redline chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The full transcript is up for those interested. The link in the first post should take you there. A couple of these topics have come up in recent weeks on the boards.

Zachary Rynew, Los Angeles, CA: I was dissappointed to see Angelo Esposito not make the Canadian Junior team, but down the line, who do you see as being the better player between him and John Tavares?

Kyle Woodlief: I think Team Canada brought Esposito to the selection camp this year primarily to give him a first taste of international competition so he'd be more ready next year, when he will undoubtedly graduate to the big stage. You can't go wrong between these two, but longterm I'd say Tavares may have just a slight bit more upside. The only reason I give him the slight edge is because he's a bit more natural goalscorer, whereas Espo is more the playmaker. Just that natural sniper's mentality makes Tavares a potential gamebreaker at any moment.

Alexandria, VA: Kyle, how close is Toews to Kessel in terms of ability and 'upside'? Thanks!

Kyle Woodlief: Very close. And they are similar players in that both are centres who are more natural snipers than traditional playmaking centremen. Do not forget about Erik Johnson, however. If the team drafting at the top is looking for a defenceman, he's a guy you could legitimately put into that #1 overall discussion. This year's top end reminds Red Line of the "Big Four" from 2002, when Finns Joni Pitkanen and Kari Lehtonen joined Canada's Rick Nash and Jay Bouwmeester to form a very dynamic top four, with a big dropoff after that. When you add Czech winger Michael Frolik to Kessel, Toews, and Johnson, that's a pretty special group at the top.

espo*

Nice stuff.I wonder if anyone has areal chance to take Kessels number 1 slot,which right now is his to lose.methinks if the U.S. runs to gold and he has a great tourney....................it can't happen.Toews looks real good from what i've seen of him so far though,he's come a long way in closing the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad