Redden as option?

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Given our lack of depth on d, what about Redden who should be available relatively cheap due to the Rangers buying him out...

He's 6 games (I think) away from 1,000, if that matters...

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Shouldn't be our first option but I wouldn't mind seeing him play his 1000th game with us one bit.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Buyout will be in the summer, but yes, I would like to see Redden get his 1000th game in a Sens uniform. Maybe as a 7th D next year.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
If the goal is to bring players onto the roster who can help us win rather than to help former players reach milestones then why do this? Redden was severely diminished 4 years ago and hasn't improved since.

Move on. Please.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Redden could be a solid veteren leader for the young guys .Rangers and the yound defencemen have credited him for his help with player development. I have no problem with him coming back for a season or as come in as the 7th dmen
Believe he had almost 50 points in 70 games in ahl last year shows me he can still play

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It seems like there's a lot of confusion about the buyouts - they aren't until the summer. So we couldn't get Redden even if we wanted

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Redden could be a solid veteren leader for the young guys .Rangers and the yound defencemen have credited him for his help with player development. I have no problem with him coming back for a season or as come in as the 7th dmen
Believe he had almost 50 points in 70 games in ahl last year shows me he can still play

Had 42 points in 70 games two years ago.
Had 20 points in 49 games last year.

Hasn't played a game yet this year (was locked out).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It would be nice, but I don't think he can be the guy that does much in your top 6 - we need big minute Dman and Reddden is probably a #6/7 fill in guy these days

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
It would be nice, but I don't think he can be the guy that does much in your top 6 - we need big minute Dman and Reddden is probably a #6/7 fill in guy these days

And what's wrong with him coming in as a 6/7 fill in guy for <$1 Million?

Nothing wrong with a little leadership, and at the same time there's nothing wrong with letting one of your better players come back and retire with your organisation.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
no. waiver wire is NOT a possibility. the rangers would have had him on waivers continuously after the first year of that contract if they could have and would have LOVED to have some one take him. no one would go near that contract though. if you pick him up you have to take that contact on. even on re-entry waivers for 1/2 the value, redden for multiple years at $3mil is an albatross.

i wouldnt mind having redden here at all on a very short term (1-2 year) deal for $1mil or less. he's a quality guy and a true senator. i think he can still be fine as a depth defenceman/mentor for young guys.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm not answering because i'm guessing that would turn out bad for the team. But i really like the idea of helping the guy out and letting him come back to his original team.

Being the kind of guy i am i would lean towards yes, give him a shot. (even though i know it is a bad idea)
Imagine how unbelievable it would be if he did work out for some reason and got to play with alfie again in their last years? It would bring tears to my eyes.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It seems like there's a lot of confusion about the buyouts - they aren't until the summer. So we couldn't get Redden even if we wanted

I believe team retaining contract costs takes affect once the CBA is ratified. Teams can retain a max of 3m per single player trades.

Redden's cap hit is 6.5m but actual salary is 5m if I am not mistaken.

This means we would only have to spend 2m per season for him. I think that is fair, saves the Rangers 4m if they were to buy him out.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I voted no because he's not a UFA yet since as it was said earlier buyouts won't happen until the summer. Although I personally don't really want him back Campoli may be the best UFA option as long as it's only a 1 year deal.

edit:

The waiver option is still too steep a price for Redden both in dollars and length.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't oppose a one-year contract for dirt cheap after the buyout, with a verbal agreement to give him a few games.

But I don't think there is a chance it happens as long as Bryan Murray is calling the shots. And that's probably for the best.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
No I wouldn't bother. The man is washed up. Murray should be looking towards the future and not the past in our defense.

All Wade is good for at this point is to plug a hole.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Preface: Wade Redden was my favourite player growing up.

I'd support bringing Redden back after he is bought out by the Rangers. Give him a one year, two-way deal, and call him up sometime early in the season for his 6 games. Keep him as the 6/7 if he proves he can handle it, if not, send him to the AHL to help mentor our young blueliners.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yessssh. I was hoping you would be able to trade cash this CBA, like the NBA does, and am stoked teams can retain money, which is basically the same thing.

It allows small market teams like us, who dont need all our cap space to pick up overpaid (cap hit wise) contracts from bigger market cap teams, which opens up a lot more options for us to get some quality players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad