OT: Redsox World Series Champions thread/MLB 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

KCBRUIN

Tuukka Time
Nov 11, 2010
Kansas City Mo.
No surprise on the qualifying offers made today; but a little curious why they didn't at least make one to Salty. They must be planning to go a different route and didn't want to take a chance he'd take the one year deal?? Or are they working on a long term deal instead.

Still have high hopes they work out something with Ellsbury. And Napoli I think is coming back for sure. I wouldn't be completely against bringing Drew back under the right circumstances (which to me are moving Middlebrooks for an outfield bat (Stanton?) and switching Bogaerts over to third permanently).

Happy that most of the guys will be back next year either way. Love this group!!

They wouldn't offer Salty one because he isn't worth anywhere near $14.1 million. They might offer him 3 for 15 but 14.1 for one year of Salty is crazy.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the QO are there, partly for the right to talk another contract, w/ your own FA, there's no guarantee that those tendered a QO will take it, ie Ellsbury, it's just identical to how Chiarelli does it w/ the B's, we all know who's likely gone, albeit all should stay but can you really duplicate what this just completed season again?

btw, we might lose Lovullo to Theo.....

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
Decided to switch the Victorino jersey to a Big Papi one. Home jersey with World Series patch. Should expect to place the order to actually buy it within the next few weeks or right before Christmas.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Maybe it's a slight overreaction but we can all agree the Florida Marlins are the worst team in baseball.

Off year. Marlins have been terrible for a lot longer.

I'm most interested on what's going to happen in our bullpen once Bailey and Miller show up to spring training healthy. Who do they bump off the roster? Morales?

1) The Florida Marlins no longer exist :)p:)

2) The Miami Marlins have been in existence since 1993, have a career winning percentage of .471. They have 203 wins in the last 3 seasons.

3) The Houston Astros (originally the Colt .45s) have been in existence since 1962, have a career win % of .488. They have 162 wins in the last 3 seasons.

However, in 40+ years HOU went to one WS and got swept. In 20+ years MIA went to two WS and won them both.

So, HOU has been much worse in the recent past and over the long haul have almost the same winning % as MIA, but the Marlins have two championships in the last 17 years. I would say (objectively) based on the numbers, that HOU is worse than MIA, however you define it (short or long term).

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
The Astros wore these
astros.jpg

Nuff said

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
Decided to switch the Victorino jersey to a Big Papi one. Home jersey with World Series patch. Should expect to place the order to actually buy it within the next few weeks or right before Christmas.

I impulse (read: drunkenly) bought a road Ortiz jersey and Pedroia home jersey Wednesday night after the game with the world series patch.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
How dare you disrespect the home jersey by putting a name on the back. Tacky as hell too, doesn't belong.

At least he didnt put his own name on it? My wife wanted to get me a Bruins jersey with my name on it and I put a stop to that quickly.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Did anyone read about how Jacoby inspired Pedey to play through his injury? Dustin was very touched by it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
i think the team that empties their farm system for a guy with pretty well documented leg problems is doing a foolish thing.

For me it depends on which prospects you're giving up. I would be fine with a package like the one Finn suggests but I doubt the Marlins would go for that. Even though I think the Red Sox have the assets to get it done, Stanton is still a pipe dream.

I wouldn't mind Beltran on another one of those short-term and high salary deals but would Cherington give up a pick to sign a 37 year old Beltran?

I think JBJ being the starting center fielder on opening day is probably the likely scenario. Nava/Gomes-JBJ-Victorino.

Also, please just say no to McCann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad