2. phil kessel
3. derick brassard
4. jonathan toews
5. erik johnson
6. claude giroux

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Kessel is boom or bust. He has just as good a chance at being an average 2nd liner as he does an elite NHL scorer. His potential may be the highest in the top 5 but his "bust factor" is also highest of the top 5.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
I was one of the biggest proponents of taking Kessel second on the boards. He seemed the most natural fit as a wing to me among the top five. That said, it is awfully early to make calls like this thread. Let them get a year, half a year, even a game in the minors/college under their belts before we declare winners and losers. Rememeber that a number of teams were reputed to be offering some big packages to move up and it is notable that every single one was for Staal. Jack Johnson was more than just a rumor as a Pen and only fell through when the price plus was too high, another very highly thought of prospect. Staal is the youngest prospect in the draft by far, just missing the cutoff date for the next draft. He is projected by many as potentially the most talented of the Staal brothers by a number of scouts based on his raw physical attributes and what he does now at this age. Many said if he had been in next years draft he would have been hands down the favorite going in as the number one pick. What I am saying is that although I thought Kessel was the best fit for the Pens, there was a reason that every one wanted Staal at number two. No one was trying to move to two for Kessel or Backstrom.

Some video analysis of Staal is on the Pens' site, fifth down:

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/m...ype=video&cat_id=27&cat_name=Off-Ice Features
I agree and there is another huge factor to consider

Jordan Staal in 5 years
Height: 6'4" - 6'5"
Weight: 235 - 245 lbs

Size Does Matter

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
1. niklas backstrom
2. phil kessel
3. derick brassard
4. jonathan toews
5. erik johnson
6. claude giroux
Wow great call on this one! You might have been the only one around to put Giroux that high just a few months after the 06 draft.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Just when you think you've seen it all the 9 year bump comes out of the woodwork.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Wow great call on this one! You might have been the only one around to put Giroux that high just a few months after the 06 draft.

You win some, you lose some, I guess :laugh:

That list actually isn't all that bad. Was a little too high on Brassard though.

Giroux is a perfect example of why I dont speak with any kind of certainty when it comes to prospects anymore. You just never know. If the 06 draft had just happened and someone ranked Giroux 6th today, they likely would have been ripped to shreds for it..

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just when you think you've seen it all the 9 year bump comes out of the woodwork.

An appropriate time for the redraft discussion. Not like these ridiculous ones people want to do after 1 year or 2 years then argue until they lose there minds.

This thread just proves how ridiculous those arguments are. Not one person picked Toews and only one person had Giroux in it (nice job by the way).

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
1. Toews
2. Giroux
3. Backtrom
4. Kessel
5. Lucic
6. E.Johnson
7. Marchand
8. Varlamov
9. Little