Helene St. James Red Wings will re-call 1-2 Forwards from GR. Who do you think it will be and why?

Forwards

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
People can't actually be mad that this guy is coming up for a couple games, and likely playing 6min a night. SMH
At some point it has to be obvious that some people are just messing with people.

Last edited:

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
So why is he getting to the show instead of grooming Zadina down there or other prospects that actually matter to the DRW?

I think a more important question to you should be why you're always outraged at everything...

There a million reason why Megan (I don't even know who that is) could have been picked over anyone else but there's a really simple explanation why Zadina hasn't been called up instead: We just saw him, displaying that he isn't ready even playing in pre-season games. From every report here, he's a;so not up to speed at the AHL yet.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
People can't actually be mad that this guy is coming up for a couple games, and likely playing 6min a night. SMH
At some point it has to be obvious that some people are just messing with people.

I wasn’t mad, I just had no clue who the man even was.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hurts least for anybody's development, when it's Megan who plays those five 4th line minutes.

The real news in here was Hicketts finally sent down. At least now they have strong defence there at Griffins and can start winning and pushing up Zadina's confidence.

Sulak - Hronek
Lashoff - Saarijärvi
Hicketts - McIlrath
Chelios

Trading Jensen and calling up Hronek should be the next organizational long-term move.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThankGord

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't understand why Megan got the call over Puempel.

Red Wings need a centerman which Megan is and Puempel is not (he is a right winger). Red Wings also need a player that can play in all situations (5 on 5, play on the PK, and can play on the PP) when needed. Megan for the Griffins has played on the PP unit and plays on the PK unit as well. Puempel is primarily a scorer and is found on our PP unit.

Hicketts became expendable with the Wings D-men all coming back from injury (DK being the last one coming back), Cholowski playing well, and the sudden shortage of forwards (mainly at center).

Reactions: kliq

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
When I saw Megan in the list of choices, I kinda thought it might be a joke. I don't pay much attention to the GRGs.

When making the list I included Megan, Puempel and Terry about 50% as a Holland related joke and 50% because they have been productive in the AHL so far, which is what the NHL club needs while missing Nielsen, AA and Vanek.

I left out Pope because he's so far been a spare part at the AHL level, which probably puts him pretty low on the list of potential recalls.

I guess the Megan recall kind of makes sense when you look at where the team is center wise. Without Nielsen and AA, at center the team has Larkin followed by a black hole of guys that are at best #4C options or aren't ready to take on the role at the NHL level yet. Not that Megan is any better, but given that he's been productive at the AHL level, maybe they think he can help generate some offense in a sheltered role in the line blender in AA and Nielsens absence.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Zadina has been lousy in grand rapids thus far, how has he earned a call up?

Nope he needs to stay down there and dominate otherwise he will get another chance to next season, his choice and his alone

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm going to say Megan/Terry/Puempel 2 of 3.

Kinda of lost faith in this "Holland" process and just waiting for the wheels to spin so Yzerman can join the club.
I mentioned you don't draft a RW/LW to develope over a top pairing defensemen unless you think the guy is so good he can help year one and got ripped by all the fan boys here suggesting it's basically a lock Zadina is a 30 plus scorer.

Bouchards played some games in the NHL already and looks a little out of place but not totally terrible. Quinn Hughes looks really great in the early going at Michigan again. Idk, I don't like how from draft night most thought he could play year 1 to now he's not producing in the AHL and looks more and more like the Zadina project vs the young talent that'll produce often and early like I was solid.

Still early for Zadina though, things can change quickly for him. Seen it before.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
You’re right; 2 games don’t really matter a lot in the grande scheme. It's just frustrating that there isn’t a better option at this point.

Obviously the injury to Svech is a bad break. Patience seems to be the right play with Zadina. Holmstrom, Smith, and Pope are looking like they need some more time as well. Other scorers like Puempel are just hired guns for the AHL so probably not a lot of point.

So while I get why they didn’t go in a different route, calling up Megan leaves a guy feeling we don’t have a lot of help outside of the NHL right now. That in turn leaves you feeling disappointed and frustrated.

I agree it's a letdown. Hard to believe there's no better option for now, or the rest of the season. It says something about how early the Wings are in the rebuild and how long the road ahead could be.

Should have kicked this off and started selling players back in 2016 when Datsyuk split.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Make a case for zadina being called up. We're all ears errr eyes.
Would make the red wings more money by getting bodies in those empty seats. If he sucks send him back down. Nothing will happen if he doesn't play well. This is a business and in order to excite the fans you have to have promising young players. I would even give him second unit PP time. Zero risk high reward with no downside.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Would make the red wings more money by getting bodies in those empty seats. If he sucks send him back down. Nothing will happen if he doesn't play well. This is a business and in order to excite the fans you have to have promising young players. I would even give him second unit PP time. Zero risk high reward with no downside.
1. I think you vastly over estimate the number of red wings fans that have the slightest clue who Filip Zadina is, let alone would buy a ticket for him.

2. If this WERE a model for selling tickets, we already have two recent first rounders 10 games into their careers with the Red Wings. They are already doing what you want them to do.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I'm going to say Megan/Terry/Puempel 2 of 3.

Kinda of lost faith in this "Holland" process and just waiting for the wheels to spin so Yzerman can join the club.
I mentioned you don't draft a RW/LW to develope over a top pairing defensemen unless you think the guy is so good he can help year one and got ripped by all the fan boys here suggesting it's basically a lock Zadina is a 30 plus scorer.

Bouchards played some games in the NHL already and looks a little out of place but not totally terrible. Quinn Hughes looks really great in the early going at Michigan again. Idk, I don't like how from draft night most thought he could play year 1 to now he's not producing in the AHL and looks more and more like the Zadina project vs the young talent that'll produce often and early like I was solid.

Still early for Zadina though, things can change quickly for him. Seen it before.
How Hughes looks against people his height and weight is no indication on how he would look against monsters in the NHL.

There is a reason why Hughes is playing in Michigan other than "unfinished business;" Vancouver realizes he is a hobbit and needs another year to hit the weight room hard and hopefully gain 30 pounds before he can even step on the ice at the NHL level and play a full season.

People need to pump the breaks on any pospect that isn't generational, I don't believe they realize how big of a jump from the Q to the N is. Shit, the jump from the A to the N is massive.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
How Hughes looks against people his height and weight is no indication on how he would look against monsters in the NHL.

There is a reason why Hughes is playing in Michigan other than "unfinished business;" Vancouver realizes he is a hobbit and needs another year to hit the weight room hard and hopefully gain 30 pounds before he can even step on the ice at the NHL level and play a full season.

People need to pump the breaks on any pospect that isn't generational, I don't believe they realize how big of a jump from the Q to the N is. ****, the jump from the A to the N is massive.

Yeah your right, drafting a winger to develop is a more sound strategy than drafting top pairing defense men to develop.

And as far as Holland/his prospect I have a real right to question his drafting I think so whatever, follow whatever you read and your ranks. Call me dumb and try to act like i'm pigeon holing the defense men to being year one players when I'm, not. I'm saying all things equal, you should draft defense men and develop them vs wingers, Unless the winger is so good he'll come in and make impact early and you know you have a 30 plus goal scorer annually. It's harder to get really good top pairing defense vs good wingers.

I'm just watching four other prospects do well, develop, and watching ours struggle and only wings fans are defending him calling the jump "BIG" and stuff when I get that, but why did we draft a winger and not a D to develop? Which is more important?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I mean really the guys we passed on are doing well and the guy we picked is struggling, basically got all his points in 1 game, and is a -9.

What am I suppose to be encouraged over in the early going and why am I not allowed to question his selection? It's not over or anything, but I'm frustrated with Holland historically for a long time with how he drafts(bad), and who he pays, how long he pays people, etc. Cap era Holland has made more questionable moves than sound ones.

I'm greatful for everything Holland did till about '10 when most knew it was over and he stalled the rebuild by tossing money, etc, etc. in the mean time also basically drafting 2nd line players and 3rd pairing defense men as his best players. Time catches up with everyone and I'm ready for some new moves.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So the great idea is to send on an important future asset who clearly isn't ready by any measure to sell some seats. Kthen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean really the guys we passed on are doing well and the guy we picked is struggling, basically got all his points in 1 game, and is a -9.

What am I suppose to be encouraged over in the early going and why am I not allowed to question his selection? It's not over or anything, but I'm frustrated with Holland historically for a long time with how he drafts(bad), and who he pays, how long he pays people, etc. Cap era Holland has made more questionable moves than sound ones.
The guys we passed on are in junior/college except for Bouchard.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
So the great idea is to send on an important future asset who clearly isn't ready by any measure to sell some seats. Kthen.

Well no, actually I don't believe in that either. What you said is true, the cats out of the bag as far as Zadina imo. He'll be in the AHL the whole year.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The guys we passed on are in junior/college except for Bouchard.

So what? So was Cholowski and Rasmussen last year? WHL I believe? Larkin came right from the NCAA.

Honestly it's looking like Zadina should of stay'd in the Q, developed physically this year and the summer and attempted to join the team after beefing up a little like all the aforementioned above. Gaining confidence... The speed/spacing seems to be bothering him the most. (Just my thoughts).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->