Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
1. Erik Johnson D 6-4/218 R 3/21/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
2. Phil Kessel C 5-11/180 R 10/02/87 Univ. of Minnesota
3. Jonathan Toews C 6-1/185 L 4/29/88 North Dakota Univ.
4. Jordan Staal C 6-4/208 L 9/10/88 Peterborough
5. Peter Mueller C 6-2/203 R 4/14/88 Everett
6. Nicklas Backstrom RW 5-11/183 L 11/23/87 Brynas
7. Nigel Williams D 6-5/220 L 4/18/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
8. Michael Frolik LW 6-0/187 L 2/17/88 Kladno Sr.
9. Derrick Brassard C 6-0/174 L 9/22/87 Drummondville
10. Bryan Little C 5-11/188 R 11/12/87 Barrie

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-02-23-red-line_x.htm#topten

Not a big change from January

1. Erik Johnson D 6-4/218 R 3/21/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
2. Phil Kessel C 5-11/180 R 10/02/87 Univ. of Minnesota
3. Jonathan Toews C 6-1/185 L 4/29/88 North Dakota Univ.
4. Peter Mueller C 6-2/203 R 4/14/88 Everett
5. Jordan Staal C 6-4/208 L 9/10/88 Peterborough
6. Bryan Little C 5-11/188 R 11/12/87 Barrie
7. Nigel Williams D 6-5/220 L 4/18/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
8. Michael Frolik LW 6-0/187 L 2/17/88 Kladno Sr.
9. Derrick Brassard C 6-0/174 L 9/22/87 Drummondville
10. Mike Forney RW 6-3/190 R 5/14/88 Lincoln H.S.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-01-26-red-line_x.htm

CoolburnIsGone

Hmm, several of the heights & weights listed differ from the midterm CSB rankings. I suppose Redline just uses their preseason info. Here's the ones that I saw different (only looking at those that were more than an inch taller/shorter and more than 5 lbs lighter/heavier):

Kessel 6'0"/189
Toews 6'1.5"/195
Staal 6'4"/215
Backstrom 6'0"/183
Williams 6'4.5"/226
Frolik 6'1"/187
Little 5'10"/190
Forney 6'2"/185

I'd rather draft a 6'0"/189lb Kessell over a 5'11"/180lb Kessel...can't teach size and even though the smaller players are benefitting now, it never hurts to have the size and skills that some of these guys do.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
H N I C said:
Little drops from 6 to 10. :(

Little isnt a top 5, or IMO a top 10 talent in this draft. Expect for him to fall further.

Everyone already knew Backstrom would go top 10, id say he will be top 5 come draft day.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Coolburn said:
Hmm, several of the heights & weights listed differ from the midterm CSB rankings. I suppose Redline just uses their preseason info. Here's the ones that I saw different (only looking at those that were more than an inch taller/shorter and more than 5 lbs lighter/heavier):

Kessel 6'0"/189
Toews 6'1.5"/195
Staal 6'4"/215
Backstrom 6'0"/183
Williams 6'4.5"/226
Frolik 6'1"/187
Little 5'10"/190
Forney 6'2"/185

I'd rather draft a 6'0"/189lb Kessell over a 5'11"/180lb Kessel...can't teach size and even though the smaller players are benefitting now, it never hurts to have the size and skills that some of these guys do.

Yeah, ONE inch and NINE pounds makes all the differance in the world........ :shakehead

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Their is a 1st tier=ERIK JOHNSON =clear #1 BPA...

Their is a 2nd tier --and I'm not certain you can really determine the order of ranking between Kessel,Toews,Staal Backstrom and Little--I would put Mueller,Frolik and Brassard in a 3rd tier with Nigel Williams...that is how I see a top ten...

I have gone through the arguments before: Kessel gets the majority of his points playing on a powerfull PP unit with Potulny and Irmen at Minnesota--5x5 he hasn't dominated--nor does his shooting % excite --one expected more goals from him --sure,he's piled on assists but look who he plays with on that PP unit--one wonders how many goals Towes would have if he played on that loaded PP unit in Minnesota instead of Kessel...there are the other issues too with Kessel--size,indivdual play vs team concept,defensive issues when playing better competion...

Toews--looks more like a goal scorer with his shot than a creative assist guy--may be a better winger/finisher than centre for that reason--he was behind Kessel in development but some scouts would take himahead of Kessel now..

Staal-the young baby of the draft--least developed but already 6'4 215 and stronger than brother Eric was at the same age--his stats show a big improvement over last year-and he should improve next year to 90+ pts...by the time he is 19 he could just dominate the OHL ..so he may (IF HE DEVELOPS AS PROJECTED) have more upside than any of the forwards in this draft..the downside is that if he doesn't progress and figure out the game better--then he may be just a big third liner at the NHL level--so still raw and a work in progress..

Backstrom--the most mature and advanced of any forward in this draft;good in lots of areas --a very safe pick for a first or second line centre...he looked very creative at the WJHC,and conversely his shooting % of 15% is very good playing against the Swedish pros in the SEL...His diving to block a shot on the PK said waves about what an effort he gives and what a team player he is--this in contrast to Kessel's quiiting on a play and not attempting to come back and check when he was caught deep in the offensive zone and the opposition started back in
transition.So no "character" question about Backstro--but there is about Kessel...

Mueller --also a baby for the draft as a late 18 birthday--so may earn more projection points--HOWEVEr he failed to impress me any at the WJHC and at the Top Prospects Game--I must put him only into the third tier of the top ten...

Little--I was not that impressed with him upto this year--but on closer observation I realize he is a player who will always get his points...just a natural points getter..probably has the best sniping shot of any of the forwards in this draft...he is actually bigger (at 195lbs) than Kessel --but neither is that physical ..he has had 3 successive years in the OHL where he has put up the goals and this year he has been even more creative with the assists..he is a natural sniper and will get multiple point nights often..but because these plays happen bang bang-you don't think he's doing much out there at other times in the game...still a CERTAIN "EFFECTIVE" offesive points whiz...you cannot ignore such effectiveness...he belongs in with the 2nd tier because nobody can guarantee which of them wil be the best points guy of the bunch --but there is no reason why Little can't be that guy...he's probably under-rated on most lists..some team is going to get a good value with him ...

Frolik--somehow he has failed to deliver the promise thrust on him 2 years ago when he was crowned a Jewel of this draft crop right up there with Kessel...He still may turn out ok--but I think hes dropped to the bottom half of the top ten on several ranking lists now and certainly on my radar..I think he belongs on the third tier now...

Williams may go 7-10 given his size and should a team need to deepen its D-men prospects base...but I would be shocked if he is picked higher..

I think one has to do this hypothetical: How many points do you think Bryan Little would have if he were a freshman at Minnesota and given the PP time with their loaded team? If you think he couldn't do what Kessel has done by even 3/4 --then there is a legitimate "gap" between them--if you think he would have done about the same --then they should be ranked nearly the same--either Little upgraded or Kessel downgraded ...if you think Little would have done much better--then switch them in your rankings from the 'consensus" views...

I just do not think Kessel is head and shoulders above the other guys in tier two --for the reasons I've expounded. That doesn't mean he isn't a fine prospect--but I think teams will be deluding themselves if they see much of a "gap" in the talent/effectiveness level btween Kessel,Toews,Staal,Backstrom and Little for various different reasons...it will be a crap shoot!

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Nice to see frolik is no longer the top rated european prospect. He's having a lame season. 2 goals, 7 assists, 9 points in 44 games. not great. I can see him going late in the first round rather than the third he was ranked pre-season.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Lundqvist#30 said:
Nice to see frolik is no longer the top rated european prospect. He's having a lame season. 2 goals, 7 assists, 9 points in 44 games. not great. I can see him going late in the first round rather than the third he was ranked pre-season.

The amount of times ive explained this, check what league he plays in compared to the other top ranked prospects in this draft. Plays in a mans league on a thid line. Jagr was similar. Im not saying Frolik will be the best player in the draft, though he has the potential to be, but atleast learn more about his status. If Frolik goes later than 10, its a HUGE steal.

CoolburnIsGone

Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, ONE inch and NINE pounds makes all the differance in the world........ :shakehead
Did I say it made all the difference in the world? No I didn't. I was just pointing out a discrepancy there. Jeez way to get a message confused and try to blow it out of proportion :rolleyes:

But if a team (or let's say a fantasy GM using Redline for info) was trying to debate between say a Kessel or a Toews and looking at the 2, it'd be a harder choice IMO if Kessel is one inch taller and nine pounds heavier and even tougher with Toews an additional 10 lbs heavier than listed at Redline.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
hawksfan50 said:
Kessel...there are the other issues too with Kessel--size,indivdual play vs team concept,defensive issues when playing better competion...

you mean players like Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Zherdev, etc?

Oh deary me, let's never draft someone if they have qualities like those 3 :sarcasm:

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
J17ster said:
The amount of times ive explained this, check what league he plays in compared to the other top ranked prospects in this draft. Plays in a mans league on a thid line. Jagr was similar. Im not saying Frolik will be the best player in the draft, though he has the potential to be, but atleast learn more about his status. If Frolik goes later than 10, its a HUGE steal.

OK my bad. Are you saying he's getting poor ice time and thats limiting his point scoring opportunities? Or at least somthing along those lines.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
J17ster, just wondering how much you have seen Little play????? You seem to be constantly putting him down. :shakehead :amazed: :confused: :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad