Red Wings Pre-Season Jerseys

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hi All,

Just wondering, is there a reason that the Red Wings always seem to have different lettering on their pre-season jerseys (the last names) than they do for their regular season games?

This might just be my OCD kicking in, but I've noticed this the last few seasons.

Is there a reason for this?

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I think it's just more work to sew on a bunch of individually stitched letters, so they just use a nameplate.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
In the regular season the equipment team creates the sewn on custom lettering to fit each player's last name. In the pre-season, with so many players wearing the uni, they just use the straight standard generic nameplate. It's just something they do every year and they've done it as long as I remember.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
In the regular season the equipment team creates the sewn on custom lettering to fit each player's last name. In the pre-season, with so many players wearing the uni, they just use the straight standard generic nameplate. It's just something they do every year and they've done it as long as I remember.

I hope this is the case. I was worried they had changed the font.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I hope this is the case. I was worried they had changed the font.

It is the case.

If you look closely at the Wings regular season jerseys, you'll notice the slight arch causes each letter to be individualized to the player based upon the placement. Obviously the arch angle in Zetterberg (10 letters) is going to be different than Helm (4). This is also how you can spot knockoff jerseys a mile away with the Wings. Even if everything else looks perfect, you won't find the attention to the lettering.

So for example, here's a Chinese knockoff you can buy for $40.

Sale-Men-s-5-font-b-Nicklas-b-font-font-b-Lidstrom-b-font-font-b.jpg

And a legitimate jersey.

06-07Lidstrom_Road.jpg

Big differences in the L and M in particularly, as they are most influenced by the arch present. You'll note how said L and M would not work for other players names due to the placement being different. Basically, it's a nightmare for knockoff jersey makers. :laugh:

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
This question I think comes up every year, not picking you OP, it's a big joke that we run every year on letsgowings.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad