• W - Evgeny Svechnikov

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • RD - Antti Tuomisto

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the injuries don't help and I still have him a tier below Veleno but I think McIsaac proved enough last year to have him a tier above the rest of these guys at this point

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Silly question, but why is Smith on these lists? He might not even be top 15, let alone Top 20.
You really think we have 15-20 prospects (not including guys like Rasmussen, Zadina, and Cholowski) that will be good enough to sniff 10 NHL games?

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Give me McIsaac. I was impressed by what I saw of him last year and I hope he has a deep run with Moncton this year. Add Johansson, who has been up in the SHL almost all year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You really think we have 15-20 prospects (not including guys like Rasmussen, Zadina, and Cholowski) that will be good enough to sniff 10 NHL games?

10 NHL games where they play less than 10 minutes a night and put up 1 assist?

I don't see why not,whether or not the team chooses to give them the chance to do so is another story but that has more to do with injury timing etc than it does with how good they are as prospects

Reactions: Konnan511

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
10 NHL games where they play less than 10 minutes a night and put up 1 assist?

I don't see why not,whether or not the team chooses to give them the chance to do so is another story but that has more to do with injury timing etc than it does with how good they are as prospects
Find me a team that produced 20 players that played in over 10 NHL games in a span of 4 drafts.
Then do it again after you subtract out their 4 best players from that span.

Smith could have had 0 points and been -30 in those 10 games and he'd still be significantly better that the #15-20 guys on this list

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Find me a team that produced 20 players that played in over 10 NHL games in a span of 4 drafts.
Then do it again after you subtract out their 4 best players from that span.

Smith could have had 0 points and been -30 in those 10 games and he'd still be significantly better that the #15-20 guys on this list

4 drafts? talk about moving the goalposts :laugh:

Svechnikov is on this list and he's from 5 drafts ago,most people would consider Turgeon a prospect and he's from 6 drafts ago

anyways way to miss my entire point

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
No point voting as it's extremely unlikely anyone of the remaining "prospects" will make any sort of significant impact on our success going forward.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
4 drafts? talk about moving the goalposts :laugh:

Svechnikov is on this list and he's from 5 drafts ago,most people would consider Turgeon a prospect and he's from 6 drafts ago

anyways way to miss my entire point
4 drafts seems like a pretty standard window and pretty much what we are looking at for this vote. Svechnikov seems like a pretty unique situation to call him a viable prospect still (and really, is he a better prospect than Smith at this point?)

But that's missing my point. Call it 5 or 6 drafts plus UDFA signings. I don't think you'll find many teams with 19-24 prospects that have produced as much as Smith has in the AHL and NHL to this point, assuming his career just suddenly ended. Saying he doesn't belong on the list is absurd

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This list. Woof.
Svech by default. I will be very surprised if the rest of the guys in the list combine for 75 total NHL games between all of them.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This list. Woof.
Svech by default. I will be very surprised if the rest of the guys in the list combine for 75 total NHL games between all of them.

barring further injury struggles i'd be surprised if McIsaac didn't see 75 NHL games himself

time will tell what form that takes(guy that washes out of the league eventually,career bottom pairing guy,something more than a bottom pairing guy etc) but guys like Ouellet/Marchenko ended up playing 100+ NHL games and I think he's at least that callibre of prospect,hell even Sproul with all his weaknesses that never got fixed ended up playing 44 games in the NHL

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
barring further injury struggles i'd be surprised if McIsaac didn't see 75 NHL games himself

time will tell what form that takes(guy that washes out of the league eventually,career bottom pairing guy,something more than a bottom pairing guy etc) but guys like Ouellet/Marchenko ended up playing 100+ NHL games and I think he's at least that callibre of prospect,hell even Sproul with all his weaknesses that never got fixed ended up playing 44 games in the NHL
This ^. Second round picks have a decent chance of at least seeing time in the NHL, statistically. It's players that are drafted in subsequent rounds that typically have a ton of developing to do to make the cut and most simply wash out of team's systems after a few years.

If McIsaac can stay healthy, I'm confident he can be a bottom pair defender.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
This list. Woof.
No love for McIsaac or Berggren? Both have had injury trouble, but they're back on track now and have talent. I think they'll play in the NHL eventually.

Reactions: Lil Bert

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No love for McIsaac or Berggren? Both have had injury trouble, but they're back on track now and have talent. I think they'll play in the NHL eventually.
I honestly haven't seen or heard much about either one of them since draft day. I have high hopes, but also low and realistic expectations. Our drafting/prospect pool hasn't been all that great the past 8 years

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I honestly haven't seen or heard much about either one of them since draft day. I have high hopes, but also low and realistic expectations. Our drafting/prospect pool hasn't been all that great the past 8 years

It's good to have realistic expectations, but I think Berggren and McIsaac are head and shoulders better prospects than Svech at this point. So I'd recommend you watch them some before you condemn the whole pool. 1 blue chipper (Seider) and 3 prospects with good NHL upside (Veleno, Berggren, McIsaac) without including 2 of our last 3 1sts (Zadina and Rasmussen) is honestly a totally respectable pool IMO. Then we have a ton of prospects with upside like Tuomisto and Johansson whom are just too early to project but could be something.

Svech is pretty far down my list at this point because of the injuries. I think he's gotten passed by quite a few of our forward prospects on the team depth chart, including guys like Givani Smith even though Svech should have more skill; at this point I don't think he'll ever get consistent time as a member of the Red Wings.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's good to have realistic expectations, but I think Berggren and McIsaac are head and shoulders better prospects than Svech at this point. So I'd recommend you watch them some before you condemn the whole pool. 1 blue chipper (Seider) and 3 prospects with good NHL upside (Veleno, Berggren, McIsaac) without including 2 of our last 3 1sts (Zadina and Rasmussen) is honestly a totally respectable pool IMO. Then we have a ton of prospects with upside like Tuomisto and Johansson whom are just too early to project but could be something.

Svech is pretty far down my list at this point because of the injuries. I think he's gotten passed by quite a few of our forward prospects on the team depth chart, including guys like Givani Smith even though Svech should have more skill; at this point I don't think he'll ever get consistent time as a member of the Red Wings.

doesn't help for enthusiasm in a list like this that the Wings completely avoided the CHL in the most recent draft

not to say that was necessarily the wrong move but it's just a lot harder as fans to get hyped up for some prospect if they're in a euro junior league or the BCHL or whatever

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
doesn't help for enthusiasm in a list like this that the Wings completely avoided the CHL in the most recent draft

not to say that was necessarily the wrong move but it's just a lot harder as fans to get hyped up for some prospect if they're in a euro junior league or the BCHL or whatever
ThatsT totally fair. The other thing that hurts our hype is that a lot of our recent higher picks have had injury trouble. Hard to get hyped for prospects that aren't playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad