Red Wings Sell Out Their Brand (New Presenting Sponsor)

Eaglepride*

In what way does it "cheapen it"? Do board ads "cheapen" your game experience? Do corporate arena names "cheapen" the arena experience? It's a logo that will appear around the arena and on tickets. It means absolutely nothing except to the moralist crowd and the usual "WAAAAH CORPORATIONS WAAAAH" folks.

My favorite soccer team is currently the only one in the EPL without a shirt sponsor and you know what? I'd trade the clean kit look for the money in a heartbeat. Sports is a business, pretending otherwise in 2011 is just silliness.

Hockey is for you and me not for ****ing industry if you don't understand that nor care, well then you are one of the guys companies are counting at. I don't mean that as an insult, its just the truth.

Sport is at first a sport something people love to attend, I hate the fact and it will not only cheapen my experience it will make it HARD cheering for my Wings, that we will now see the shameway logo everytime the winged wheel is presented somewhere.

In my mind its disgraceful, shameful for the clubs ideals/tradition and a big **** you from Wilson to all the Wings fans.

I am supporting a SPORTS CLUB, not a ****ing corporate brand.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There are one or two institutions that use it in Canada.

Its extremely controversial & hardcore obviously; not even fully understood by its practitioners in the drug & alcohol rehab sectors. The organization that started it was originally a registered Church, ran afoul of the IRS, the FBI & the Justice Department; beatings, disappearances, murders etc. That a company would employ even a single thread of so manipulative a doctrine on its' "dealers" is beyond primal. Taken to its nth', its just out & out deconstruction. Still, that bridge was crossed long ago with Amway in terms of its general acceptance within the mainstream. To rail on about it now paints us a shade heavy on the Don Quixote' side of the equation... the Red Wings dont need this kind of grief and nor does the league. But there ya go. :shakehead

crashman

I would be fine with something like this if it meant keeping my team. like if it was a choice between:

The Pittsburgh Penguins presented by Herbalife

and

the Kansas City Penguins

i'd take the presented by any day.

but unless i'm missing something, the Red Wings presented by Amway :sarcasm: aren't that strapped for cash? so this may qualify as selling out.

That's not the case at all. Even when the Red Wings have struggled to fill the seats they were still turning a profit. They've always been one of the most profitable franchises, this wasn't a necessary move to keep the team in Detroit.

This is just a move to make more money by a newly hired tool that works for Olympia Entertainment (the Ilitch family's company). I hope there's some fan backlash once the season starts and people really start to see the effects of this partnershi. I think the Amway name is going to be more prevalent surrounding the Red Wigns than most people are imagining right now.

As a life long Wings fan and outspoken person on the forum community, I couldn't care less.

I can't imagine ever finding myself rooting less for a team because their franchise partners with a controversial company. I don't know much about Amway, never really cared enough to learn anything about them, but this seems like a classic message board overreaction that happens whenever something happens that people don't like.

I don't like alcohol and I'm sure alcohol has done more damage to more families than Amway has, but I don't really think anyone cares that every team is sponsored by a business that supplies a beverage that ruins families and kills people every year. I realize the comparison will be shrugged off and thought of as irrational but whatever.

But sold out their brand? Hardly. If it makes you root less for the team, I feel sorry for you.

Some of us have come to expect the Detroit Red Wings to almost always take the moral high ground. This is a sign of moral weakness that I can't help but be turned off by it. If the team starts to decline along with them "selling their soul" to a pyramid scheme company, then it makes it a lot easier for me to lose interest in the team. I don't care if that doesn't make me a "true fan", I always be a hockey fan, I just might not be emotionally invested in a professional team anymore. Don't feel sorry for me though, I'll be okay. ;)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Beginning in October, Amway will provide every “Season Ticket Holder of the Game†with a gift pack of Nutrilite and Artistry products, and every member of the Detroit Red Wings Kids Club with a Nutrilite children’s vitamin package.

oooh, lucky STHs!

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
That's my opinion-- on the selling out of the brand.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=587621&navid=DL|DET|home

This is supposed to add 'value'?

I can't believe something owned by Ilitch would stoop this low.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/09/amway_describes_tangible_intan.html

I think this is a first for an NHL team
. As stated in the MLive article, it's more common in Europe. I guess jerseys/sweaters are next.

Nope, tons of teams have it. Maybe pay closer attention to what some of the marketing pieces teams are rolling out. Most teams have a (couple) prominent sponsors. Last year the Canucks had 4 sponsors for their 40th Anniversary Season. What it boils down to is that they cover all the great things the Canucks rolled out and all the promotional material and they get their little logo at the bottom, while it excludes other brands from attaching/attacking.

edit: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/microhome.htm?location=/40thAnniversary

the micro-site for the 40th anniversary.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Hockey is for you and me not for ****ing industry if you don't understand that nor care, well then you are one of the guys companies are counting at. I don't mean that as an insult, its just the truth.

Sport is at first a sport something people love to attend, I hate the fact and it will not only cheapen my experience it will make it HARD cheering for my Wings, that we will now see the shameway logo everytime the winged wheel is presented somewhere.

In my mind its disgraceful, shameful for the clubs ideals/tradition and a big **** you from Wilson to all the Wings fans.

I am supporting a SPORTS CLUB, not a ****ing corporate brand.

when you agreed to pay money to go to the games and pay for things because they bore that clubs brand, it became a corporation.

if a little corporate logo on tickets changes how you feel about the team then, well, I don't even know what to say.

crashman

I thought the NHL owned all team logos.

They didn't modify the actual logo, but just about anywhere the Wings logo is displayed in the arena and on television, it's going to have "presented by Amway" to the lower right of the winged wheel.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
They didn't modify the actual logo, but just about anywhere the Wings logo is displayed in the arena and on television, it's going to have "presented by Amway" to the lower right of the winged wheel.

That's one instance that you've seen it on the front of the website entrance. I haven't spotted it on the actual webpage even, just the splash screen. Why don't you guys actually wait and see what happens instead of freaking out before. It's not guaranteed to be seen every time you see a Wings logo right below it.

crashman

That's one instance that you've seen it on the front of the website entrance. I haven't spotted it on the actual webpage even, just the splash screen. Why don't you guys actually wait and see what happens instead of freaking out before. It's not guaranteed to be seen every time you see a Wings logo right below it.

check out the Red Wings official facebook page, it's gonna be everywhere. We saw the same type of partner**** with the Detroit Pistons and a company here in Michigan called Rock Financial, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a very similar partnership.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think the Amway name is going to be more prevalent surrounding the Red Wigns than most people are imagining right now.

No, it will be much less than what you're imagining. You know that these deals already exist in other sports, right? You may remember the big controversy over the "Chicago Bears presented by Bank One" in 2003... everyone did this same "SLIPPERY SLOPE" and "IT'S BIGGER THAN PEOPLE EXPECT" routine, only to discover that all it meant was a sponsor on tickets, seeing a corporate logo next to the Bears logo on things like stadium walls and having a sponsor for things like draft parties.

I think you think this means there will be like an Amway logo on Wings hats or something. It doesn't.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

how is that in any way different than, say, RED WINGS HOCKEY ON FOX SPORTS DETROIT IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ARBYS?

how often do you see the logo outside of jerseys and other merchandise?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
check out the Red Wings official facebook page, it's gonna be everywhere. We saw the same type of partner**** with the Detroit Pistons and a company here in Michigan called Rock Financial, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a very similar partnership.

Ah, great example! Let's play a game... the Pistons are currently presented by PNC Bank. Let's count how many times the PNC logo shows up on the Pistons website:

http://www.nba.com/pistons/

crashman

No, it will be much less than what you're imagining. You know that these deals already exist in other sports, right? You may remember the big controversy over the "Chicago Bears presented by Bank One" in 2003... everyone did this same "SLIPPERY SLOPE" and "IT'S BIGGER THAN PEOPLE EXPECT" routine, only to discover that all it meant was a sponsor on tickets, seeing a corporate logo next to the Bears logo on things like stadium walls and having a sponsor for things like draft parties.

Well, that's you're speculation vs. mine...so we'll see.

I think you think this means there will be like an Amway logo on Wings hats or something. It doesn't.

No, I don't. I know they can't do that. But if it's any free promotional item being handed out (posters, towels, hats, t-shirts, etc.) at the games it certainly will have the Amway logo, not that that really concerns me much since it's all garbage anyway.

Ah, great example! Let's play a game... the Pistons are currently presented by PNC Bank. Let's count how many times the PNC logo shows up on the Pistons website:

http://www.nba.com/pistons/

No thanks. I think you're really missing part of the point because you don't seem to have any problem whatsoever with the way Amway does business. If you're not concerned about this then why are you here, to tell us how stupid we are for having an issue with it?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
No thanks. I think you're really missing part of the point because you don't seem to have any problem whatsoever with the way Amway does business. If you're not concerned about this then why are you here, to tell us how stupid we are for having an issue with it?

How is what Amway does any different than any other franchise oriented business? Amway's products are all **** and therefore you won't make any money on your franchise, but as a business it's no different than Avon or McDonalds.

you need to decide if this is about Amway or about corporate sponsorship... you keep moving the goalposts.

crashman

How is what Amway does any different than any other franchise oriented business? Amway's products are all **** and therefore you won't make any money on your franchise, but as a business it's no different than Avon or McDonalds.

you need to decide if this is about Amway or about corporate sponsorship... you keep moving the goalposts.

Do a google search if you're interested in learning about how Amway operates and how they make their money.

It's about both Amway and corporate sponsorship in general for me, but mostly about Amway. This is truly a killer combo.

How am I "moving the goalposts"?

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta

It's marketing tactics resemble the large group therapies used by the Human Potential movement of the 50s through to the 70s, a movement notorious for spawning cults that used this tactic, including Synanon, Jonestown, Centre for Feeling Therapy.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Why don't you guys actually wait and see what happens instead of freaking out before. It's not guaranteed to be seen every time you see a Wings logo right below it.

Well of course you wouldnt see it there yet, their just getting started. Just take a look at the logo Wingman posted........ now, you dont see anything wrong with that?. In any form?. IMO it cheapens the logo & the trademark. If it was Goodyear, Ford or Budweiser, something complimentary, respected & respectable, secure, no problem. Perhaps someone from Orlando (Amway Center) or San Jose (Earthquake have Amway as their jersey sponsors) could weigh in with an opinion if theyve ever born witness to or been the recipient of their over zealous proselytizing of the Religion of Amway at a Magic or soccer game.....

I dont have a problem with the concept of "Presentation Rights", just that particular sponsor. It may be hypocritical as I dont have a problem with liquor, beer or even tobacco sponsorships, all perfectly legal substances, whereas Amway I find repugnant, odious, morally offensive & insulting to ones intelligence. I dont want to see the name anywhere. Period. In 1997, they actually tried to re-brand themselves & changed their name to Quixtar in the hopes that people would forget about their unsavory reputation & past. Amongst other things; accusing the Chairman of Proctor & Gamble of being "the leader of the Church of Satan" & the old P&G logo as being a Pentagram; fined 10's of million here in Canada for Criminal Conspiracy to avoid paying taxes; ripping off copyrighted music from RIIA for use in their promotional videos etc etc etc.....

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Do a google search if you're interested in learning about how Amway operates and how they make their money.

I know about their business practices. Did you know that numerous federal governments in multiple countries have dismissed claims that Amway is a pyramid scheme or otherwise a criminal organization?

It's marketing tactics resemble the large group therapies used by the Human Potential movement of the 50s through to the 70s, a movement notorious for spawning cults that used this tactic, including Synanon, Jonestown, Centre for Feeling Therapy.

That's a massive, massive, massive, massive stretch. You're lumping the entire self-help movement (which I think we can all agree is generally crap) with Synanon and Jonestown here.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Amongst other things; accusing the Chairman of Proctor & Gamble of being "the leader of the Church of Satan" & the old P&G logo as being a Pentagram; fined 10's of million here in Canada for Criminal Conspiracy to avoid paying taxes; ripping off copyrighted music from RIIA for use in their promotional videos etc etc etc.....

you took all of those from their criticism section on Wikipedia, verbatim and in order.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a massive, massive, massive, massive stretch. You're lumping the entire self-help movement (which I think we can all agree is generally crap) with Synanon and Jonestown here.

Self-help movement is not exactly the same as the Human Potential movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->