way to put it.

The ref screwed up, absolutely, no reason to slap a kid in the helmet, but holy christ man, think for once, the kid...was wearing...a helmet...and absorbed, a short...cuff...to the side...of the head...

I had to spell that out there, because you seem to believe the ref cold-cocked him from behind and didn't let up....oh wait...that was the other kid, who didn't even see what happened....

BTW, try explaining self defense...when the kid who attacked him, DIDN'T SEE WHAT HAPPENED.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
You want to ban a kick from hockey for life for defending himself against someone who abused their authority in order to abuse him? That's a bunch of bull.

Zero tolerance is the worst thing to happen to sports. All situations are not equal and treating them as such demonstrates that you're either too lazy to analyze the situation or you just don't care enough to. Neither is something the world of sports needs.

Haven't checked this thread until now, but yes, I do want him banned for life for viciously assaulting an official. He doesn't deserve a second chance, nor does the official.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Lol at the posters that keep calling these brats poor abused "children". Or if they're indeed
children, they should've NEVER hit an adult, NEVER. It's simply a cultural taboo, in a civilized
society at least.

Last edited:

selyak

Dec 1, 2015
Philadelphia
FLYLine24 - the only problem with your analysis is that you are posting the New York assault statute. This incident happened in Michigan, not New York. Under Michigan's assault law (which defines an assault to include an attempt to cause physical harm), the ref's conduct would almost certainly fall within the definition of assault.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FLYLine24 - the only problem with your analysis is that you are posting the New York assault statute. This incident happened in Michigan, not New York. Under Michigan's assault law (which defines an assault to include an attempt to cause physical harm), the ref's conduct would almost certainly fall within the definition of assault.

I know, like I said in my original post is that the laws I were posting were New York, since I know the laws in the NY. I was unsure of what state they are in the of that video (Wasn't aware it was Michigan).

Just trying to let people know that there is no one set of laws for the whole country that everyone goes by. Each state that different interpretation of what they consider an assault. Lawyer guy didn't realize that, must be a terrible lawyer if they thinks all laws are the same state to state.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Fact of the matter is that this is quite a valuable debate and I hope any mods don't feel the need to do anything about any content. It's an issue for coaches, players and parents because it doesn't just relate to incidents with referees, but with boundaries and discipline in general.

I would hope that anyone coaching kids tries to impart some skills or knowledge that is useful away from the playing arena as well as on it, including to be able to make smart decisions under pressure, to always think before they act and to be measured in their response to such situations.

Increasingly too many people seem unable to control or restrain themselves in a range of situations, not just at the rink, I think born out of frustrations or lack of control over other aspects of their lives.

There are some things that are just not acceptable; and a referee lashing out at a player or a player attacking anyone, let alone a referee, from behind both cross the line. Clearly some people will have differing opinions of where the line is or certainly some have some quite different world views and life experiences; or perhaps lack of.

One things for certain. Referees are much harder to find and more valuable than players are.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I know, like I said in my original post is that the laws I were posting were New York, since I know the laws in the NY. I was unsure of what state they are in the of that video (Wasn't aware it was Michigan).

Just trying to let people know that there is no one set of laws for the whole country that everyone goes by. Each state that different interpretation of what they consider an assault. Lawyer guy didn't realize that, must be a terrible lawyer if they thinks all laws are the same state to state.

Your really talking semantics though. I had a quick look at NY. Essentially, lower level 'assaults' are just called something else other than assault. They are still 'assaults' by most any dictionary definition.

So you are right, but others are also not wrong.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Your really talking semantics though. I had a quick look at NY. Essentially, lower level 'assaults' are just called something else other than assault. They are still 'assaults' by most any dictionary definition.

So you are right, but others are also not wrong.

Not semantics at all.

If I brought this case to the DA, and wanted "assault" charges against any of those parties I would be laughed out of the building.

There is no such thing as "lower level assaults" in New York, if there is no injury there is no assault, it's pretty cut and dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad