News Article: Red Wings Want 1st Round Pick for Howard

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
A 1st may be a stretch. But a late 2nd does feel underwhelming... so I could see why he is asking for a late 1st.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
As I posted in the main board thread, I can see him garnering a conditional 1st that is reliant on the acquiring team making the CFs.

Mrazek had 22 starts by mid February, with a .910 and 2.89 GAA, and a minimum 4 million dollar qualifier making him essentially a UFA at the end of the year. If Howie keeps up his level of play into mid January I could see a desperate team that's in the hunt making a move.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As I posted in the main board thread, I can see him garnering a conditional 1st that is reliant on the acquiring team making the CFs.

Mrazek had 22 starts by mid February, with a .910 and 2.89 GAA, and a minimum 4 million dollar qualifier making him essentially a UFA at the end of the year. If Howie keeps up his level of play into mid January I could see a desperate team that's in the hunt making a move.

I think that's the correct answer. Conditional 1st given the team advances to the round of 4. If that happens, they'll be happy to give up the 1st. Otherwise a GM knows they'll get shredded for spending draft capital on a rental goalie that has a groin made of soft cheese.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It might sound scummy but our best bet for getting this is hoping a top tier goalie on a playoff team has a major injury. That will drive the market value way up for a Howard rental.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think we can get that as a return. Howard (and a couple others) are the only reason this team is somewhat in playoff contention right now.

I hope Holland has a plan though if he gets rid of him. We don't exactly have any prospects close to being ready and Bernier stinks. Trading Jimmy essentially means it's back to the tank.

Reactions: 14ari13

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It'll be draft pick(s) that are conditional based on starts, wins and playoff rounds.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think we can get that as a return. Howard (and a couple others) are the only reason this team is somewhat in playoff contention right now.

I hope Holland has a plan though if he gets rid of him. We don't exactly have any prospects close to being ready and Bernier stinks. Trading Jimmy essentially means it's back to the tank.

Well, I dont see the playoffs for us this season and on that i think most of us agree.
So, we lack a replacement for Howard if Holland trades him... but do we?
I'd shove all in on Holland bringing Jimmy back in the off season if he were traded.
He'd likely be sent to a team as a rental anyways ( starter injured or some such )
Back to the tank for this season, draft a bit higher, bring him back in the off season and profit?!?!

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Howard non going to help in about 5 years we ready for cup. We can trade him late first and keep his pay, or conditional first

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
When asked about Howard's fate at the deadline, Holland has 3 options:
* Say nothing / decline comment.
* Talk up the player, asking for the sun and moon to consider trading him.
* Give a cliche response, saying that he likes his players, but is always looking at how best to improve the roster.

In any negotiation, you start by asking for more than you hope to get, and bargain from there based on leverage. I have no issue with Holland making it seem like it would take a king's ransom to get Howard in December.

Just so he's open to a solid deal (or better) in February.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, sounds like Holland is placing his want high, to let other teams know he is not considered a cap dump or low value on our team. Doubt Holland believes he would get anything higher than say 26th or so overall, as no team is giving more than that up unless they were guaranteed to go deep in the playoffs. To me, do the best you can to trade Howard for as high as you can get of a return, and honestly I would trade Nyquist already. Gus is red hot right now, more than likely he is going to slow down by the deadline, that I would think his value is much higher right now. If he gets into any sustained slump his value is going to plummet. Right now, they can say, look we a have a nearly point a game rental, and I honestly don't see his value increasing.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
That's why there were 7 pick for player trades involving 1st's in last year's draft. :thumbu:
A bit different, I should have been clearer as many trades involved a 1st coming back (like TML traded down, Blues got the Caps 1st round back, the BOS/OTT/PITT trade etc). I didn't say that these trades don't happen, only that teams are more reluctant to trades 1sts than in past times. They place more value on 1sts than 5-10 years ago IMO.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A bit different, I should have been clearer as many trades involved a 1st coming back (like TML traded down, Blues got the Caps 1st round back, the BOS/OTT/PITT trade etc). I didn't say that these trades don't happen, only that teams are more reluctant to trades 1sts than in past times. They place more value on 1sts than 5-10 years ago IMO.

perhaps a bit

I don't think it's quite fair to say there's been some massive change when Ryan Hartman fetched a first at the deadline last year either though

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
A 1st or a 2nd for Howard & Nyquist each at the trade deadline would definitely be welcomed for the continued rebuild. Drafting more solid D would be nice to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad