Red Wings One Hit Wonders

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That torn rotator cuff probably didn't help.

Was took 4 months to recover from the surgery following the playoffs.

It sure didn't, it also made his contract negotiations more difficult. In my opinion while he maintained being a very good player I never felt he got back to the same level he was pre-shoulder injury.

No shame in that, I think too often people don't account for that when looking at these guys, like oh that is nothing the team said 6 months so we should be good. There is a gruesome reality that some of these guys are never the same and even if they still play at a high level they are robbed of certain parts of their game. There are a lot of younger (well not even just younger anymore) but Wings fans that really only know 90s Yzerman, and he was an all-time great. But the Stevie Wonder years guy of the 80's before the knee and then back, he was on a different level than most here know him as. The difference might be slight, but it is still there.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It sure didn't, it also made his contract negotiations more difficult. In my opinion while he maintained being a very good player I never felt he got back to the same level he was pre-shoulder injury.

No shame in that, I think too often people don't account for that when looking at these guys, like oh that is nothing the team said 6 months so we should be good. There is a gruesome reality that some of these guys are never the same and even if they still play at a high level they are robbed of certain parts of their game. There are a lot of younger (well not even just younger anymore) but Wings fans that really only know 90s Yzerman, and he was an all-time great. But the Stevie Wonder years guy of the 80's before the knee and then back, he was on a different level than most here know him as. The difference might be slight, but it is still there.
It's definitely more than slight. And that's my biggest issue with how he's ranked in the hoh forum. So many other players get extra credit for injuries and what ifs but not Yzerman. It's overlooked by the arrival of Bowman and the narrative that Yzerman sacrificed his peak offensive for defense. While it's true he did alter his game to be more aggressive defensively his the bigger factor in his offensive drop off were the injuries. Younger people also forget or just don't know how much more difficult it was to come back from a major knee injury back then. The medical abilities are so much more advanced now it skews what older players went through. If it weren't for injuries and stoppages Yzerman would have been close to 800 goals and 2000 points but nobody ever talks about that.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
It's definitely more than slight. And that's my biggest issue with how he's ranked in the hoh forum. So many other players get extra credit for injuries and what ifs but not Yzerman. It's overlooked by the arrival of Bowman and the narrative that Yzerman sacrificed his peak offensive for defense. While it's true he did alter his game to be more aggressive defensively his the bigger factor in his offensive drop off were the injuries. Younger people also forget or just don't know how much more difficult it was to come back from a major knee injury back then. The medical abilities are so much more advanced now it skews what older players went through. If it weren't for injuries and stoppages Yzerman would have been close to 800 goals and 2000 points but nobody ever talks about that.
Cause without taking hypotheticals into account, Yzerman is still top 10 in goals, assists, and points on a 20+ year career.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is Brunner being mentioned. When was he a hit for the Wings??? Doesn't hit mean they had a really good season once? Brunner had 26 pts in 44 GP for us which is barely average. Even Jason Williams I wouldn't exactly call 58 pts being a hit, just really good for an less than average player.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'll say Kevin Hodson in 97-98 when he went 9-3-3 as a back up. That was a great year for him considering he went 17-18-10 in his NHL career.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Ville Leino was a one hit wonder, but the hit was with Philly not us. Athanasiou is the obvious guy I guess.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My first thoughts were ysebaert and garpenlov but neither are actually good answers.
Ysebaert often scored from ~60ft out, just inside the zone charging down the wing & blistering a slapper on 1990/1 Nintendo lol.

Steve Chiasson RIP. Feds, The Captain, Lidstrom, Racine were on that team.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Wendell Clark? Bill Randford? Derian Hatcher was probably one of my favorites was so happy to get him.
Bob Essensa mad me sick, I was so made we got rid of Drake to get him, Carlo Colaiacovo was a good one, and Ulf Samuelsson was interesting, but that didn't last.
And seriously, Marc Lamothe when I got to see him play was pretty good, wish I could have gotten to see him more.

And um... it was a looong night and early morning for me, I screwed up heh sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->