Reevaluating the “terrible” 2012 draft class

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Either you got you GP numbers wrong, or the math needs some review... Especially if you aren't going to name the Dmen (presumably one is Rielly) those stats need to be right.

I meant last season, sorry. Defenseman A had 50 games less played than Defenseman B in the season and had only 8 goals less. And yes, it was Dumba s Reilly and Reilly only hit double digits in goals just last season. Dumba has been hitting double digits for a while now.

Reactions: Voight

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Historically weak = 1995 and 1999

2012 is alright-meh. Like 2014. 2013 depth sucks too.

2014 could be really good in hindsight. Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Point all have potential to be top-10 players in their position and there's a long list of solid top-6 players behind them.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Pretty homerish comment there. He might not even be the best defensemen, much less the best player from the draft.

Defenseman A: 342 GP, 56 goals, 94 assists for 150 points or .44 points per game. Goals per game? .16
Defenseman B: 470 GP, 51 goals, 192 points for 243 points or .52 points per game. Goals per game? .11

Defenseman A: 8.6 shot percentage
Defenseman B: 5.2 shot percentage

Defenseman A: + 34 career, 184 pims, 426 hits and 336 block shots
Defenseman B: -46 career, 103 PIMs, 407 hits and 635 block shots

Defenseman A had only 8 goals less than Defenseman B, while playing 50 games less.
Def B all day everyday.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Did you just mention Jordan Schmaltz as a player with a valuable role but not Radek Faksa, who was taken #13 in that draft and finished 7th in Selke voting just a couple of seasons ago. Think his role has been a little more important than Jordan's AHL one

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Voight

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I felt like the only one around here who didn't see anything special about Reinhart. I think his physical tools around age 17-18 fooled a lot of people into thinking he'd become good but to me I saw a guy with a passive approach to everything, offense and defense. I just couldn't imagine he'd be as bad as he was. I felt like he was a very risky pick at 4 but I thought he'd at least cut it as a bottom pairing defenseman.

Then I watched him with Vegas and learned that even bottom pairs need some degree of talent. Griffin has none. At least none that works in the NHL.
I was not big on Reinhart at all. Watching him with the Oil Kings I felt he relied on his size too much and couldn't skate well, he also seemed soft. Then again I was big on Murray and he didn't turn out great

Reactions: HanSolo

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Did you just mention Jordan Schmaltz as a player with a valuable role but not Radek Faksa, who was taken #13 in that draft and finished 7th in Selke voting just a couple of seasons ago. Think his role has been a little more important than Jordan's AHL one

:sarcasm:
I admit I blanked and thought of the wrong Schmaltz when I saw the 1st round pick list. Confused Jordan with Nick.

Faksa is definitely a solid defensive minded 3C caliber guy as well. Lots of useful NHL regulars in that 1st round, which is kind of my point.

Reactions: Kcb12345

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Who's better? I mean Forsberg has a decent case, so I wouldn't argue too much if someone said he was the best '12 draftee. Other than him, I'm drawing blanks.
I would definitely also say you could argue Vasilevskiy in a redraft. I know goalies as 1OA picks goes against conventional thinking, but hard to argue with the reigning Vezina winner. That said, Rielly does look to have emerged as the best blueliner (at least currently) out of a stocked defensive draft class.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was not big on Reinhart at all. Watching him with the Oil Kings I felt he relied on his size too much and couldn't skate well, he also seemed soft. Then again I was big on Murray and he didn't turn out great
Oh, c'mon; you can give yourself a little more credit than that. When he's on the ice, Murray is everything folks thought he would be and then some - a smooth-skating top-pairing guy who quietly makes everyone around him better. The only problem - one that wouldn't have been picked up from scouting - is that he's injured so often that it's challenging at best to rely on him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I felt like the only one around here who didn't see anything special about Reinhart. I think his physical tools around age 17-18 fooled a lot of people into thinking he'd become good but to me I saw a guy with a passive approach to everything, offense and defense. I just couldn't imagine he'd be as bad as he was. I felt like he was a very risky pick at 4 but I thought he'd at least cut it as a bottom pairing defenseman.

Then I watched him with Vegas and learned that even bottom pairs need some degree of talent. Griffin has none. At least none that works in the NHL.

I wasn't high on him. At absolute best, I believe I thought maybe a Marc Staal-type blueliner.

Reinhart's skating was always an issue. Add to that, despite is size, he was kind of a gentle puppy dog out there, and that didn't help any. His offensive game was never going to be anything special, so he basically needed to turn into a Slavin-like defenseman to justify his high selection.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Lest we forget Chia thought he was worth a 1st + 2nd even as he was on the verge of bust territory. :laugh: :facepalm:

Don’t remind me bud. Thank god Kenny Holland came in and righted the ship. There was a risk of the league starting to think we were a joke for a few years there which would have been sad for such a storied dynasty team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Don’t remind me bud. Thank god Kenny Holland came in and righted the ship. There was a risk of the league starting to think we were a joke for a few years there which would have been sad for such a storied dynasty team.

No offence.... but the league already considers the Oilers a joke... and have for a while now :popcorn:

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
it's definitely perceived as weaker because
a) a lot of the top picks either were busts or didn't reach their expected ceilings
b) a lot of defensemen went in the first round who take longer to develop
c) the top guy busted out of the league

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You find gems later on in every draft. People remember it as bad because the top-4 picks, players who should have provided the most value, flopped

Yakupov - somehow stuck around for 350 games, total dud. One of the biggest flops in recent history

R.Murray - a solid but not spectacular D who can't stay on the rink, usurped by players like Werenski and Jones and possibly others in the 'Bus

Galchenyuk - 1 noteworthy season, very disappointing player otherwise, a meh complimentary scoring winger

G.Reinhart - don't need to say much.

Galchenyuk is a bi-perennial 50 point player, that's not disappointing...he's a legitimate top 6 player with those stats.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I meant last season, sorry. Defenseman A had 50 games less played than Defenseman B in the season and had only 8 goals less. And yes, it was Dumba s Reilly and Reilly only hit double digits in goals just last season. Dumba has been hitting double digits for a while now.

The PHWA don't consider Dumba
All those top 20 lists, by hockey guys don't list him in them

Why?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
People called Brian Burke crazy for saying Rielly was #1 on his draft list and he would have picked him first overall.

Pretty legitimate argument now that he's the best player from that draft class.

Not better than Parayko though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Historically weak = 1995 and 1999

2012 is alright-meh. Like 2014. 2013 depth sucks too.
At least 2013 and 14 had some top end talent at the top end of the draft. Best player taken in the top 10 in 2012 was Morgan Reilly. Good player but not at the level of say Draisatl from 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad