Referees: Ref Slaps kid, Brawl Ensues

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The camera just barely catches it but at the 10 second mark you can see the ref hit/slap the player on the side of his head, the kid then proceeds to kick the **** out of the ref, and I don't blame him. That guy should never referee again. Looks like one or two of the parents then grab the ref and have a few choice words for him.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Sorry but under no circumstances should you lay a hand on a ref. Even tugging at the jersey of a ref is crossing the line.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Saw that a few days ago.

The camera doesn't quite show everything, but regardless of the referee erring or exercising a lack of or bad judgement, you just don't touch the referee or umpire in any sport..ever.

That was disgraceful behaviour by a bunch of boys trying to be men, but not quite there yet; and some probably a long way off.

I don't know much about high school hockey, but if that's the sort of temperament and discipline that guys on that team have, none of them are likely to be going too far.

It doesn't show everything that might have happened with the player and ref, but those other guys flying in there ought to be done for the season; and I don't have any problems with a rumble ordinarily..but if you touch a ref you should be toast.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Sorry but under no circumstances should you lay a hand on a ref. Even tugging at the jersey of a ref is crossing the line.

Saw that a few days ago.

The camera doesn't quite show everything, but regardless of the referee erring or exercising a lack of or bad judgement, you just don't touch the referee or umpire in any sport..ever.

That was disgraceful behaviour by a bunch of boys trying to be men, but not quite there yet; and some probably a long way off.

I don't know much about high school hockey, but if that's the sort of temperament and discipline that guys on that team have, none of them are likely to be going too far.

It doesn't show everything that might have happened with the player and ref, but those other guys flying in there ought to be done for the season; and I don't have any problems with a rumble ordinarily..but if you touch a ref you should be toast.

and by the same token a Ref that hits a high school age player as this guy did should lose his job. He will never make it anywhere if he can't keep his composure.

From the clip the ref separated the one player and then took a swing at him. The rest of the players then getting involved took it too far.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
and by the same token a Ref that hits a high school age player as this guy did should lose his job. He will never make it anywhere if he can't keep his composure.

From the clip the ref separated the one player and then took a swing at him. The rest of the players then getting involved took it too far.

The kid the ref is trying to restrain/get off the ice has his hand pulling down at the refs collar. That's a no-no in my books. Should the ref have slapped him? Absolutely not. But it wasn't unwarranted.

DyerMaker66*

Uh I think the ref hitting the player is what took it too far.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
The kid the ref is trying to restrain/get off the ice has his hand pulling down at the refs collar. That's a no-no in my books. Should the ref have slapped him? Absolutely not. But it wasn't unwarranted.

The kid..one of the smaller ones..typically trying to prove something, is also jostling back with the ref. You don't know what may have been said or what the kid may have done which you can't see from the camera angle or continuity of the event.

That certainly doesn't excuse the ref if he has lashed out, but refs can make mistakes under pressure, be inexperienced , be subject to threats of verbal abuse or whatever. Regardless, the ref was predominantly try to break it up and remove the player from the fracas, who looked like he wanted to just keep going.

Players at that age have more than enough time to learn and now to behave towards refs. My sympathy is towards the ref, because whatever he might have done or tried, it didn't look like it would have caused any damage. Players are easier to replace than refs.

If I was a ref or in charge of organising them, if there weren't serious sanctions for those players who jumped in, that school would be without refs for their games for a while.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Not sure how you can single out the kids in your post and not even mention that idiot referee.

First off he was EXTREMELY aggressive with the children (yes CHILDREN). If you took note of what actually happened a kid come in to say a few words to the other kid and the ref like an animal violently grabs him by his collar and starts shoving him, then the kid tries to push him away which I don't blame since NOBODY should be touching him like that, then the refs hits him.

All that guy is a power hungry idiot who should have never been allowed to referee a children's hockey game. Hopefully when he got to the parking lot that kids dad gave him a real ass kicking for touching his kid like that.

And yes, i've been a referee for over 10 years and would NEVER touch a kid like that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The kids each got a 2 game suspension, and the referee got a 2 month suspension. Sad how he will still be refffing :facepalm:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Not sure how you can single out the kids in your post and not even mention that idiot referee.

First off he was EXTREMELY aggressive with the children (yes CHILDREN). If you took note of what actually happened a kid come in to say a few words to the other kid and the ref like an animal violently grabs him by his collar and starts shoving him, then the kid tries to push him away which I don't blame since NOBODY should be touching him like that, then the refs hits him.

All that guy is a power hungry idiot who should have never been allowed to referee a children's hockey game. Hopefully when he got to the parking lot that kids dad gave him a real ass kicking for touching his kid like that.

And yes, i've been a referee for over 10 years and would NEVER touch a kid like that.

The ref appears out of order, but I would suggest you'd need an inquiry of some sort to nail down exactly what happened, what the ref did and what the player did and why.

On the flip side though, you don't need anything near that to see the other players piling in and blindsiding the ref. All you need is the tape for that; and you can put hockey rules aside and substitute criminal law. It's an attack on a referee, disproportionate to anything the ref is seen doing and indefensible.

You break up fights?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
The kids each got a 2 game suspension, and the referee got a 2 month suspension. Sad how he will still be refffing :facepalm:

He might have been out his depth and screwed up bad under pressure..and might learn from it and be a better referee for it. Ultimately what damage did he do to the 'kid'?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The ref appears out of order, but I would suggest you'd need an inquiry of some sort to nail down exactly what happened, what the ref did and what the player did and why.

On the flip side though, you don't need anything near that to see the other players piling in and blindsiding the ref. All you need is the tape for that; and you can put hockey rules aside and substitute criminal law. It's an attack on a referee, disproportionate to anything the ref is seen doing and indefensible.

You break up fights?

You absolutely do not. Under no circumstances would it be ok with what he did unless the kid was mauling another kid on the ice or something and wouldn't stop.

A hockey glove to the side of the helmet? Yea, there is not one police department in the world that would be charging the kid criminally... if so then I guess the referee should be thrown in jail for hitting the kid too?

Yes I break up fights, by the techniques we are taught, like how they do in the NHL, not by grabbing people by the neck and hitting them.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I'm just curious here: if you got slapped across the head by a ref, how would you react?

I'm not suggesting the kid was correct in what he did, at all (the complete opposite, in fact) But if I'm being honest with myself, I think I would do the same thing.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
It honestly looks like #15 was just raring to go, and he's the one who jumped on the ref and you can see giving it him most. Is the ref a goof? Yeah, definitely, and so are the meathead kids who decided to double team the ref.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
That's not the point....

Well cause and effect is part of the equation. I'm not talking the kid so much, but the other ones in.

I'm not a referee, but I am 20 years LE. I'd have few qualms dealing with anyone attacking a referee or umpire during a game, but you weigh up all the circumstances, be proportionate and use a little discretion where appropriate.

You just never touch a referee..ever.

..and people can make mistakes..the ref made a big one..but all jumping on the ref to beat the #%^* out him is not a mistake. It is wholly disproportionate to what the ref did.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Number 15 should be banned for life. He attacked the ref from behind.
I don't give a **** that the ref slapped one of his teammates.

As for the ref, he should be suspended for the season.

The ref may have started it by slapping the kid but the response by the other team especially #15 was over the top.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

I have serious doubts you've been a referee for "over 10 years" but I'll take your word for it.

Well cause and effect is part of the equation. I'm not talking the kid so much, but the other ones in.

I'm not a referee, but I am 20 years LE. I'd have few qualms dealing with anyone attacking a referee or umpire during a game, but you weigh up all the circumstances, be proportionate and use a little discretion where appropriate.

You just never touch a referee..ever.

That's exactly what it comes down to imo. Let the refs association handle things post game. There are appropriate channels to lodge your complaint.

As a player, or a parent (directed at the adult who came onto the ice), you absolutely do not disrespect or lay a hand on the refs in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm just curious here: if you got slapped across the head by a ref, how would you react?

I'm not suggesting the kid was correct in what he did, at all (the complete opposite, in fact) But if I'm being honest with myself, I think I would do the same thing.

Come on, the ref was wrong, but it was a friggin slap not a bloody punch.

Anyone that reacts the way #15 did has anger and lack of control issues.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
The camera just barely catches it but at the 10 second mark you can see the ref hit/slap the player on the side of his head, the kid then proceeds to kick the **** out of the ref, and I don't blame him. That guy should never referee again. Looks like one or two of the parents then grab the ref and have a few choice words for him.

I agree that the referee should never ref again, but the kids that also went after the referee should get lifetime bans also. Respect the position if not the person.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Number 15 should be banned for life. He attacked the ref from behind.
I don't give a **** that the ref slapped one of his teammates.

As for the ref, he should be suspended for the season.

The ref may have started it by slapping the kid but the response by the other team especially #15 was over the top.

I'd certainly second that for #15..perhaps not for life, but a significant amount of time, rest of the season or 12 months at least.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'd certainly second that for #15..perhaps not for life, but a significant amount of time, rest of the season or 12 months at least.

What I mean is the rest of his life in high school. I'm guessing these guys are in grade 10 or 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad