GDT: Redemption Game?|Jackets-Jets|7:00 p.m.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We need 20 out of 34 points to make the playoffs... The permutations are endless but if we go 10-7 in the last 17 we should get in... Very doable with a winning goal tender...

We need a winning streak now, it's that simple...

Reactions: Lions67

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
And you don’t think those teams could do that? I do.

Of course they could. Do I think they would? No. Certainly not all of them, at least. (And keep in mind, my hypothetical was “just” 7-2-1, something like 8-2-0/8-1-1/9-1-0 just pushes that bar farther, without being a 10-game winning/point streak.)

Carolina plays both Pittsburgh and Montreal in that span, at least one of those teams has to lose in each of those, even if they’re 3-point games.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
fyi.... we are 4-6 in the last ten compared to Carolina who are 8-2....

The Blue Jackets simply don't seem capable of winning the big games.... Sad but so far this season at least the truth..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course they could. Do I think they would? No. Certainly not all of them, at least. (And keep in mind, my hypothetical was “just” 7-2-1, something like 8-2-0/8-1-1/9-1-0 just pushes that bar farther, without being a 10-game winning/point streak.)

Carolina plays both Pittsburgh and Montreal in that span, at least one of those teams has to lose in each of those, even if they’re 3-point games.

We'll definitely be ahead if we go 9-1, it's mathematically impossible for us to be behind Montreal and/or Pittsburgh if we beat them all 3 games in regulation and go 9-1. I'm having a hard time believing CBJW actually believes this as a literal truth that we need to win 10 in a row to get in.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We'll definitely be ahead if we go 9-1, it's mathematically impossible for us to be behind Montreal and/or Pittsburgh if we beat them all 3 games in regulation and go 9-1. I'm having a hard time believing CBJW actually believes this as a literal truth that we need to win 10 in a row to get in.

I really wish people would read. Ive been saying they need a 10 game point streak. However, they’re quickly making it actually be 10 wins in a row

Last edited:

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
:) I did watch him play, thanks. for a guy who was taken in the first round and supposed to be our 1C for years to come, I hold him to a high standard and he hasn't lived up to those standards in nearly 2+ years.

my opinions/observations are mine and your's and your's. cheers.

Why was Wennberg supposed to be your number one centre? You certainly hold him to an absurdly high standard but I believe it is you who has let you down rather than Wennberg, by fantasizing bizarre expectations related to Wennberg, the top-9 centreman.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Welp Torts just covered in his press conference, and it makes perfect sense why Duchene , and Dzingel are struggling to contribute offensively . Torts said they have to learn how to play our system , away from the puck .... Torts , where all good offensive players go to die . What a disgrace

Can someone explain what this means? Do we really have a system, either on the puck or away from it?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It seems increasing clear that the only coaching tool that Torts has is mixing up his line combinations. And, rather obviously, that is not enough.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I really wish people would read. Ive been saying they need a 10 game point streak. However, they’re quickly making it actually be 10 wins in a row

You said winning streak last page, but regardless, according to sportsclubstats, if we finish with 100 points, we have a 100% chance of making the playoffs and 98% chance of finishing WC1 or higher. That’d equate to a 12-4-1 record. Nowhere near a 10-game point streak needed. Finishing with 98 points (11-5-1) gives us about an 85 percent chance of finishing WC1 or higher and a 99 percent chance of making the playoffs.

I maintain my caveat that:

a) This is subject to change if we drop our next 3-4 games. This is as things stand RIGHT NOW.
b) I’m not predicting this team can’t do it, I’m saying they don’t need to.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A few years ago some were posting the team record comparing games with and without Murray.

So I'll follow that up with the recent 45 days or so comparing records with stalwart Brandon Dubinsky. Since his return. The team is 8-11 in 19 games.......but my gosh I'm glad he's there to be the DF (designated face-off) guy.

Reactions: majormajor

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
A few years ago some were posting the team record comparing games with and without Murray.

So I'll follow that up with the recent 45 days or so comparing records with stalwart Brandon Dubinsky. Since his return. The team is 8-11 in 19 games.......but my gosh I'm glad he's there to be the DF (designated face-off) guy.

After the Caps win in February, there was a stretch where we were 8-0 in our previous 8 games with Dubinsky out of the lineup and 0-6 in our previous six with him in the lineup.

ETA: His last game in the lineup was the “Bob losing his mind” in Tampa loss. Then we went on a 4-game winning streak without Dubinsky. Then we went on a 5-game losing streak with him. Then we went on another 4-game winning streak without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

This was the most dumb thing to do of this genius. How they would go on a streak immediately without him, and he would insert him back for no f... reason.
dumbisky.jpg

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
This was the most dumb thing to do of this genius. How they would go on a streak immediately without him, and he would insert him back for no f... reason.
dumbisky.jpg

He wasn’t back in until the Montreal game so those last losses to NYI and Tampa (but also the win over Chi) weren’t with Dubinsky, but the overall point stands.

Torts had a quote that disturbed me at the time but is now extremely alarming. After the New Jersey game/before the (first) Montreal game, he said something to the effect of he thought the team missed Dubi’s energy. This coming off a four-game winning streak, with wins over Nashville and Washington. With Dubi’s energy, the team then went on a 5-game losing streak. Without it, another 4-game winning streak.

Torts has a reputation, fairly or unfairly, as a coach that isn’t made for today’s game. Quotes like that don’t help his cause.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've maintained for a while that guys like Riley Nash, Sedlak, and Hannikainen, and certainly Eric Robinson, are all vastly superior options to Dubinsky. He's done as an NHLer.

The win/loss record is a very crude way of seeing it, though in this case you'd just happen to arrive at the same result as the trustworthy stats. Dubinsky is a -15, which is an impressive number for a 4th liner who doesn't get much ice time. Look at the atrocious effect on the goals for percentage.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
dumbisky.jpg

I'm curious what their record is with and without Murray this year. I'll look later today if nobody beats me to it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Will any blame be placed on the captain? Foligno (glorified 3rd liner) should also play a part in making sure that the team is ready to play. I’ve been on record saying it in the past but I don’t think he’s the type of captain to lead a team to the cup/ long playoff runs.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I've maintained for a while that guys like Riley Nash, Sedlak, and Hannikainen, and certainly Eric Robinson, are all vastly superior options to Dubinsky. He's done as an NHLer.

The win/loss record is a very crude way of seeing it, though in this case you'd just happen to arrive at the same result as the trustworthy stats. Dubinsky is a -15, which is an impressive number for a 4th liner who doesn't get much ice time. Look at the atrocious effect on the goals for percentage.

Really would like to see next game:

Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson
Dzingel - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Wennberg - Nash - Robinson

Or Sedlak/Hanni in for Nash and move Wennberg over to center.

And then just stick with that for awhile. Please. No line blender.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Will any blame be placed on the captain? Foligno (glorified 3rd liner) should also play a part in making sure that the team is ready to play. I’ve been on record saying it in the past but I don’t think he’s the type of captain to lead a team to the cup/ long playoff runs.

I'm not really sure how to reply to this.

I mentioned in the Jarmo thread the players' responsibility in all this current hopefully short-term mess, the leadership group's in particular. The team should not have gotten worse with the addition of the players at the deadline, but I fear it's another example of the group not responding well to pressure, either the good kind or the bad kind.

However, I don't agree that Nick is a glorified third-liner. And as major pointed out, he is the hub of the locker room on a human level. That's gotta count for something.

I'm not a believer that there's a one-size-fits-all demeanor/prescription for a captain. But I do feel there has to be some responsibility shared at that level (player leadership group) for not responding well following the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He wasn’t back in until the Montreal game so those last losses to NYI and Tampa (but also the win over Chi) weren’t with Dubinsky, but the overall point stands.

Torts had a quote that disturbed me at the time but is now extremely alarming. After the New Jersey game/before the (first) Montreal game, he said something to the effect of he thought the team missed Dubi’s energy. This coming off a four-game winning streak, with wins over Nashville and Washington. With Dubi’s energy, the team then went on a 5-game losing streak. Without it, another 4-game winning streak.

Torts has a reputation, fairly or unfairly, as a coach that isn’t made for today’s game. Quotes like that don’t help his cause.
Coach - and no doubt involved in player selection - of the US squad in the Worlds that had Dubinsky and not Phil Kessel in the roster. In what year, what month, what week is Dubi better than Penguin Phil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->