GDT: Red Wings @ Maple Leafs - 7:30 PM ET (preseason game 7)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah they scored, if not for an amazing pass from Cholowski. The rest of the power play was horrible.

That is a good read by Nyquist and Cholowski. The Leafs were expecting the drop play or a dump. They changed it up on them and Rielly was caught flat footed and not backing up quick enough. My guess is the plan was to turn and play the dump but they didn't gap up correct, Cholowski picked out the right pass and down a man you lost the outside winger help you generally have and Nyquist went in untouched. But that is a PP play, it is a controlled entry and a read by both Nyquist and Cholowski to take advantage of space.

Again doing this style entry every once in a while gets other teams D farther back and makes the zone entry better. One of the hallmarks for me of the heavyweight PP teams is they take advantage of you multiple ways. They score on the rush, below the goal, off the point and so on... It makes teams have to play passively, they don't see what is coming. I hope we can add the rush element to our attack. We have great rush players, but we sometimes struggle to set the zone. Having teams fear a controlled rush would back them off and allow us more easy zone time. It is a win to have a multiple attack look on the PP and that play to me was not an accident.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I mean, why not?

It's preseason. Perfect chance to see what they can do. And supposedly a couple of them are supposed to be good at it.
I agree actually.

I just wasn't sure if the post was about Kronwall having no business being on the power play or more that the kids should be out there because it's pre-season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree actually.

I just wasn't sure if the post was about Kronwall having no business being on the power play or more that the kids should be out there because it's pre-season.

I don't really think Kronwall should be on the PP at this point. I get it if you're 0-3 on the night and looking for a spark. It is something he used to do and can do still a little, but I think at this point he isn't great at it. He has trouble with the speed of the modern PK guys too in my opinion.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't really think Kronwall should be on the PP at this point. I get it if you're 0-3 on the night and looking for a spark. It is something he used to do and can do still a little, but I think at this point he isn't great at it. He has trouble with the speed of the modern PK guys too in my opinion.
Kronwall should just retire. Only money reasons have him on the ice still. He is a shell of his former self on a rebuilding young team. There is literally no reason for him to still be out there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

There's certainly a risk if he turns the puck over because he won't have the speed to get back. But looking down our blueline I don't see many guys who can distribute the puck and get a shot off like Kronwall can, especially with Green out.

I'd still throw his hobbled ass out there over Dekeyser or Daley.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall should just retire. Only money reasons have him on the ice still. He is a shell of his former self on a rebuilding young team. There is literally no reason for him to still be out there.

Pretty easy to tell somebody else what to do with their life. Kronwall has given a lot to this organization. If he wants to see out the last year of his contract, he is more than welcome to.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Worst guy on the PP is Athanasiou at the moment who can't see anybody else from the unit. Selects stupid shots just by himself.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Has a little **** and vinegar in his game for sure. I have always liked that about him.
Was he the one who threw the hit and basically bounced off the LEafs player and fell on his ass?

(I'm not making an overall criticism of Hronek, that was just a funny play)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Was he the one who threw the hit and basically bounced off the LEafs player and fell on his ass?

(I'm not making an overall criticism of Hronek, that was just a funny play)

Might have been, I think I saw Hicketts just bounce off a Leafs player while stepping up.

But Hronek is always engaged around the net and has a bit of a nasty streak to him. Gives a lot of stick work too when you watch him play. He is not a fun guy to play against and I like that in a D-man, especially one that also has a real good skill set which I think he does have. Surprised he hasn't had a little better pre-season in all honesty.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
Why the f*** isn't our best offensive prospect, Zadina, in years not getting time on the PP?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pixie

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Might have been, I think I saw Hicketts just bounce off a Leafs player while stepping up.

But Hronek is always engaged around the net and has a bit of a nasty streak to him. Gives a lot of stick work too when you watch him play. He is not a fun guy to play against and I like that in a D-man, especially one that also has a real good skill set which I think he does have. Surprised he hasn't had a little better pre-season in all honesty.
I think it was Hicketts actually.

I definitely like our D-men to have more edge to them.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I'd believe that didn't go in if it was someone other than Dan "No Goal" O'Halloran making the call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad