Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Hes projected as a late first or second rounder right now so I wouldnt count on it

No way he goes top 30, he is really skilled so a second rounder I could see, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he falls out of the top 90 come draft day.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
"The first time I saw him play I was in Blainville-Boisbriand to watch Xavier Ouellette play," Martin said. "I don't see all of these prospects play as much as the regular amateur scouts do and getting to watch our unsigned prospects. So I was in town watching Xavier play and Val-d'Or was in town to play Blainville.

Anthony Mantha's 50-goal and 89-point season in 2012-13 obviously caught the eye of many NHL scouts. (Photo: QMJHL Archives)
"[Mantha] was an underage then and I remember thinking he's obviously a big 6-4 athletic kid who skates really well and has good puck skills. Val-d'Or didn't have a great team then and Blainville had a very strong team. But he found a way to create opportunities by himself and make his teammates better. He had a really good game the first time I saw him and obviously he's a guy that ended up scoring 50 goals the next year, his draft year, but he was always somebody who showed great offensive skill."

"I remember before the draft, Ken [Holland] told me, 'We'll get you,' and they did," Mantha said recently. "I thought before Detroit drafted maybe another team may get me, but when it was Detroit I was happy because that meant a lot to me for them to have that confidence. It makes me want to make them proud they chose me even more. They showed they believe in me and I'm trying my hardest now to improve and do what I need to do to make the next level.

"Camp really showed me that I'm not ready yet," Mantha said. "That was a different level of hockey, obviously, and it takes a lot to be a pro. I learned so much, though. I know that I need to be better one-on-one, to keep working hard on the little things on and off the ice to really be ready for that next level. I'm doing that now. I've gotten help from my teammates on the ice like my linemate Louick Marcotte and of course my coach Mario Durocher. Coach has really helped me focus on the little things and just playing a more complete game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692157&cmpid=nhl-twt

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Watched Bertuzzi's game. He didn't show much but the game was basically over by the half way mark... He really needs to work on his skating though, his foot speed needs to get a lot better if he want's to make the NHL. He looked quite big, drove to the net and got a lot of PK time. A couple of good plays in the o-zone too, but overall not very visible had I not been looking for him every shift.

Brandel*

Was just about to post this, I thought it was interesting how into him we were prior to the draft

this part is interesting:

"I remember before the draft, Ken [Holland] told me, 'We'll get you,' and they did," Mantha said recently. "I thought before Detroit drafted maybe another team may get me, but when it was Detroit I was happy because that meant a lot to me for them to have that confidence. It makes me want to make them proud they chose me even more. They showed they believe in me and I'm trying my hardest now to improve and do what I need to do to make the next level."

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
AA 1+1 and 2nd star in last night's 2-3 loss. Wheaton was taken off on a stretcher but returned home with the team.

Aubry and Jensen sent to Toledo. Wonder if that means Jensen is already ok to play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Haven't seen this posted yet, pretty bad hit. Wheaton has been injured a few times already in his career, let's hope he makes a quick recovery.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...-wheaton-stretchered-off-scary-162011001.html

The clowns chanting USA should be deported/exported somewhere else. I hate when that chant pops up anywhere but at National team games or something incredibly American. But in terms of sporting events, it should really only happen at National team games or after a very traumatic (heard it post 9/11, also in Boston after the bombings) incidents in order for it to make sense.

I hope he is okay, really should not have been trying to reverse there, kind of similar to the Kronwall hit in that regard. Still is the hitters fault though and I would expect a suspension incoming on the kid on Seattle.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha just won two power moves in a row, one to get the puck out then he just carried a Russian defender on his back all the way to the net. Second game in a row he has done that Nichushkin esk move at this level, just out skates the opponent then uses his body to make them completely helpless.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Is it safe to assume that Wings fans are overjoyed with the start he has had? Saw him last night for the first time on the tv and he looked pretty impressive. Big with some wheels and a skillset. Sounds to me like he should've gone earlier than 20th.

It's crazy we've had some of the worst luck when it comes to drafting guys out of the CHL. And then bam, we get Petr Mrazek, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Jake Paterson and Anthony Mantha.

Prior to that you probably have to go back to Darren Helm drafted out of the WHL for our last guy we drafted and developed into a core player.

It's great to finally have drafts that pull elite talent from the CHL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's funny how people talk about Mantha. A lot of the criticisms are like, "Well, he didn't play that well. He needs to show more."

but then he had multiple points in whatever viewing they're talking about and didn't get scored on. It's like they're complaining that he needs to score 5 points or something. They don't recognize quiet effectiveness.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's funny how people talk about Mantha. A lot of the criticisms are like, "Well, he didn't play that well. He needs to show more."

but then he had multiple points in whatever viewing they're talking about and didn't get scored on. It's like they're complaining that he needs to score 5 points or something. They don't recognize quiet effectiveness.

Or he needs to act like a tool like Nail Yakupov to show "passion". :shakehead

Christien

May 1, 2010
Thing about Mantha too is the games i've seen him play in this SSS he's backchecked very well and produced, yet people still talk about how he was just "okay".

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Thing about Mantha too is the games i've seen him play in this SSS he's backchecked very well and produced, yet people still talk about how he was just "okay".

No one has really said just OK, especially the first game. There are a select few posters who are hoping their prospects make the top line over him who are criticizing but the majority think hes a beast.

I also dont think he'll ever be a big, tough hitter but he has a take no **** attitude. If someone gets in his face hes giving them a shot to the jaw or roughing them up a bit.

Christien

May 1, 2010
No one has really said just OK, especially the first game. There are a select few posters who are hoping their prospects make the top line over him who are criticizing but the majority think hes a beast.

I also dont think he'll ever be a big, tough hitter but he has a take no **** attitude. If someone gets in his face hes giving them a shot to the jaw or roughing them up a bit.
Oh? I remember somebody saying something along those lines in the SSS thread...

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH

Why would you want someone so good on offense out there trying to hit like a 3rd and 4th liner? Why ruin your body? If you're a top 2 line guy you have a different role and he seems to fill it well, the ability to be rough sure is a bonus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad