GDT: Reds vs White Scrimmage @ 3PM ET on RDSinfo

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Management expects big things of every prospect. They only get it from a few, or none for the habs a few years back. Norlinder looked interesting but after all the injuries he probably won’t make it. Most players won’t. Have to hope enough do.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Management expects big things of every prospect.
No. They don't. Come on now. Tons of times even the Head scout himself says how surprising that guy's development was. If you take the time to say it in an interview, it's because you REALLY think you made a steal there. And that you will be proven right.

And even if you do, it's one thing to think it. It's another to say it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No. They don't. Come on now. Tons of times even the Head scout himself says how surprising that guy's development was. If you take the time to say it in an interview, it's because you REALLY think you made a steal there. And that you will be proven right.

At the time he was implicating himself in the Allsvenskan league and had dominated the play-offs. Of course they were high on him, he was progressing really well.

It's so stupid we were are even having all these bashing posts. He had a very interrupted year last year thanks to Bergevin's unique development approach (choosing the wrong decision at every point) and some injuries.

And he's played a couple of rookie tournament games (which he dominated in just last year) and some scrimmages. Where he hasn't been that bad and had some splash plays. We should be thankful that because his peers are developing so well he isn't standing out as much because it means he will have to push and be better, internal competition is a good thing. But he's also a bit older and knows that it's about getting better.

You're not getting any value in a trade and just wetting our pants cause he didn't deke 5 guys and rip a wrister in the net during a scrimmage game is simply annoying.

Let's watch his progression throughout this year where he will be under their development plan and get extended opportunities at the NHL and AHL level. We don't need another 4th round pick, we need Norlinder to get close to the potential he had before last year's nightmare.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I feel like red was the better team...
It's not just a feeling, the Reds had a slightly more experienced line-up. The end results is that the Whites had issues following the speed at times and keeping possession of the puck, especially in the 2nd.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
At the time he was implicating himself in the Allsvenskan league and had dominated the play-offs. Of course they were high on him, he was progressing really well.

It's so stupid we were are even having all these bashing posts. He had a very interrupted year last year thanks to Bergevin's unique development approach (choosing the wrong decision at every point) and some injuries.

And he's played a couple of rookie tournament games (which he dominated in just last year) and some scrimmages. Where he hasn't been that bad and had some splash plays. We should be thankful that because his peers are developing so well he isn't standing out as much because it means he will have to push and be better, internal competition is a good thing. But he's also a bit older and knows that it's about getting better.

You're not getting any value in a trade and just wetting our pants cause he didn't deke 5 guys and rip a wrister in the net during a scrimmage game is simply annoying.

Let's watch his progression throughout this year where he will be under their development plan and get extended opportunities at the NHL and AHL level. We don't need another 4th round pick, we need Norlinder to get close to the potential he had before last year's nightmare.
I have no idea where I said that we shouldn't be high on him. I was just responding to a poster who said that the only people who put hype on the guy was us. False. From A LOT OF PEOPLE IN HERE, Timmins is the bible. Well if the bible says that we expect big things....don't blame fans for being hyped....

While there are advocated in here who keep blaming development for everything, you ALSO in the same statement, blame the GM lack of vision for making sure that our prospects had close to no value before you trade them.

I don't care if he didn't deke 5 guys. I care that even the simpler decisions seems to be hard. I care that if it continues that way, he will be overtaken by younger guys. You still can ice only 6 d-men. And at one point, you need to take the best decision between having confidence on a guy that CAN give you good hockey and knowing that he might very well have reached his ceiling and that there could be a 1 for 1 trade for a similar type of player that you can think that YOU could fix.

And CLEARLY trading him for a 4th round pick was not my point. Actually it's EXACTLY what I want to avoid. We f***ed up by trading Beaulieu for a 3rd round or Tinordi for John Scott. Trading Norlinder for a 4th is EXACTLY what I don't want us to do. You keep him 'cause you believe in him. Or you trade him 'cause you think he can't give you more though others might think the opposite. You seem to think he has in him to be great? Well other GM might think so too.....and get us a much better value than a 4th rounder....IF we decide to move on.

But sure. Give him a full year with the Rocket. He'll be 23 at the end of that year. AT one point, we might probably be too late to get anything interesting so it's possible our best bet is to go all the way with him. And if it doesn't work out, well he'll be another Nygren. You can't win them all...Hopefully our new development program will make him a player.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

They can’t expect prospects to bust or they would pick someone else. Sixth round or so they may not have much hope, but pretty much anyone they pick they see something. Most of those guys will disappoint.

Norlinder showed some flashes in men’s leagues and then had lots of injuries. They are not going to say “yeah, we’re done with this guy” now. I suppose there’s no need to talk about him considering his performance so far, but maybe they thought he needed a confidence boost.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Man Beck has some hands, definitely not a simple high floor type player. Really liking Hutson Engstrom and Beck picks. Man would it be nice to have a draft where lot of players hit. Hopefully Slafkovsky can be at least a regular ~60 point player. That's all I ask, don't even need him to be a star.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
They can’t expect prospects to bust or they would pick someone else. Sixth round or so they may not have much hope, but pretty much anyone they pick they see something. Most of those guys will disappoint.

Norlinder showed some flashes in men’s leagues and then had lots of injuries. They are not going to say “yeah, we’re done with this guy” now. I suppose there’s no need to talk about him considering his performance so far, but maybe they thought he needed a confidence boost.
You can talk about eveyr prospect strength and weakness. But going at it and expecting BIG things from a guy, is not a way to reduce the hype. My sole and only point.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You can talk about eveyr prospect strength and weakness. But going at it and expecting BIG things from a guy, is not a way to reduce the hype. My sole and only point.
Bergevin just messed up again by hyping him up and rushing him over without a real plan. He basically needed to sell hope and he kept bringing him name up since there was little else in organization. Feel like he would have developed much better had he remained in the SHL last season and focused on being one of the best D in the league.

Hopefully Engstrom will be given that stability in the SHL instead of the Bergevin special of saying he might start the year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bergevin just messed up again by hyping him up and rushing him over without a real plan. He basically needed to sell hope and he kept bringing him name up since there was little else in organization. Feel like he would have developed much better had he remained in the SHL last season and focused on being one of the best D in the league.

Hopefully Engstrom will be given that stability in the SHL instead of the Bergevin special of saying he might start the year.

Bergevin did the Mete playbook with Norlinder but even worse, didn't even play him when he had him.. just held him until he could exploit a loophole.

The whole reason why was because Norlinder was the only potential option for moving pucks on the blueline.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Oh, for sure. I’d guess they are trying to push him and boost his confidence, not reduce the hype. There’s not much hope, snd none if Norlinder doesn’t start giving a massive effort.

I way prefer it to the various habs employees who bashed players in the media and made it clear they were done here, and then complained they were short on talent after forcing the tesm to dump guys. Whole series of coaches destroying player value.

Pump everybody at least while they are here.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Sometimes (rarely) the comms people need to be involved on hockey ops. This is one of them. The red vs white game is there to allow low income / families to see the players in a pro setting without the cut throat prices. There will be a backlash, I'll guarantee it.
Lol, nobody cares about scrimmage. Relax you will live longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad