Redden as option?

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
He'd be good on the 3rd pairing, but we already have enough d-men that could play on the 3rd pairing...

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I voted worth a look.

I don't think the fact that the Rangers left him in the AHL necessarily means he's incapable of playing in the NHL anymore. The Rangers made a lot of risky signings knowing full well they could just eat the money, send the player to the AHL and sign another FA with the extra cap space. Redden wasn't playing like a $6.5 million D-man and Gaborik was available, so they ate the money and signed Gaborik.

There's a decent chance Redden can still play [sheltered minutes] in a bottom pairing and on the PP/PK. There's no way I'd offer him a guaranteed roster spot or much money, but if he looked good in camp against NHL players you could do worse with that 7th D-man spot.

TL;DR: They should give him a camp tryout after the Rags buy him out and see what he looks like.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
At the very least Redden deserves to hit 1000 games and retire a Senator.

At most he can be a 6/7 defencemen

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
The man has 994 NHL games played, and it'd be pretty rad if he could play 6 more in a Sens jersey. You never know, but he could end up being a decent 3rd pairing guy. I'd say worth a look, and I hope he hits 1000 with someone.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I once posted a thread in the rangers forum asking (honestly) how Redden's play was doing. I was immediately given an infraction. Basically tells you how he's doing.

:yashin:

General Granny*

He sucks, on our Bingo depth chart he would barely make the top 6 and that's in the minors.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Wiercioch Boro and Gryba all had more points than Redden last year. The only thing Redden has is a ton of experience but Im not sure that bringing him in would do anything to develop the prospects.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1. 6 games is significant in a shortened season.

2. You can't afford to have a guy who has to play sheltered minutes. With Cowen out and Lundin down, what happens if we lose another d-man?

It's a nice gesture but the timing couldn't be worse, and personally I'm willing to turn the page on the old Senators.

I love Alfredsson to death, but if he can't contribute in the NHL any longer, he's got to sit down just like everyone else.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
1. 6 games is significant in a shortened season.

2. You can't afford to have a guy who has to play sheltered minutes. With Cowen out and Lundin down, what happens if we lose another d-man?

It's a nice gesture but the timing couldn't be worse, and personally I'm willing to turn the page on the old Senators.

I love Alfredsson to death, but if he can't contribute in the NHL any longer, he's got to sit down just like everyone else.

Nobody is talking about this year, NYR can't use their amnesty buyout until the off-season

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
I would not mind to see Redden back (as a cheap contract), but i would never want to see Ya$hin back even for free.

Nobody is talking about this year, NYR can't use their amnesty buyout until the off-season

So when he's even older. There's no way in hell that he'd be able to keep up anymore. This will never happen ever. What a disrespect to all of Ottawa's defensive prospects.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So when he's even older. There's no way in hell that he'd be able to keep up anymore. This will never happen ever. What a disrespect to all of Ottawa's defensive prospects.

6 games (tryout) out of 82. Calm down it is not a big sacrifice to arguably our best ever defencemen (so far EK will pass him) to hit a big milestone, and retire in the city he wanted to win a cup in

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
no. waiver wire is NOT a possibility. the rangers would have had him on waivers continuously after the first year of that contract if they could have and would have LOVED to have some one take him. no one would go near that contract though. if you pick him up you have to take that contact on. even on re-entry waivers for 1/2 the value, redden for multiple years at $3mil is an albatross.

i wouldnt mind having redden here at all on a very short term (1-2 year) deal for $1mil or less. he's a quality guy and a true senator. i think he can still be fine as a depth defenceman/mentor for young guys.

Reddens contract is over after next year according Cap geek he is owed 5 million in salary so him on wavier at half is 2.5 million

Rangers didnt do it 1st 2nd cause his cap hit was 8 million next 2 years 6.5 and these last 2 years 5 million each

Last edited:

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
6 games (tryout) out of 82. Calm down it is not a big sacrifice to arguably our best ever defencemen (so far EK will pass him) to hit a big milestone, and retire in the city he wanted to win a cup in

Dude, the first thing on Ottawa's mind should be winning the Cup.

I don't get it. Redden had his career already, those 6 games could be used for Cody Ceci next year, or any other defenceman in the world.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

No one thinks they should give him a 3 year deal and stick him next to Karlsson, just give him a look in training camp next year. If he's awful,cut him loose. If he can still pass the puck well he's better than most other scrap heap D-men.

Again, the fact that he's been in the AHL doesn't automatically mean he's incapable of making an NHL roster. The Rangers had the choice between keeping Redden on the NHL roster and signing Gaborik. They picked Gaborik.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Preface: Wade Redden was my favourite player growing up.

I'd support bringing Redden back after he is bought out by the Rangers. Give him a one year, two-way deal, and call him up sometime early in the season for his 6 games. Keep him as the 6/7 if he proves he can handle it, if not, send him to the AHL to help mentor our young blueliners.

This is exactly how I feel right down to the fact that Redden was my favourite senator too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad