8. Benoit Pouliot LW 6-2/180 L 9/29/86 Sudbury
9. Ryan O'Marra RW 6-3/195 R 6/9/87 Erie
10. Jakub Kindl D 6-2/193 L 1/5/87 Kitchener

Wow - three Americans in the top 5!

Link

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
That's pretty interesting. I figured Skille's stock would improve in rankings after his play at the U18 tournament but not that much. I'm interested in knowing how high the other scouting services have bumped him because RLR is always bold with thier personal favorites.

I'd also have to say that that's a pretty intense picture there (Skille looks downright pissed and that's Kessel crying on the right). It must be from last year's U18 World Championships when the US team lost by a goal to Russia after having what seemed like the game tying goal called off in the last minute.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for posting the list. That's an interesting top 10. Kindl as the no.2 ranked dman, is what's intruiged me most. I thought Marc Staal and/or Ryan Parent would have been ranked ahead of him. But what can you do :dunno:

Also, having 2 goalies in the top 10. That's a little odd imo. Not unheard of, but I didn't know Levasseur and Price had gotten close to the top 5. Isn't Rask supposed to be rated higher than those two. Just a few thoughts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
That's pretty interesting. I figured Skille's stock would improve in rankings after his play at the U18 tournament but not that much. I'm interested in knowing how high the other scouting services have bumped him because RLR is always bold with thier personal favorites.

I'd also have to say that that's a pretty intense picture there (Skille looks downright pissed and that's Kessel crying on the right). It must be from last year's U18 World Championships when the US team lost by a goal to Russia after having what seemed like the game tying goal called off in the last minute.

Yeah, you gotta love Woodlief's write-up: "Whether it's with a cracking wrist shot, a thunderous check, a beautiful set-up feed or his constant speed and pressure, Skille is now capable of taking over games. He's as inevitable a force as a 300-car freight train lumbering down the track. One way or another, he's going to wear down the opposition until they give in". Simmah down now Kyle!

Incidently, McKeen's has Skille at 9.

leafaholix*

Woodlief loves these tournaments.

He had Alexander Radulov at #3 around this time last year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Woodlief likes to make risky picks so he can brag about them in the future and look good. That Kastitsyn is sure showing top 5 potential.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Jason MacIsaac said:
Woodlief likes to make risky picks so he can brag about them in the future and look good. That Kastitsyn is sure showing top 5 potential.

Is that sarcasm? Cause Kostitsyn is not showing top 5 potential.

CH Wizard

onice said:
Is that sarcasm? Cause Kostitsyn is not showing top 5 potential.

It was a sarcasm.

Kostitsyn is a bust. :p: j/k

(I'm not kidding :snide: )

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Incidently, McKeen's has Skille at 9.

Yeah, I forgot that McKeens recently bumped him into their top ten. However, that was before the U18 tournament so maybe his jump to the top 5 isn't as far off as I'd thought. Anyone know when the latest ISS rankings were put out and where Skille was on them?

It's interesting looking at the stats for the U18 team considering Skille's recent climb. He's got 52 points in 49 games and is playing like a top 10 draft pick according to two of the top three independent scouting services. Then you can look at Kessel and '88 born Mueller who have 67 points in 33 games and 55 points in 46 games respectively.

It's also interesting to note that Bobby Ryan was initially signed and sealed to the USNTDP team before Owen Sound managed to get him to reconsider and head to the OHL. He's done great there but part of me would have liked to see him together with all the others on the NTDP team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
Yeah, I forgot that McKeens recently bumped him into their top ten. However, that was before the U18 tournament so maybe his jump to the top 5 isn't as far off as I'd thought. Anyone know when the latest ISS rankings were put out and where Skille was on them?

It's interesting looking at the stats for the U18 team considering Skille's recent climb. He's got 52 points in 49 games and is playing like a top 10 draft pick according to two of the top three independent scouting services. Then you can look at Kessel and '88 born Mueller who have 67 points in 33 games and 55 points in 46 games respectively.

It's also interesting to note that Bobby Ryan was initially signed and sealed to the USNTDP team before Owen Sound managed to get him to reconsider and head to the OHL. He's done great there but part of me would have liked to see him together with all the others on the NTDP team.

I'm interested to see how many of these guys are going to be on the WJC team next year. Could be dynamite.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Carl O'Steen said:
Woodlief loves these tournaments.

He had Alexander Radulov at #3 around this time last year.

I was thinking of that as well but the fact that McKeens has him in the top ten without his impressive performance at the U18 tournament factored in makes it more interesting.

leafaholix*

cagney said:
I was thinking of that as well but the fact that McKeens has him in the top ten without his impressive performance at the U18 tournament factored in makes it more interesting.
Well, just pointing out that Woodlief is often wrong.

Last Febuary's edition had...

3. Alexander Radulov (15)
6. Drew Stafford (13)
9. Dave Bolland (32)
10. Enver Lisin (50)

He loves the late season tournaments.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

6. Drew Stafford (13)
9. Dave Bolland (32)
10. Enver Lisin (50)

How can you say he was wrong about anything. All he does is publish his own rankings, he isn't trying to predict anything.

I see what you are saying, and by the same token people shouldn't read into rankings like this as to "this is where player X will be drafted"

But saying he is wrong about anything, is well.....wrong

leafaholix*

TMHUNH said:
How can you say he was wrong about anything. All he does is publish his own rankings, he isn't trying to predict anything.

I see what you are saying, and by the same token people shouldn't read into rankings like this as to "this is where player X will be drafted"

He may not be wrong, but to those who expect player X to go 3rd, 4th or 5th overall... his lists will be wrong.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

6. Drew Stafford (13)
9. Dave Bolland (32)
10. Enver Lisin (50)

Give it 5-7 years and then lets see who is right.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Carl O'Steen said:

I may be mistaken but did he have Chistov ahead of Spezza before?

Don't dare question the ever so knowledgable Kyle Woodlief! The dude lashed out at me in an ESPN chat just for saying Korpikoski had "come out of nowhere". That started a whole tirade of his against THN. :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ilya Zubov: If a horse were this lame, it would've been put down by now.

Juho Mielonen: This truly pains us. He's a real RLR favorite and an absolutely fabulous skater and passer, but we've seen better decision making and common sense from the Bush White House.
Brutal!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Steadfast said:
I may be mistaken but did he have Chistov ahead of Spezza before?

Ahead of Spezza and Kovalchuk and everybody, for a little while.

Then someone probably told him sniffing exhaust might make him giggle and do funny things but could also lead to permanent brain damage so he stopped, came back to reality and put Chistov a little below on the list.

At least, that's only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Ahead of Spezza and Kovalchuk and everybody, for a little while.

Then someone probably told him sniffing exhaust might make him giggle and do funny things but could also lead to permanent brain damage so he stopped, came back to reality and put Chistov a little below on the list.

At least, that's only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

and it's the only explanation that really matters to us.

X0ssbar

No doubt this draft is very top heavy with North Americans. With that said - who is the best Euro prospect out there? Kindl is European correct?

...and where are the Russians this year?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
TMHUNH said:

Yep. In the report he puts out right before the draft, he has a section devoted to players he thinks will go higher/lower in the draft than he has them ranked.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I'm surprised nobody's jumped on this bit yet....

We're letting the cat out of the bag here on our next super sleeper. He is German netminder Lukas Lang, and now that the word is out, there will be a mad scramble to try and see him in league play over in Germany. His future international exposure will be minimal at best, so any team that didn't catch Lang at the recent U-19 tourney in Märsta, Sweden may not get to see him.

It's always dangerous to get excited about a 'keeper (especially a European one) off just one viewing — anyone can look like a world-beater for 60 minutes. But he's big, quick, flexible and has a great temperament for a goalie. The required attributes are all there.

An '86 birthdate who did not opt into last year's draft, Lang is the latest in the rapidly expanding list of intriguing netminders to come out of Germany in the last four or five years (Patzold, Ehelechner, etc.).

That begs the question: Does Germany's recent affinity for producing goalies make them the new Finland? If so, it provides Germany's sagging tourism industry with what is certain to become the hottest marketing slogan in decades: "Come to Germany, we're the new Finland!"

Yes Kyle, there will now be a mad scramble to get a glimpse of Lang now that you've unveiled him to the hockey world. If he's anything like Dave Brown, some team's going to get a steal... in 2006.

I don't mind him hyping up guys like Kostitsyn and Radulov if he truly believes their talent warrents being ranking that highly. But the incessant masturbatory self-congratulation is pretty rough to handle.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
SabreHomer007 said:
Yes Kyle, there will now be a mad scramble to get a glimpse of Lang now that you've unveiled him to the hockey world. If he's anything like Dave Brown, some team's going to get a steal... in 2006. I don't mind him hyping up guys like Kostitsyn and Radulov if he truly believes their talent warrents being ranking that highly. But the incessant masturbatory self-congratulation is pretty rough to handle.

I agree. Most scouts I've met are really humble regarding their finds. To assume that the NHL clus follow Woodlief's lead on these "sleepers" is assuming a bit much. Not only that but several teams had scouts at that particular U-19 tournament; it's not as if Woodlief found him playing on some hidden pond in Bavaria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad