Redo of 2004 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was just wondering how people would do the 1st round of the 2004 draft if they could do it over again. I know it's near impossible to judge picks after only a season, but I'm just curious. Any big movers or droppers? Any wildcard picks?

stugotz

Mar 17, 2004
It is very difficult to re evaluate prospects after only 1 season. but i could see the following players dropping in the draft:

Ladd (4th), Wheeler (5th), Montoya (6th), Olesz (7th), Smid (9th), Valabik (10th).

The following players i feel would move up in the rankings, simply because of good internation tournaments or since being drafted moved into the North American system to play.

Radulov (15th),Schwarz (17th), Kaspar (22nd), Meszaros (23rd), Schremp (25th),

as for players picked in the 2nd round and beyond that i see as 'wildcards' or good players would would move up in the draft they are:

Bolland (32nd)
Bourque (33rd)
Bickell (41st)
Sindel (54th)
Krejci (63rd)
Lepisto (66th)
Alexandrov (83rd)
Glass (89th)
Reddox (112th)
O'Neill (115th)
McGrath (128th)
Vorobiev (157th)
Earl (187th)
Ellis (189th)
Vienneau (198th)
Mancari (207th)
Campoli (227th)
Card (241st)

Thats just what i think :teach:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Olesz doesn't drop at all. Ladd I'm not sure about but probably not. His potential isn't on par with the top 3, but he's a safe bet to make the NHL in a 3rd round checker roll. I could possibly see Montoya and Dubnyk swaping spots. Meszaros and Valabik as well.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Robbie Schremp would probably go higher then 25th overall. Valabik would go alot lower same thing with Montoya. Even McGrath would go alot higher also and the same can be said for David Bolland.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Ladd drops out of the top 10, Olesz shoots up to 4, Valabik falls off the top 30, Schremp enters the top 20 and... Malkin swaps spots with Ovechkin? :sarcasm:

Kavliary2000

Nov 22, 2004
Wheeler---Down to late 1st round
Smid----up to 4th or 5th pick
Valabik-----down Early 2nd round
Korpikoski----down
Green-----up
Rodgers----down
Bolland---up late 1st round
Pineault---up early 2nd
Soderberg-----up early 2nd
Lisin--------up early 2nd
Grahame----up early 2nd

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Wheeler moves into 16-25 area.
Montoya drops below Dubnyk.
Ladd drops to mid first round.
Schremp moves up from 25.
Valabik drops out of first.
Meszaros goes in the top 15.
Bolland moves up to late 1st.
Kaspar goes 25-30.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
stugotz said:
It is very difficult to re evaluate prospects after only 1 season. but i could see the following players dropping in the draft:

Ladd (4th), Wheeler (5th), Montoya (6th), Olesz (7th), Smid (9th), Valabik (10th).

Smid's stock has not dropped.

Check out his poise on D in the WJC's. It's not all about putting up points.

Anaheim liked him more than the other D-men after Barker in the draft and would still take him over Meszaros and Thelen.

Olesz's stock has not dropped.

He should be in the top 5. Again check out some WJC video.

Ladd's stock has dropped where he maybe is out of the top 10 but he is more of a sure thing to make it in at least a 2nd-3rd line role than a lot of other players in this draft...because he can hit and skate and do the little things it takes to win. I don't see him as being a big scorer in the NHL though.

Wheeler was picked too high but he is who Phoenix wanted and we'll know more next year once he plays in the NCAA.

Valabik from what I've seen shouldn't be a first round pick at all. A very long term project for Atlanta. I'm sure they'd love to have Meszaros right now.

Montoya's stock has dropped, looked like his game needs a lot of work from what we saw at the WJC's. Long term goalie option for NYR, but I think they'd like to have Olesz in their system right now.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ok I'll be the 1st to post my 2004 ranking as of right now ! ;)

1 Washington Alexander Ovechkin
2 Pittsburgh Evgeny Malkin
3 Chicago Rostislav Olesz
4 Carolina Cam Barker
5 Phoenix Drew Stafford
6 NY Rangers Lauri Tukonen
7 Florida Andrew Ladd
8 Columbus Andrej Meszaros
9 Anaheim Ladislav Smid
10 Atlanta Robbie Schremp
11 Los Angeles Alexander Radulov
12 Minnesota Petteri Nokelainen
13 Buffalo Travis Zajac
14 Edmonton Devan Dubnyk
15 Nashville Alexandre Picard
16 NY Islanders Kyle Chipchura
17 St. Louis Mike Green
18 Mtl. Canadiens Kris Chucko
19 NY Rangers Al Montoya
20 New Jersey Wojtek Wolski
21 Colorado Lukas Kaspar
22 San Jose Blake Wheeler
23 Ottawa Marek Schwarz
24 Calgary David Bolland
25 Edmonton Enver Lisin
26 Vancouver Lauri Korpikoski
27 Washington Adam Pineault
28 Dallas Johan Fransson
29 Washington Boris Valabik
30 Tampa Bay Evan McGrath

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Montoya's stock has dropped, looked like his game needs a lot of work from what we saw at the WJC's. Long term goalie option for NYR, but I think they'd like to have Olesz in their system right now.

maybe, maybe not, they specifically took montoya over olesz becaues they liked his potential more. 1 rough year isn't quite enough to turn him into a crap prospect like people think. montoya has a ton of skill, he just needs to make sure he keeps his head in the game, i think he got caught up in the whole being drafted thing and it affected his game last year, but the rangers aren't exactly in a hurry for him to make the NHL right now or something.

maybe i'd rather have taken a shot on olesz instead but regardless, it is a good idea to not bank on only one good goalie prospect in your system, and the rangers have 2 potential #1's, so we just hope at least one of them pans out

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Levitate said:
maybe, maybe not, they specifically took montoya over olesz becaues they liked his potential more. 1 rough year isn't quite enough to turn him into a crap prospect like people think. montoya has a ton of skill, he just needs to make sure he keeps his head in the game, i think he got caught up in the whole being drafted thing and it affected his game last year, but the rangers aren't exactly in a hurry for him to make the NHL right now or something.

maybe i'd rather have taken a shot on olesz instead but regardless, it is a good idea to not bank on only one good goalie prospect in your system, and the rangers have 2 potential #1's, so we just hope at least one of them pans out

Good thoughts. Personally, I'm glad the Rangers' brass isn't as fickle as manmy of the posters here at Hockey's Future. Montoya will be fine.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think Thelen would drop that far. He has a tremendous upside still, just his career got off track...

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Olesz/Barker

Olesz definitely rose. He had a good season playing behind several NHL players in SParta Praha playing 3rd line still and having to play a fairly defensive role, albeit not as exclusively defensive as the season before. I wonder where he'll play this fall? Whether he could play in the NHL or whether he goes to the AHL, idk. Its pretty early still to adjust who was picked where so far. Only those who had big question marks such as Olesz on how they would respond comping back from injury can really be evaluated or those who had very good or poor seasons as well, such as McGrath having a great year.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
There's still alot of development for these players before we can actually guage where they would have been drafted. Here's my take on it though.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeny Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Cam Barker
5. Andrew Ladd
6. Drew Stafford
7. Alexandre Picard
8. Andrej Meszaros
9. Alexander Radulov
10. Ladislav Smid
11. Rob Schremp
12. Travis Zajac
13. Devan Dubnyk
14. Lauri Tukonen
15. Al Montoya
16. Blake Wheeler
17. Kyle Chipchura
18. A.J. Thelen
19. Marek Schwarz
20. Petteri Nokelainen
21. Wojtek Wolski
22. David Bolland
23. Lauri Korpikoski
24. Mike Green
25. Lukas Kaspar
26. Kris Chucko
27. Boris Valabik
28. Mark Fistric
29. Cory Schneider
30. Jeff Schultz

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interesting that no one has stated that Dubnyk should go higher??? He had a very solid season on a very poor team, and he out-played Montoya and Schwarz this past season. And Stafford over Schremp??? Stafford's got 3rd liner written all over him. Just my 2 cents. How about Paukovich for a late 1st rounder/earlier 2nd rounder??? I know that I liked Graham to move into the 1st as well. He was having a great season before he got hurt.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
Interesting that no one has stated that Dubnyk should go higher??? He had a very solid season on a very poor team, and he out-played Montoya and Schwarz this past season. And Stafford over Schremp??? Stafford's got 3rd liner written all over him. Just my 2 cents. How about Paukovich for a late 1st rounder/earlier 2nd rounder??? I know that I liked Graham to move into the 1st as well. He was having a great season before he got hurt.

Wow, how shocking that you (as an Oilers fan) would think Dubnyk, Schremp and Paukovich are being underrated. Could it get any more predictable? You must have thought not mentioning Tesliuk and mentioning Graham instead might make it seem a little less homerish.

I take Stafford over Schremp any day. And that has nothing to do with Schremp being an Oilers pick.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
I think Nokelainen moves up in this draft. SOlid year in the finland, good WJC again, had a great four nations tourney in the states i believe it was. I say he would move up to the top 12

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
O.T. said:
There's still alot of development for these players before we can actually guage where they would have been drafted. Here's my take on it though.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeny Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Cam Barker
5. Andrew Ladd
6. Drew Stafford
7. Andrej Meszaros
8. Alexander Radulov
9. Ladislav Smid
10. Rob Schremp
11. Travis Zajac
12. Devan Dubnyk
13. Lauri Tukonen
14. Al Montoya
15. Blake Wheeler
16. A.J. Thelen
17. Kyle Chipchura
18. Marek Schwarz
19. Petteri Nokelainen
20. Kyle Chipchura
21. Wojtek Wolski
22. David Bolland
23. Lauri Korpikoski
24. Mike Green
25. Lukas Kaspar
26. Kris Chucko
27. Boris Valabik
28. Mark Fistric
29. Cory Schneider
30. Jeff Schultz

And Picard would be.... :dunno: ?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Salmonsson would move up big time. Now that he has shown to be healthy, he'd definitely go top-20 if the draft was redone.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Rabid Ranger said:
Good thoughts. Personally, I'm glad the Rangers' brass isn't as fickle as manmy of the posters here at Hockey's Future. Montoya will be fine.

Yea, but i'd still rather have Olesz. He's the guy I wanted him to take, and nothing last season changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->