Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings vs Montréal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The only anticipated change is Howard is expected to start.
It's been so weird, how often Howard games are low scoring by both teams, while Mrazek games are high scoring by both teams. There have definitely been exceptions to the trend (including vs Buffalo yesterday), but it's certainly more than an occasional phenomenon.

That said, tonight has the feel of a lopsided loss...but who knows anymore with this team.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's been so weird, how often Howard games are low scoring by both teams, while Mrazek games are high scoring by both teams. There have definitely been exceptions to the trend (including vs Buffalo yesterday), but it's certainly more than an occasional phenomenon.

That said, tonight has the feel of a lopsided loss...but who knows anymore with this team.

Yeah if Mrazek could stop some more pucks we'd win more, but I think part of it is that the team plays very differently in front of each goalie. Mrazek is better at handling the puck and giving outlet passes so the forwards and the D are "cheating" more and hoping to break out. Sometimes this means he ends up all alone or with bad odd man rushes so the opposition scores more. Last year he would make highlight reel saves whenever there was an odd man rush so it wasn't a problem. Now he can't cover for the defense as well. With Howard they're playing it very safe and preventing odd man rushes, and he's doing a good job of keeping the puck out of the net...but then the team never scores and we lose anyway.

I'm going to guess this will be an ugly one. Howard lets in three in the first. Mrazek starts the second...and Howard starts the third :laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Amount of times I saw Mrazek play the puck to anywhere but behind the net last night = 1

How do you explain the situation last year when Howard was getting goal support and Pete was getting none?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ben Street was recalled. I am sure glad we have room for Colorado's castoff/30 year old AHL journeyman :help:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ben Street was recalled. I am sure glad we have room for Colorado's castoff/30 year old AHL journeyman :help:

I don't support the move but it doesn't make sense to call up two young players from GR to sit in the press box. Edit: assuming Callahan is gtg now and he and noise aren't the ones watching

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I don't support the move but it doesn't make sense to call up two young players from GR to sit in the press box. Edit: assuming Callahan is gtg now and he and noise aren't the ones watching

Callahan is back in Grand Rapids

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Street has had some pretty good stats in the AHL, I guess it's a thank you call-up.

I'm glad to see that they're keeping Svechnikov in GR, no sense in rushing his development.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Street has had some pretty good stats in the AHL, I guess it's a thank you call-up.

I'm glad to see that they're keeping Svechnikov in GR, no sense in rushing his development.

My guess is he'll get a game.. They're making sure to safe their call-ups.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

It's another emergency call up so they still have the 3 left...he may not even play

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Well, Montoya is starting so we may actually score a goal. I'll say this'll be a 6-1 loss. Abby with the lone goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->