GDT: Redemption Game?|Jackets-Jets|7:00 p.m.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
:) I did watch him play, thanks. for a guy who was taken in the first round and supposed to be our 1C for years to come, I hold him to a high standard and he hasn't lived up to those standards in nearly 2+ years.

my opinions/observations are mine and your's and your's. cheers.

Well you conveniently managed to forget everything good he did, seemed a little bit unfair.

I'm not even a Wennberg fan but here we go again, people constantly exaggerating how bad he is.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Well you conveniently managed to forget everything good he did, seemed a little bit unfair.

I'm not even a Wennberg fan but here we go again, people constantly exaggerating how bad he is.

how are we (those who criticize wennberg with me) exaggerating how bad he is? there is no exaggeration. he's simply not good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
how are we (those who criticize wennberg with me) exaggerating how bad he is? there is no exaggeration. he's simply not good.

When you mention only the things he doesn't do and don't mention the things he does do. Of course it's an exaggeration. That screen was special, at least mention that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Me. But you know, pessimistic

10 games, really? Well don't tell the Jackets players. If a 10 game in a row run is needed to make the playoffs, then they might as well take the next two weeks off. They could lose their next 6-7 games in a row, win 10-11, and then have 95-97 points, which is probably in.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
10 games, really? Well don't tell the Jackets players. If a 10 game in a row run is needed to make the playoffs, then they might as well take the next two weeks off. They could lose their next 6-7 games in a row, win 10-11, and then have 95-97 points, which is probably in.

Not if they lose to Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Montreal. The goose is cooked.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Thoughts on Duchene so far? Obviously very early, and the guy needs to settle in. Do you think he will be able to replace Panarin (to some extent) if he resigns?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
You don't think I look at how we arrive at these positions? I'm the guy counting the odd-man rushes on my hands all game. I didn't see any from the second period through until 2 and a quarter minutes left in the third.

This game started out like a lot of the other recent losses, with odd mans a plenty and the first goal against. But the last half wasn't like our other losses. We have consistently given up tons of odd-mans, I don't know but I don't think we've given up a disproportionate number of tip ins. It's really damn hard to do what Wheeler did.
I didn't say you dont track them, I'm saying that should be the conversation. Not, "we played better". It's moot at this point, I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. No point in getting emotionally invested.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Me. But you know, pessimistic

First, you said it prior to this bad week, so it’s a bit misleading. If we had beaten the Pens and Jets (while still losing to the Oilers yesterday), we’d be 3rd in the Metro: four points ahead of the Pens, two points ahead of the Habs (with a game in hand) and a point ahead of Carolina (with the tiebreaker over all three) despite “only” having a 4-game winning/point streak. (We’d also be only two points back of the NYI and four back of Washington with a game in hand, fwiw.)

And yet, as bad as this week was, we STILL don’t need to do something like that. If we win Tuesday, we’ll be back in a playoff spot ahead of Montreal, so unless they end up making a run like that themselves, we wouldn’t necessarily need to. If we win our next three in regulation and then lose to NYI, we’ll still for sure be ahead of the Penguins (given the tiebreaker) even if they win BOTH of the other two of the next four they play. That’s despite us “only” going on a 3-game winning/point streak. Not even close to 10-game point streak.

If it gets to the point where we drop our next 4 or something, then yeah, we may need to go on a run like that. But when you said it (and even now) it’s not true.

Reactions: majormajor

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Thoughts on Duchene so far? Obviously very early, and the guy needs to settle in. Do you think he will be able to replace Panarin (to some extent) if he resigns?

No, but that’s nothing against Duchene. Panarin’s world class. With that said, I don’t think he needs to fully replace Panarin for us to have success.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Skilled, doesn't play with Panarin, thus not a fit. He's had some good chemistry with Bjorkstrand though

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't say you dont track them, I'm saying that should be the conversation. Not, "we played better". It's moot at this point, I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. No point in getting emotionally invested.

That's the substance of what I meant by "they played better". No odd-mans for that stretch, and I'm not sure if there was much blown coverage anywhere. Some very long possessions too, we hadn't seen that in a few games.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
First, you said it prior to this bad week, so it’s a bit misleading. If we had beaten the Pens and Jets (while still losing to the Oilers yesterday), we’d be 3rd in the Metro: four points ahead of the Pens, two points ahead of the Habs (with a game in hand) and a point ahead of Carolina (with the tiebreaker over all three) despite “only” having a 4-game winning/point streak. (We’d also be only two points back of the NYI and four back of Washington with a game in hand, fwiw.)

And yet, as bad as this week was, we STILL don’t need to do something like that. If we win Tuesday, we’ll be back in a playoff spot ahead of Montreal, so unless they end up making a run like that themselves, we wouldn’t necessarily need to. If we win our next three in regulation and then lose to NYI, we’ll still for sure be ahead of the Penguins (given the tiebreaker) even if they win BOTH of the other two of the next four they play. That’s despite us “only” going on a 3-game winning/point streak. Not even close to 10-game point streak.

If it gets to the point where we drop our next 4 or something, then yeah, we may need to go on a run like that. But when you said it (and even now) it’s not true.

Our playoff odds hit 53%. It's over, regardless of how you slice it, unless they go on another 10 game win streak or something similar like they did last year after the deadline. With their schedule, its over.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Our playoff odds hit 53%. It's over, regardless of how you slice it, unless they go on another 10 game win streak or something similar like they did last year after the deadline. With their schedule, its over.

Um... that proves how much they DON’T need a 10-game winning streak. They currently have above 50% chance of making the playoffs. How on earth does that convert to needing a 10-game winning streak?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Um... that proves how much they DON’T need a 10-game winning streak. They currently have above 50% chance of making the playoffs. How on earth does that convert to needing a 10-game winning streak?

Because everyone they're competing with is at least above 65%? If this team were to be fortunate enough to stumble into the playoffs against Tampa in round 1, they'd get swept. WC2 isn't making the playoffs to me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While we're on this topic, the team needs to practice some PP plays that actually involve Duchene. They haven't been trying any down-low threat in ages, but this guy is way too skilled to just leave him standing there beside the net all day. Give him the puck.

Skilled, doesn't play with Panarin, thus not a fit. He's had some good chemistry with Bjorkstrand though

In all the dream lineups I've been posting all year, it's Duchene on the second line every time. Dubois stays with Panarin, for chemistry and to spread the scoring. I don't think it makes sense to play Duchene with Panarin, and yet Duchene is exactly what we need - a strong 1b Center who can get offence out of wingers like Bjorkstrand. That would make him a fit. There may be some team systems issues however.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Think we can all agree that Jarmo might've gotten duped on Dzingel.

At least a few posters have already said, I think rightly, that we aren't going to judge individuals when the team isn't clicking.

I doubt he'll be a great long term fit with the Jackets (too weak on the forecheck, not as skilled as a guy like Bjorkstrand), but there's time to be wrong there.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Another moral victory I guess.... I've seen 150 of these over the years in Columbus.... Change one player instead of 12 and good things will happen.... Confidence starts from the net out.... Trust me, I've seen Hasek, Miller, Parent, Dryden, Smith and more play... Winning begins between the pipes folks...

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Because everyone they're competing with is at least above 65%? If this team were to be fortunate enough to stumble into the playoffs against Tampa in round 1, they'd get swept. WC2 isn't making the playoffs to me.

A little hypothetical: Let’s say we go 7-2-1 in our next 10 (beating Pittsburgh both times in regulation and Carolina in regulation). Really good record over a 10-game stretch, but still three losses. So it’s not really close to a 10-game winning streak. In order to not be behind us (factoring in tiebreaker) with seven games to go:

Pittsburgh would have to go 7-1-0 in their other 8 games.
Carolina would have to go 6-2-1 in their other 9 games.
Montreal would have to go 7-2-0 in their 9 games (only 9 games, not 10, since they’ve played 66 games already).

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
A little hypothetical: Let’s say we go 7-2-1 in our next 10 (beating Pittsburgh both times in regulation and Carolina in regulation). Really good record over a 10-game stretch, but still three losses. So it’s not really close to a 10-game winning streak. In order to not be behind us (factoring in tiebreaker) with seven games to go:

Pittsburgh would have to go 7-1-0 in their other 8 games.
Carolina would have to go 6-2-1 in their other 9 games.
Montreal would have to go 7-2-0 in their 9 games (only 9 games, not 10, since they’ve played 66 games already).

And you don’t think those teams could do that? I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->