Post-Game Talk: Reds vs. Whites Scrimmage (Reds Take It 5-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Let’s just agree that Hudon has lots of issues.

Everyone finds something « bad » different in him.

I don't think he's bad at anything….but he's not good at anything either and there lies the Hudon's problem.
Lehkonen got his defensive game saving him
Armia, his size, one-on-one and puck possession skills
Byron, his speed and PK skills.

When you're a tweener, you need to have that special ability that keeps you in the line-up.
That's what Hudon doesn't have. Not especially fast, no especially big, not especially good one-on-one, not especially good defensively. Not a good goal scorer or playmaker, not big enough on forecheck and list goes on.

He won't fight for a top 6 spot and doesn't that special skill to be on the bottom 6.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think he's bad at anything….but he's not good at anything either and there lies the Hudon's problem.
Lehkonen got his defensive game saving him
Armia, his size, one-on-one and puck possession skills
Byron, his speed and PK skills.

When you're a tweener, you need to have that special ability that keeps you in the line-up.
That's what Hudon doesn't have. Not especially fast, no especially big, not especially good one-on-one, not especially good defensively. Not a good goal scorer or playmaker, not big enough on forecheck and list goes on.

He won't fight for a top 6 spot and doesn't that special skill to be on the bottom 6.

Hudon sounds like the embodiment of where the Habs ended up at the end of last season: not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to nab a good lottery pick. No man’s land.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Hudon is a career AHL player of you ask me. An AHL all star sure but he's just not good enough to be a top 9 NHL forward and not defensive enough to play a bottom 6 role. One good scrimmage doesn't change that. Hope I'm wrong though.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I wonder how people will react if Weal gets 45-50 points this year...
:naughty:

Even if he puts up 20-25 points in our bottom six that'll be a huge help from last year. We spent half the season with Agostini/Deslauriers/Chaput as our fourth line who combined for 3 even strength goals, as bad as our PP and backup goaltending were last year our 4th line was a major weakness until after the trade deadline.

Reactions: Archijerej

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Even if he puts up 20-25 points in our bottom six that'll be a huge help from last year. We spent half the season with Agostini/Deslauriers/Chaput as our fourth line who combined for 3 even strength goals, as bad as our PP and backup goaltending were last year our 4th line was a major weakness until after the trade deadline.

Ok, so what if he puts up 50 points playing with Domi? What will people then say? Should he be moved to another line to make place for a "higher potential" kid?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Very easy to predict, it will be the usual...

''Bergevin got lucky''

:laugh:

edit....oh, i forgot, added with the the famous

''unsustainable career year''

Many players can end up putting up points in a prominent role doesn't make them a fit , the real issue is being proud of your GM for acquiring a player who has proved nothing to play on your top two lines. If he ends up being a solid member of the bottom 6 that becomes a solid acquisition , however prioritizing Weal over players like Suzuki makes no sense to me (not saying you're implying this).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My negative, boring, sad thoughts on this scrimmage that no one really wants to read.

1- Molson made a quick 250k out of this.
2- I'm sure most players didn't want to be there and do that....felt like going to the dentist
3- Now that the PR business is done....let's get to some more real business.

Sorry about that

I was thinking along those same lines. LMAO entirely reading posters having anyone making the team based on that gimmickry. It starts tonight with real checking and players on both sides keeping their heads up. Jersey with a split squad playing Boston and Montreal so expect the slags to be hunting.

Reactions: Milhouse40

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Many players can end up putting up points in a prominent role doesn't make them a fit , the real issue is being proud of your GM for acquiring a player who has proved nothing to play on your top two lines. If he ends up being a solid member of the bottom 6 that becomes a solid acquisition , however prioritizing Weal over players like Suzuki makes no sense to me (not saying you're implying this).

Good cuz i wasn't

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Oh man our 4th line was absolutely horrible at the start of the year. Happy with what we have in place now though.

Reactions: Trash Man

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Very easy to predict, it will be the usual...

''Bergevin got lucky''

:laugh:

edit....oh, i forgot, added with the the famous

''unsustainable career year''

While if he doesn't, it's also very easy to predict....Well we got him for nothing, he never was suppose to be that kinda of player anyway. Some posters here have a way to always go after the win-win for them....lol

Reactions: teamfirst

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I don't think you are right on this one. The tax break goes to the name of the donors…..in this case the donation is made from the CH....not entirely sure on this one but close.

But yeah, some publicity, some concessions revenues, merch, parking etc...

Even if that's the case, He'd have to claim it as income first, and then donate it. End of the day, Molson simply doesn't pay any tax on the 250k made at the game. Tax breaks on charitable donations aren't what people think they are.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hudon thinks the game so well and with the new NHL he is oh so close to hitting his potential. If this new playing weight results in him being able to keep up in the play, he could be a solid bottom sixer.

People forget Hudon was fairly good two years ago he not only kept up with the play he often WAS the play unfortunately he just had no finish. If he can find the durability the league demands and capitalize on the opportunities he creates he's better than three or four guys touted for spots.

Reactions: Habs Icing

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
While if he doesn't, it's also very easy to predict....Well we got him for nothing, he never was suppose to be that kinda of player anyway. Some posters here have a way to always go after the win-win for them....lol

Yup, right about that, all comes down to the ''half full-half empty'' way of thinking :laugh:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I think that people (fans) need to let go of their traditional ideas about how a team is constructed. The idea of #1,2,3 and 4 lines ordered by scoring is not something that teams actually discuss any more. If teams could spread their talent equally over 4 lines and be competitive the salary cap makes this impossible. It is more about balancing the top 9 and having an effective 4th line that they can roll out regularly without being a liability.

Moving forward I see this team with 3 natural centers in the top 9 (Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Danault) This leaves 6 winger spots in the top 9 (Gallagher, Caufield, Suzuki, Domi, and two of Tatar/Drouin /Ylonen). That has the potential to be a lethal top 9 with 3 strong two way centers and a ton of skill on the wings.

The only way that I see Domi hanging on to his role as a center is if we lose Danault in the expansion draft. Even if we lose Danault there will be a question of whether Suzuki or Domi should fill that void.

I absolutely love Domi's skill and drive but he is a liability defensively at times as he has a wingers mentality of staying high in the d-zone and leading the rush on the counter attack. If Domi is going to remain at center then he will have to receive softer/insulated minutes while Kotkaniemi and Poehling take the more difficult assignments. In a perfect world you don't want to have to protect any of your top 3 centers and as of right now we have exactly the type of centers that should be able to handle anything with Domi moving to the wing.

It is an unsupported conclusion to say that Domi's production increased because he moved to center. It may very well be completely coincidental as there are multiple reasons as to why his production increased. He was a winger as a rookie and had an outstanding season, clearly there were factors outside of his position that contributed to his reduced production.

I am not preaching to you as I know that you understand the way the NHL is changing The first paragraph was simply an axiom from which I could build a case for other readers.
Great read .I also think that the fans need to let go of their traditional ideas about how a team is constructed . A matching line getting +- same minutes or more than the best offensive line is good for me because you need to be good both sides of the rink

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes, I'm for moving Byron because, even though he's a good player, we have too many small players. That our busding top 9 is small on the wings is an issue. Although i like all the following players ( including Drouin when he's on), we're small on the wings

Domi Kk Caufield
Drouin Poehling Suzuki
Tatar Danault Gallagher

As fir this year, i like Weal, Byron, etc... i kust think it would be good if Suzuki and Poehling are ready to step in and get 45+ points. We could use the offensive depth, and each's help on the pp. Poehling in front of the net and Suzuki's play making and shot.

Yes, we are small on the wings, and KK and Danault provide enough size at center so that we can use Domi at C and Poehling on the wing. Poehling can move back to center if we do not re-sign Danault in 2 years.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Idk where the narrative of Domi being bad defensively comes from. Even if he was bad, it doesn't matter when he always has the puck.

Does need to improve on his faceoff game though
He's not Horribad but he's not tremendous in his own end. Particularly with Drouin who he has to cover for more often than not. I just happen to think he'd be more valuable and productive as a winger and it's clear to me he's not as instinctive in the role as a top center needs to be,

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Does anyone know if all the home games at night will have that 7:00 pm starting time? I thought I heard Stephane Leroux mention it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad