Red Wings recall Hicketts

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Nice to see him get the call, he works hard, would have preferred Hronek but the Griffs need him for their playoff push. Maybe this gives Hickstts a confidence boost.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Good to see him up plays his butt off every night. Probably be our number 1 d-man tm

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Good to see him up plays his butt off every night. Probably be our number 1 d-man tm
He's struggled in GR, but I'm not going to doubt him. He has the work ethic and the tools to be successful as a pro. Reminds me of Bert.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
He's struggled in GR, but I'm not going to doubt him. He has the work ethic and the tools to be successful as a pro. Reminds me of Bert.
He’s gonna be a perfect #5 imo and a great character guy. As far as Bert he just keeps getting better and better one of my favorites already. Has all the tools of a great grinder but also enough enough upside to be a producer. Plus very smart. I can see why he’s so good in the playoffs every year

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He’s gonna be a perfect #5 imo and a great character guy. As far as Bert he just keeps getting better and better one of my favorites already. Has all the tools of a great grinder but also enough enough upside to be a producer. Plus very smart. I can see why he’s so good in the playoffs every year
Yup, Bert's gonna be our Gallagher. Grinds and produces.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm curious to see who sits for Hicketts. Is Kronwall told to start his summer conditioning early? Or is someone actually injured?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Glad it wasn't Hronek or Cholo. No need to set them up for failure on this dumpster fire.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice to see him get the call, he works hard, would have preferred Hronek but the Griffs need him for their playoff push. Maybe this gives Hickstts a confidence boost.

It's kind of interesting, how they will recall the worse defenceman for an NHL TANK, and keep the better defenceman down in AHL for a playoff push. o_O

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Hicketts has been great playing with the Wings this year (including the preseason). I don't know why he is having a down year in GR although no PP time on the point (he has been used as a net-front on the PP on occasion though) and having his ice-time compromised by them utilizing 7 d-men most games are probably factors.
It's curious that Hicketts can't get a sniff on the point on the PP with the Griffs (he hasn't seen action there after the first dozen games or so when Hronek became a regular on the PP although he has been utilized as a net front on the PP a few times in a few recent games) yet got some action there with the Wings (and even produced).

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Prob Xo and witkowski

I had a feeling this is what would happen but, regardless of what happened last night, it was still wrong. Kronwall should have been sat and we should have just been playing the snot out of XO, Jensen, and Hicketts. Of course, Hronek should probably be up right now, too. C'est la vie.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It's kind of interesting, how they will recall the worse defenceman for an NHL TANK, and keep the better defenceman down in AHL for a playoff push. o_O

Good example of why the "+/- stat is useless.

Hicketts role last season in GR was a checker/offensive provider. When Nathan Paetsch was not resigned by the Griffins, Hicketts role in GR for this season changed to a checker/defensive shutdown d-man with Hroenk and Saarijarvi coming into the roster. Thus you do not see many points produced by Hicketts this season and his +/- is near the bottom mainly because he goes up against the top AHL forwards and our defense is not as strong as it was last season. Losing 2-way forwards like Nosek, Criscuolo, and Callahan from our roster this season has created a huge hole defensively, who helped out big time on defense last season and put up good offensive numbers as well. Hicketts have been playing on the 2nd PP unit either as a net-front guy, or as a wing and very little on the point. You have Hronek manning the 1st PP unit on the point with 4 forwards, and on the 2nd PP unit, you have Russo and Saarijarvi (if he is in the lineup) on the points. Plus Hicketts plays on the PK unit as well (Hronek does not). So Hicketts role this season is more of a defensive d-man (can be used is all types of situations) which the Wings are looking for in a d-man.

Hronek is basically the European version on Mike Green. Great quarterbacking the 1st PP unit and can put up offensive numbers on the back line. Defensively, he struggles big time and teams in the AHL know that. Have stated that numerous times on previous posts. You will never see him play on any of the PK units here. That is what he is not known for. Hronek plays usually on the top scoring line and that line has been pretty consistent for the past 2 months, thus the high +/- numbers. This is Hronek's 1st pro season and he needs more time here before jumping into the NHL, especially if Mike Green signs with the Wings next season.

Reactions: Oddbob

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Good example of why the "+/- stat is useless.

Hicketts role last season in GR was a checker/offensive provider. When Nathan Paetsch was not resigned by the Griffins, Hicketts role in GR for this season changed to a checker/defensive shutdown d-man with Hroenk and Saarijarvi coming into the roster. Thus you do not see many points produced by Hicketts this season and his +/- is near the bottom mainly because he goes up against the top AHL forwards and our defense is not as strong as it was last season. Losing 2-way forwards like Nosek, Criscuolo, and Callahan from our roster this season has created a huge hole defensively, who helped out big time on defense last season and put up good offensive numbers as well. Hicketts have been playing on the 2nd PP unit either as a net-front guy, or as a wing and very little on the point. You have Hronek manning the 1st PP unit on the point with 4 forwards, and on the 2nd PP unit, you have Russo and Saarijarvi (if he is in the lineup) on the points. Plus Hicketts plays on the PK unit as well (Hronek does not). So Hicketts role this season is more of a defensive d-man (can be used is all types of situations) which the Wings are looking for in a d-man.

Hronek is basically the European version on Mike Green. Great quarterbacking the 1st PP unit and can put up offensive numbers on the back line. Defensively, he struggles big time and teams in the AHL know that. Have stated that numerous times on previous posts. You will never see him play on any of the PK units here. That is what he is not known for. Hronek plays usually on the top scoring line and that line has been pretty consistent for the past 2 months, thus the high +/- numbers. This is Hronek's 1st pro season and he needs more time here before jumping into the NHL, especially if Mike Green signs with the Wings next season.

Renouf didn't play in this game but I have seen Hronner employed in SH situations in others as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.46.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.46.12 PM.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad