NFL: Redskins Fire Jay Gruden

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I don't see Skins job as an appealing one for any coaching prospect and there will be questions if Haskins is guy or if the new regime will push to pull a Cards and select another QB this draft instead

What a mess in DC

member 157595

I wonder if Dan Quinn joins him on the unemployment line.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He should get another chance eventually to work for an ownership that isn’t insane. Maybe the Vikings when Zimmer is fires and he can work with Cousins again

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
This feels like its heading right to the Redskins picking another QB top 5 this spring. Too bad skins fans are still stuck with that wretched owner and GM.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Was Gruden pro keeping Cousins or did he approve of moving on?

To me as flawed as Cousins is he was stability at position for them and it would have probably been better off for them extending him and trying to build defense up

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was Gruden pro keeping Cousins or did he approve of moving on?

To me as flawed as Cousins is he was stability at position for them and it would have probably been better off for them extending him and trying to build defense up

Not sure about that, I mean he has Diggs/Thelien/Cook and hasn't exactly looked great in Minny.

Sure he's a guy who you'll have for 16 games every year but is he THE guy? Doesn't look like it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Dick move IMO

Should have fired him last night not done it this way

Not sure about that, I mean he has Diggs/Thelien/Cook and hasn't exactly looked great in Minny.

Sure he's a guy who you'll have for 16 games every year but is he THE guy? Doesn't look like it.

He was best QB DC has had in the Snyder era and provided them stability at position + Fit well with Gruden offense

Reactions: Babe Ruth

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This situation is going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately... But here we are still a Skins fan...

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Cousins was best QB DC has had in the Snyder era and provided them stability at position + Fit well with Gruden offense

Agreed.. and obviously water under the bridge now.. but I appreciate your context.
Cousins isn't Brady, but he was better than the recent Redskin QB lineage. Jason Campbell, Josh Johnson, Patrick Ramsey, McCoy, RG Knee, Grossman & Sanchez @ the end of their careers, etc.

And Cousins wasn't the problem thru Gruden's tenure.. they've had a terrible secondary, chronic injuries etc., at one point they had one of the league's most anemic run games. At times, Cousins was basically their sole offensive threat.
It's presently a franchise w/bad ownership & front office, empty stadium, no personality.. Personally, I think their best position player of the last couple seasons has been Tress Way. Not good, when a punter is all u can brag about..

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They have a defense that has some decent pieces on it, it just seems that they all suck playing together outside of the two DT’s from Bama and Kerrigan. The Pats O-line isn’t great but the redskins made it look the worst it’s looked this year when it comes to protecting Brady, and the pats just played an elite D the week prior

They didn’t have a chance yesterday, I find it hard to fault Gruden for what’s going on

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the old raiders coach? lol

what a mess of an organization
Teams always promote someone currently on the staff to the interim HC position. Outside guys don’t come in during the season.

Washington just needs to decide what their goal is this season. To develop Haskins? If so, begin that process now. Kid is going to have a new OC next season.

QBs with 1 year as a college starter, sigh how well do they end up doing in the nfl? Trubisky and Sanchez are 2 of the more recent 1 year college starters who were also first round picks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gruden's rapsheet in Washington wasn't bad considering how poorly that team is ran not to mention the hilarious amount of guys ending up on IR;

2014: 4-12
2015: 9-7 (division title)
2016: 8-7-1
2017: 7-9
2018: 7-9
2019: 0-5

Put me in the camp of guys who need to see him given a shot with a real team to judge how good or bad of a coach he is. To Minny in the offseason to un**** Kirk Cousins' game? Or perhaps to Atlanta to jump start what should be a way better offense after Dan Quinn is kicked to the curb?

Or maybe nepotism rules and he goes and buddies up with his brother in Oakland. lol.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Firing Schottenheimer was so dumb

The fact he got 8 wins out of that team was an accomplishment worthy of coach of the year praise

Awful Tony Banks , Fading Jeff George and forgettable Kent Graham were QB's of that team

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It gets thrown around a lot as a cliche, but if i was an aspiring head coach i stay far, far away from DC.

Set up for failure from the word go. Your owner overrules you constantly, the GM of the team is a buffoon (and a crony of the owner) and everyone who seems to put on a jersey ends up on IR within 3 weeks.

Especially when you consider much better jobs might be open in the offseason

Reactions: Avs_19

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Firing Schottenheimer was so dumb

The fact he got 8 wins out of that team was an accomplishment worthy of coach of the year praise

Awful Tony Banks , Fading Jeff George and forgettable Kent Graham were QB's of that team

Agreed, Schottenheimer should’ve stayed longer. But also I think Marty wanted control and say of his players and coaching staff to which Dan Snyder said no thanks...

Just stupidity on Dan Snyder.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Can the NFL and step in and remove control of Daniel Snyder? Seriously, this man has done nothing since he’s bought the team in 1999...we are on 20 years of ineptitude.

They have won 2 playoff games in the Snyder era, they have won a total of THREE playoff games since winning Super Bowl 26...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Fun fact, Jay Gruden's 35-50-1 record is the best record for a Redskins coach since Snyder bought the team

Joe Gibbs has the highest win% at 47, but Gruden has the most wins overall.

That's pitiful.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Joe Gibbs left because he realized that organization was a mess.

When Jack Kent Cooke was the owner, he let Gibbs and his people do the football stuff. Snyder wants to be a part of everything...his sorry ass writes the checks and people will not say no to him.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad