Red Wings vs Oilers vs Penguins: Top 6

Best Top 6

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
given the three teams above, which of the three have the best top 6 collection of players listed below

Wings: Howe, Datsyuk, Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Sawchuk

Oilers: Gretzky, McDavid, Draisaitl, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr

Pens: Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr, Letang, Barrasso

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
No one can compete with the Oilers here. They start out in front with the great one and have 5 HHOF players behind him

It is crazy to see how much of the all-time talent these 3 franchises have had

Well Detroit starts with Howe and then also has 5 HHOFers behind him lol

Gretzky > Howe
Messier > Yzerman
Fuhr < Sawchuk
Coffey < Lidstrom
McDavid > Fedorov
Draisatil < Datsyuk

Detroit is at least an argument, they have the far better goalie and defenseman.

Their centers are more well rounded

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well Detroit starts with Howe and then also has 5 HHOFers behind time lol

Gretzky > Howe
Messier > Yzerman
Fuhr < Sawchuk
Coffey < Lidstrom
McDavid > Fedorov
Draisatil < Datsyuk

Detroit is at least an argument, they have the far better goalie and defenseman.

Their centers are more well rounded
Starting with Howe versus Gretzky is already a huge gap

I don't know how you can say with a straight face that Howe, Yzerman, Fedorov, and Datsyuk is a better well rounded center group than Grtezky, Messier, McDavid and Draisaitl

Detroit is clearly 3 in this comparison, which isn't even an insult- the Oilers and Penguins just have the 2 most talented groups in NHL history

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
given the three teams above, which of the three have the best top 6 collection of players listed below

Wings: Howe, Datsyuk, Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Sawchuk

Oilers: Gretzky, McDavid, Draisaitl, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr

Pens: Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr, Letang, Barrasso

Gretzky slight gap over Lemieux
Crosby + Jagr above anyone else on Oilers (lets say Messier and McDavid)
Malkin over Drai

I dont like Fuhr too much tbh. Barasso was good enough. Essentially i give goalies 0 thoughts here.

Coffey is obviously way better than Letang, but i believe Letang is good enough. Very solid #1D who won 3 cups.

I prefer the forwards on Pens, ignore goalies, and coffey > Letang isn't enough to change my vote.

Close though.

As for Detroit - they dont really measure up imo.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

I don't know how you can say with a straight face that Howe, Yzerman, Fedorov, and Datsyuk is a better well rounded center group than Grtezky, Messier, McDavid and Draisaitl

Detroit is clearly 3 in this comparison, which isn't even an insult- the Oilers and Penguins just have the 2 most talented groups in NHL history

I'm not saying Detroit forwards are better but what's so well rounded about the Oilers group? Gretzky is a one way offensive dynamo, same with McDavid and Drai (not saying any of them are defensive liabilities but they aren't adding anything either). Messier sure is good defensively and very nasty/physical. The Detroit group has Howe who is better than anyone offensively (except Gretzky obviously) but was also a great 2 way player and super physical and Fedorov+Datsyuk who each competed for the ross while winning the selke. Detroit's group is easily more "rounded". Obviously Oilers are still better because of Gretzky.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If we're going back to the Howe era, the Habs could come up with a group to compete with anyone.
Beliveau, the Rocket, Lafleur
Robinson, Harvey
Plante, Dryden, Roy in net. Take your pick.

Reactions: bobholly39

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The real question is what about if you added the Sharks in there?

Jamal Mayers, John Scott, Ben Eager, Scott Nichol, Jim Vandermeer, Ed Belfour

Second group:
Kurtis Gabriel, Tommy Wingels, Brad Staubitz, Scott Parker, Doug Murray, Devan Dubnyk
#grit

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Gretzky (18) > Lemieux(17) > Howe (16) > Lidstrom(15) > Crosby (14) > McDavid (13) > Jagr (12) > Messier (11) Yzerman(10)> Sawchuk(9) > Federov (8) > Malkin (7) > Drai (6) > Datsyuk (5) > Fuhr (4) > Coffey(3) Barrasso (2) >Letang (1)

Detroit: 63
Edmonton: 55
Pittsburgh: 53

Not surprised.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gretzky/McDavid/Messier/Draisaitl?

disgusting. You could throw Marc Andre Bergeron and Fred Braithwaite in as the D and G and I’d still probably take the Oiler group

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky (18) > Lemieux(17) > Howe (16) > Lidstrom(15) > Crosby (14) > McDavid (13) > Jagr (12) > Messier (11) Yzerman(10)> Sawchuk(9) > Federov (8) > Malkin (7) > Drai (6) > Datsyuk (5) > Fuhr (4) > Coffey(3) Barrasso (2) >Letang (1)

Detroit: 63
Edmonton: 55
Pittsburgh: 53

Not surprised.

That's your interpretation. I'd go:

Gretzky 18
Lemieux 17
Howe 16
Crosby 15
Jagr 14
McDavid 13 (future projections, if not lower)
Messier 12
Lidstrom 11
Yzerman 10
Malkin 9
Coffey 8
Sawchuk 7
Fedorov 6
Drai 5
Datsyuk 4
Fuhr 3
Barasso 2
Letang 1

Which is:

Edmonton 59
Detroit 54
Pittsburgh 58

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

What are you talking about lol, Fedorov, Yzerman and Datsyuk are three of the greatest two-way centers of all time. Messier is the only Oilers center of that group who was good defensively. They are clearly more well rounded as a group. Part of building a core is not getting outscored by the other team and I'd trust the Red Wings group with that over the Oilers.

Offensively sure the Oilers are better, but you're vastly underrating Lidstrom/Howe/Sawchuk if you think the Penguins group is better IMO because Barrasso and Letang are the two weakest links in this whole exercise.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers Group.

The combination of speed, quickness, IQ, and prime Messier to compliment the rough stuff. People forget just how good prime Messier was in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad