Red Wings One Hit Wonders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome to Last Word on Hockey’s One Hit Wonder series. Each day, we will take a look at a new team’s three biggest one-hit wonders. These are players that had one great season or playoff run but never did anything like that again. Join us every day for a new team! Today we take a look at the Detroit Red Wings One Hit Wonders.

Detroit Red Wings One Hit Wonders

John Ogrodnick

Detroit drafted John Ogrodnick in the fourth round of the 1979 draft. Back then, players were drafted when they were 20, so Ogrodnick jumped to professional hockey the following season. He showed promise, scoring eight goals and 32 points in 41 games with the Red Wings that season. Between the 1980-81 season and the 1983-84 season, Ogrodnick was one of Detroit’s best players during what was known as the ‘Dead Wings’ era. Detroit’s best season during those years was a 31 win season in 1983-84. During those four seasons, Ogrodnick scored 146 goals and 287 points. Ogrodnick was a natural goal scorer who was looking to shoot first and pass second.

One Hit Season

In the 1984-85 season, Ogrodnick was on the Red Wing’s top line with 19-year-old star centre Steve Yzerman and skilled right-winger Ron Duguay. The trio was fantastic and Ogrodnick benefited greatly from hit scoring a career-high 55 goals, 50 assists and 105 points, to lead the Red Wings in scoring by 16 points. He was named to the NHL’s first All-Star team that season along with forwards Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri. He tied Michel Goulet for fourth in goals that season and finished seventh in the league in points.

The Article Continues here
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/30/detroit-red-wings-one-hit-wonders/

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think its unfair to call Sheppard, who was 0.8 ppg and near .5gpg on his career a one hit wonder. He wasn't Ceechoo who scored 56 goals but never really did anything else in his career. Sheppard's average season was 65 points and 36 goals.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Modano
Alfredsson
Weiss
Zidlicky
Legwand
Cole

That entire era is a large blur in my memory. I remember the good teams. I remember the awful teams of the last several seasons. That particular era, however, I forget. I have almost no memory of these players actually doing something for Detroit. And yes, I realize Alfredsson led them in scoring his one season. I also realize the team made the playoffs during most of those years. It's still a blur. Like they were in limbo.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ogrodnick wasn't a one-hit wonder.

Jason Williams was a one-hit wonder: 80 GP, 21G, 37A, 58P in 2005-06.
Took that stupid penalty in Yzerman's final game. From memory, the Wings were up two goals in the 3rd period when that happened.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Seems more like a career year thing than a one hit wonder thing. Might as well throw Probert’s 88 season in. Career year in points, +/- and pims. Lead the team in scoring for our deep playoff run without the Stevie.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Modano
Alfredsson
Weiss
Zidlicky
Legwand
Cole

That entire era is a large blur in my memory. I remember the good teams. I remember the awful teams of the last several seasons. That particular era, however, I forget. I have almost no memory of these players actually doing something for Detroit. And yes, I realize Alfredsson led them in scoring his one season. I also realize the team made the playoffs during most of those years. It's still a blur. Like they were in limbo.
Yeah, I feel the same way.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Jason Williams and Damien Brunner are the first two players that come to mind when I think one hit wonder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad