Rumor: Red Wings shopping for a D-man on trade market

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
We're in a position of dire need (wingers. We need several) there is a hint of leverage. Especially considering there are other defensemen out there that we know of. Potentially more we don't. Did anyone predict Larsson would be traded?

Yes actually. Larsson was one of the names being thrown around for awhile.

Dire need? Dood we need one top 6 winger.

We aren't in "dire" need because we let Perron McGinn and Stewart walk lol

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes actually. Larsson was one of the names being thrown around for awhile.

Dire need? Dood we need one top 6 winger.

We aren't in "dire" need because we let Perron McGinn and Stewart walk lol

Have you looked at our depth chart? Yeah if we play Rakell at W then we only need top 6 guy, but then we need like 3 more. Do you suggest we use all AHL guys to plug in the holes?

I didn't hear about Larsson. That's on me.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Have you looked at our depth chart? Yeah if we play Rakell at W then we only need top 6 guy, but then we need like 3 more. Do you suggest we use all AHL guys to plug in the holes?

Yea I think that's been the plan the whole time.

RC even mentioned that in his presser. Which is fine. Guys like Ritchie, Kerdilles and Noesen should be ready now for bottom 6 roles. Yes, the team needs another decent center. That's nothing to panic over either. I prefer that to plugs like Stewart to be honest.

mytduxfan*

We're in a position of dire need (wingers. We need several) there is a hint of leverage. Especially considering there are other defensemen out there that we know of. Potentially more we don't. Did anyone predict Larsson would be traded?

"dire need"... lol... come on. There are 2 top flight D-men available in Fowler and Shattenkirk and whole bunch of nothing after those two in FA. You can't use Larsson as a "D-man we didn't know about" because he was probably not available were it not for the stupid overpayment. I mean, I'm sure Ekblad isn't available unless you offer up Karlsson or Doughty. That's how bad that trade was.

You're panicking. Calm down. We'll be fine. No need to rush trade Fowler.

Theodore yes. Not sure about Montour. He might need protecting.

Montour is protected. He's only burnt 1 year of his ELC according to Capfriendly.

Why is this scary to you? Happens all the time. Look at PIT... Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl... all AHL guys for the passed couple seasons. It's possible as long as you spread them across lines with two core guys:

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Landeskog - Rakell - Noesen
Garbutt - Horcoff - Wagner

Lindholm - Manson
Despres - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieksa

Gibson - Enroth

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Montour is protected. He's only burnt 1 year of his ELC according to Capfriendly.

Yes, but he has those annyoing 14 games played a couple years ago in the AHL coming out of juniors before signing his ELC. I still haven't seen anyone shed light on this.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Yes, but he has those annyoing 14 games played a couple years ago in the AHL coming out of juniors before signing his ELC. I still haven't seen anyone shed light on this.

Pretty sure that was an Amateur Tryout (ATO) aka not a professional contract, so it doesn't count.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yea I think that's been the plan the whole time.

RC even mentioned that in his presser. Which is fine. Guys like Ritchie, Kerdilles and Noesen should be ready now for bottom 6 roles. Yes, the team needs another decent center. That's nothing to panic over either. I prefer that to plugs like Stewart to be honest.

What happens if anyone gets injured? More AHL plug ins?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Rangers offer a gently used Marc Staal or a heavily used Dan Girardi in return for whatever cap dump that isn't named Ericson, and Teemu Pulkkinen.

This is 90% a joke post

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
What happens if anyone gets injured? More AHL plug ins?

The same thing that happens every year when people get injured. We have more than 3 guys in our system. Besides we are assuming that no small moves will be made. I'd be pretty suprised if BM didn't add anyone for a depth role.

Today was pretty much the norm for us was it not? Who did we sign last year? Stewart?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Don't see the Red Wings moving Svechnikov, Mantha, AA, or Sheahan. Probably why the deal hasn't gotten done yet.

Of the forwards available for the Ducks the list probably includes: Tatar, Jurco, and Pulkkinen. Tatar, is obviously the best of that group. One of the best value contracts at least for another season.

mytduxfan*

Don't see the Red Wings moving Svechnikov, Mantha, AA, or Sheahan. Probably why the deal hasn't gotten done yet.

Of the forwards available for the Ducks the list probably includes: Tatar, Jurco, and Pulkkinen. Tatar, is obviously the best of that group. One of the best value contracts at least for another season.

Gotta say, Tatar is a nice piece, but I'd have no interest in Jurco or Pulk. Personally, I'd be looking for Tatar + AA. IMO, the deal needs to hurt DET a little for it to be fair. Giving up Fowler is going to sting for us.

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Nyquist
Helm - Larkin - Vanek
Abdelkador - Glendening - Sheahan
Miller - Vitale - Ott

It's still a great forward line-up and your D just got a whole lot better with the addition of Fowler. Win-win or Lose-lose depending on how you look at it.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I just don't see how a Tatar / Pulkinnen combo holds any attraction for GMBM given that both are under 6'. When was the last time the Ducks had a sub 6' winger in their top 6? When was the last time the Ducks even drafted a sub 6' winger in the first 3 rounds of any draft that GMBM oversaw?

why would he acquire 2 sub 6' wingers now??

Do you somehow believe that bigger sized players score more or something? I'm completely failing to see the correlation you are trying to make between size and quality of player.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Do you somehow believe that bigger sized players score more or something? I'm completely failing to see the correlation you are trying to make between size and quality of player.

I for one would very much like Tatar. I'm not a huuuuge fan(no pun intended), but his talent is hard to refute.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I for one would very much like Tatar. I'm not a huuuuge fan(no pun intended), but his talent is hard to refute.

He's by no means perfect but he brings it every night, good for 25-30 goals a season and is on one of the best contracts in the league for his production.

When you consider that you'd gain him PLUS good picks/prospects for a guy you might lose for nothing... Just seems to make a lot of sense.

Personally I'd just as soon keep Tatar but you have to give to get, and the wings need D and have a hundred billion forwards (Tatar being one of the better ones).

Seems like Tatar isn't the issue for fans of both sides, It's the "plus" that's holding things up.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The same thing that happens every year when people get injured. We have more than 3 guys in our system. Besides we are assuming that no small moves will be made. I'd be pretty suprised if BM didn't add anyone for a depth role.

Today was pretty much the norm for us was it not? Who did we sign last year? Stewart?

Our forward unit wasnt this depleted to the point where we were forced to rely on AHLers to plug in spots.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
He's by no means perfect but he brings it every night, good for 25-30 goals a season and is on one of the best contracts in the league for his production.

When you consider that you'd gain him PLUS good picks/prospects for a guy you might lose for nothing... Just seems to make a lot of sense.

Personally I'd just as soon keep Tatar but you have to give to get, and the wings need D and have a hundred billion forwards (Tatar being one of the better ones).

Seems like Tatar isn't the issue for fans of both sides, It's the "plus" that's holding things up.

Do you actually think Holland will make a trade tho?:laugh:

I'm not sure how to value guys like AA and Mantha. Both guys are young, talented but totally unproven. What's your take?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Our forward unit wasnt this depleted to the point where we were forced to rely on AHLers to plug in spots.

That's mostly because BM kept spending money on plugs like Stewart and Horcoff. I don't think they would be any more effective than guys like Kerdilles and Noesen at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->