Redo of 2004 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think either Radulov or Schremp improved their stock nearly as much as most people here would like to think.

The three biggest movers would be Meszaros, Zajac, and Nokelainen, all of whom would move into top-10 range IMO.

Mark Fistric really showed improved first-step quickness and lateral mobility ... I was very impressed with how he played after coming back from his injury. I think he'd move up a fair bit as well.

Marek Schwarz would take a huge dump. Was a big disappointment on the ice for the Giants, then bolted home after the season. I don't know if he'd still go in the first round.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Kryoptix said:
ok I'll be the 1st to post my 2004 ranking as of right now ! ;)

1 Washington Alexander Ovechkin
2 Pittsburgh Evgeny Malkin
3 Chicago Rostislav Olesz
4 Carolina Cam Barker
5 Phoenix Drew Stafford
6 NY Rangers Lauri Tukonen
7 Florida Andrew Ladd
8 Columbus Andrej Meszaros
9 Anaheim Ladislav Smid
10 Atlanta Robbie Schremp
11 Los Angeles Alexander Radulov
12 Minnesota Petteri Nokelainen
13 Buffalo Travis Zajac
14 Edmonton Devan Dubnyk
15 Nashville Alexandre Picard
16 NY Islanders Kyle Chipchura
17 St. Louis Mike Green
18 Mtl. Canadiens Kris Chucko
19 NY Rangers Al Montoya
20 New Jersey Wojtek Wolski
21 Colorado Lukas Kaspar
22 San Jose Blake Wheeler
23 Ottawa Marek Schwarz
24 Calgary David Bolland
25 Edmonton Enver Lisin
26 Vancouver Lauri Korpikoski
27 Washington Adam Pineault
28 Dallas Johan Fransson
29 Washington Boris Valabik
30 Tampa Bay Evan McGrath

If Barker had fallen to 4, Columbus would've taken him and not traded that pick...that messes up most of that list.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Wow, how shocking that you (as an Oilers fan) would think Dubnyk, Schremp and Paukovich are being underrated. Could it get any more predictable? You must have thought not mentioning Tesliuk and mentioning Graham instead might make it seem a little less homerish.

I take Stafford over Schremp any day. And that has nothing to do with Schremp being an Oilers pick.

To be fair, Schremp, Dubnyk, Tesliuk and Paukovich all did have good seasons. I don't think Paukovich and Tesliuk are 1st rounders but I would expect them to still be 2nd/3rd rounders.

Schremp and Dubnyk I would likely put top 15 each as they both had great seasons.

As for Stafford vs Schremp, tough call, I think highly of both. I think Schremp has a much higher upside, but if he can't make top 6 he won't be a factor, whereas Stafford could play any line. Stafford is a safer pick for sure, but for the Oilers, I am glad they got Schremp, they need his offense.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
X-SHARKIE said:
Not a bit bias with Smid at five eh? ;)

Yeah, but there is a clear top 4 and once you get past there you can put the next 5 or 6 in any order.

Smid could go anywhere from 5-9 depending on preference.

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm a homer, but I love (sarcasm) how Schneider gets no love. He'll be BC's number 1 next season and compete strongly for the WJC starter spot on team USA. Oh, and he had a fantastic rookie year at BC pretty much stealing the starting spot from a not too shabby Bruins prospect, a senior at BC. Having said that, BC was a pretty stacked team though. See, I'm a homer, but reasonable!

I think Schneider would be a late teen's pick if the draft was re-done. Remember, he was drafted out of high school, so alot of teams were probably worried how he would do at the next level.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
jeffbrown said:
I'm a homer, but I love (sarcasm) how Schneider gets no love. He'll be BC's number 1 next season and compete strongly for the WJC starter spot on team USA. Oh, and he had a fantastic rookie year at BC pretty much stealing the starting spot from a not too shabby Bruins prospect, a senior at BC. Having said that, BC was a pretty stacked team though. See, I'm a homer, but reasonable!

I think Schneider would be a late teen's pick if the draft was re-done. Remember, he was drafted out of high school, so alot of teams were probably worried how he would do at the next level.

He certainly performed as well or better than expected, while a few of the higher ranked goalies performed worse than expected. Enough to move him up in a HF draft, probably not, he's just not high profile enough.
Not that I'd rank him much higher 24-30 range.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
jeffbrown said:

I still feel he'll be the best goalie to come out of that draft. Not even the tip of the iceberg from him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Patty Ice XXX said:
I still feel he'll be the best goalie to come out of that draft. Not even the tip of the iceberg from him.
The thing that scared me is when the spotlight was on him at the WJC he cracked, when the spotlight was on him vs North Dakota in NCAA playoffs, he cracked.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wow, how shocking that you (as an Oilers fan) would think Dubnyk, Schremp and Paukovich are being underrated. Could it get any more predictable? You must have thought not mentioning Tesliuk and mentioning Graham instead might make it seem a little less homerish.

I take Stafford over Schremp any day. And that has nothing to do with Schremp being an Oilers pick.

I did think of Tesliuk, but IMO he hasn't shown enough to be a 1st rounder. You could have Stafford, I cheared when Buffalo took him off of the table. Of course the fact that you're a homeristic Flames fan, if the Oilers drafted Stafford you would've called him a plumber and youd've called Schremp a top 2 line offensive dynamo. Paukovich IMO may have been a stretch, but 6'4" tall, roughly 210lbs. of muscle,skill, and a mean streak??? What team wouldn't want a player like that??? BTW I guess I should've thrown in Reddox,Goulet,and Spurgeon just to make you whine and get a migraine from 110% homerism.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Everyone has AO number 1 and Malkin number 2. Perhaps still rightly so (I actually have them about the same in my book) but I had seen threads during the world championships where quite a few reversed that so thought that I might have seen someone jump out on a limb and reveresed that order in the redo if for no other reason but to be perverse. I am not arguing for that just throwing that out there for the hell of it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
McDonald19 said:
Smid's stock has not dropped.

Check out his poise on D in the WJC's. It's not all about putting up points.

Anaheim liked him more than the other D-men after Barker in the draft and would still take him over Meszaros and Thelen.

Olesz's stock has not dropped.

He should be in the top 5. Again check out some WJC video.
I think most are going by their numbers/reports out of th Czech leagues when they say those two would drop.

Smid could go anywhere from 5-9 depending on preference.
Or my preference, below 16.

Smid is far too ordinary to be a top 15 pick.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Kvashinator12 said:
I think Nokelainen moves up in this draft. SOlid year in the finland, good WJC again, had a great four nations tourney in the states i believe it was. I say he would move up to the top 12

I agree! Top 10-15 for sure.

Meszaros has to go higher (I was suprised he fell so far)...

Schremp is in the same boat as Meszaros (I STILL can't believe he dropped as low as he did).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
O.T. said:
There's still alot of development for these players before we can actually guage where they would have been drafted. Here's my take on it though.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeny Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Cam Barker
5. Andrew Ladd
6. Drew Stafford
7. Andrej Meszaros
8. Alexander Radulov
9. Ladislav Smid
10. Rob Schremp
11. Travis Zajac
12. Devan Dubnyk
13. Lauri Tukonen
14. Al Montoya
15. Blake Wheeler
16. A.J. Thelen
17. Kyle Chipchura
18. Marek Schwarz
19. Petteri Nokelainen
20. Kyle Chipchura
21. Wojtek Wolski
22. David Bolland
23. Lauri Korpikoski
24. Mike Green
25. Lukas Kaspar
26. Kris Chucko
27. Boris Valabik
28. Mark Fistric
29. Cory Schneider
30. Jeff Schultz

No way does Nokelainen drop. He had a great season. He'd go around 10th this time.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site

And I'm sure your opinion of Oiler's prospects has great credibility because you are a flames fan? :biglaugh:

What a joke, to think I'd see the day when YOU accuse someone else of being homerish.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Barnaby said:
Yea, but i'd still rather have Olesz. He's the guy I wanted him to take, and nothing last season changed that.
FINALLY THE PANTHERS DID SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!!!! :handclap: .......and with Keenan at the helm no less! SCORE.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Fists of Fuhry said:
And I'm sure your opinion of Oiler's prospects has great credibility because you are a flames fan? :biglaugh:
FDW might be a Flames fan, but he has always been totally honest when it comes to prospect. He calls it as he sees it, and won't waiver on that because of who that prospect belongs to.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Jason MacIsaac said:
The thing that scared me is when the spotlight was on him at the WJC he cracked, when the spotlight was on him vs North Dakota in NCAA playoffs, he cracked.

He didn't crack in either situation. His entire defense did in both cases. BC played horribly, and lets not forget some of the iffy selections that were made for Team USA's d-corp.

turnbuckle*

O.T. said:
There's still alot of development for these players before we can actually guage where they would have been drafted. Here's my take on it though.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeny Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Cam Barker
5. Andrew Ladd
6. Drew Stafford
7. Alexandre Picard
8. Andrej Meszaros
9. Alexander Radulov
10. Ladislav Smid
11. Rob Schremp
12. Travis Zajac
13. Devan Dubnyk
14. Lauri Tukonen
15. Al Montoya
16. Blake Wheeler
17. A.J. Thelen
18. Kyle Chipchura
19. Marek Schwarz
20. Petteri Nokelainen
21. Kyle Chipchura
22. Wojtek Wolski
23. David Bolland
24. Lauri Korpikoski
25. Mike Green
26. Lukas Kaspar
27. Kris Chucko
28. Boris Valabik
29. Mark Fistric
30. Cory Schneider

I notice that you edited your list a day later, but still include two Kyle Chipchura's. He's a big guy, but.......

To be honest, I see no reason why Thelen, Montoya, Tukonen, and Zajac are rated above Chipchura after last season - in fact, if Chipchura hadn't suffered that injury I'd be tempted to list him at or near the top ten. He's about as well-rounded a prospect as you'll find, with the only question being his top-end speed. If he can find another step in his stride I daresay he could wind up being one of the top 7 or 8 NHLers from that draft.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
FDW might be a Flames fan, but he has always been totally honest when it comes to prospect. He calls it as he sees it, and won't waiver on that because of who that prospect belongs to.

Hey, I'm sure he's not the only one who'd prefer to have a solid 2nd liner as opposed to a potential 1st line scorer. But for FDW calling out another poster as a homer for suggesting that Schremp might be more valuable than Stafford is a bit rich. As for the "calling it as he sees it" part, I'll leave it to the curious posters out there to find for themselves a FDW post where he wasn't touting Flame's prospect or bashing an Oilers' prospect - A quick search of posting history will reveal his flame bias.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeny Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Andrej Meszaros
5. Cam Barker
6. Andrew Ladd
7. Schremp
8. Ladislav Smid