Red Wings Lose Six Straight Games to Open Season for the First Time in Franchise History

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I refuse to feel bad for anyone who says "my team won too much" or "my team was successful for too long."
Good for you. Call me spoiled, but when you win four cups and go on deep runs, simply making it isn't good enough, and won't be good enough as an end goal once the rebuild starts to show results. To say I should be "happy" that we are behind the curve in that respect is misguided.

Reactions: ricky0034

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Obviously still very early but I have a hard time imagining a team finishing behind Detroit.

They are so, so bad.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This has been in the making since 2012 or so, and it's going to take a few years to shed some of Holland's dead weight contracts.

What do those contracts prevent Detroit from doing that they otherwise should be doing?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Of all the teams that are rebuilding I feel Detroit is in the best shape.Yes theyvare a few seasons out but Kenny is doing ok in full rebuild mode.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Holland's like "let's try this tank thing out!" like the old guy in an office in 1981 that just bought their first computer.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Better that than TANK TANK TANK OMG WE WON OMG OH NOES

Nah I still cheer for us to win every game. I’m just also not upset if we happen to lose because I understand the team is filled with rookies and the losses give us a chance at a potential star player that we desperately need. It’s really not that complicated and it makes going through a rebuild less painful.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Nah I still cheer for us to win every game. I’m just also not upset if we happen to lose because I understand the team is filled with rookies and the losses give us a chance at a potential star player that we desperately need. It’s really not that complicated and it makes going through a rebuild less painful.

That's fair, but there are some who seem to want the team (talking about the Habs here) to play the worst possible players and lose on purpose for a 1 in 5 chance at Hughes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We'll see. Detroit has some good young pieces in place already and have only entered year 1.5 or so of their rebuild. I'm not sure either of those guys will for sure be better than Zadina or what Larkin is becoming either. Ottawa also doesnt have their first this year which could be their most valuable asset they could have by the end of the season and are an absolute gong show of an organization with Melnyk in charge.

Even if Chabot and Tkachuk end up more valuable than Larkin and Zadina (which they might not), they wont end up more valuable than Detroits first rounder this year, Larkin and Zadina plus ownership who will pay players and make players want to stay there. Would the Illitches have ever considered letting Lidstrom walk away without throwing everything they could at him? No. Melnyk just did that with his version of Lidstrom

Chabot is a legitimate franchise D man. Tell me when you get one of those.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
What do those contracts prevent Detroit from doing that they otherwise should be doing?

I'm all in favor of a scorched-earth rebuild, and I'm not suggesting we should have or could have gone after a player like Tavares or Karlsson. But even if no better talent was or is realistically available, I think the contracts are problematic in terms of both how they reflect on Holland's ability to manage a roster and the expectations they set for the younger guys. If I was Athanasiou getting low-balled a few seasons back, I'd be indignant at seeing a bottom-six talent in Abdelkader getting 4.25M for seven years or whatever absurd duration Holland gave him.

With or without those contracts we're a bottom-feeder, but I don't think that makes them irrelevant. They still reflect on our GM and the state of the organization in my opinion.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Chabot is a legitimate franchise D man. Tell me when you get one of those.

We'll see if hes a franchise dman, I think hes a top pairing guy for sure but I'm not ready to call him a frnachise calibre guy yet. He had a very impressive world junior and has had a very impressive start this year. We'll see how all these guys pan out but its too early to say Tkachuk and Chabot are for sure better than Larkin and Zadina. Its definitely too early to say theyre better than whoever Detroit picks in the likely top 4 or 5 this year.

And its definitely too early to say any of that really matters when Ottawa has ownership who will refuse to pay a franchise dman anyways. Chabot wont be as good as Karlsson and Melnyk still let him get away in a complete gong show mishandling of the situation. I doubt Chabot/Tkachuk is ever as good a combo as Stone/Karlsson and what did that do for Ottawa? Stone is likely gone at the deadline this year as well. Does anyone really think Ottawa has a bright future while Melnyk is running things?

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
People said they were bound to decline back in 2010, and yet they made the playoffs every year until 2016-17. People said they should bottom out since 2015, and now here we are as they bottom out 3 years later.

I think Red wings fans should be happy to be behind the curve like this. They were more successful, and for longer, than anyone expected.

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone now. And it can't hurt too bad for Wings fans, who've enjoyed (objectively) one of the best franchises in pro sports for most of your lifetimes.
That is part of the problem.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Of all the teams that are rebuilding I feel Detroit is in the best shape.Yes theyvare a few seasons out but Kenny is doing ok in full rebuild mode.

To me the organization is completely depleted. Far from the best shape imo.

Outside of Larkin and Mantha and maybe Hronek I am not seeing too much core type talent. Zadina could get there. They definitely need to draft a couple cornerstones though. Jack Hughes would change things completely.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Good for you. Call me spoiled, but when you win four cups and go on deep runs, simply making it isn't good enough, and won't be good enough as an end goal once the rebuild starts to show results. To say I should be "happy" that we are behind the curve in that respect is misguided.

You are spoiled. And all the credit to your team for making you so.

That is part of the problem.

I will never understand this. Never. It might make sense to talk this way about some teams that were never contenders. Teams that were made up of garbage that hopefully could land a playoff spot, knowing that was all they would ever achieve. Like the lockout shortened Leafs team. But to say a borderline Dynasty continuing to win a bit past it's prime was a "problem"? Sheesh. How can people love failure so much?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Oh we suck right now thats for sure! But a lot of people here either just have no clue whats going on with the Wings or just run off at the mouth with out reading anything. We have some good young kids in the pipe right now, have 25 mil coming off the books at the end of this year, Holland will take the Seattle job in the off season, Stevie Y coming home to fix the old mans mess. It will be a few years but we are not nearly in the mess some of you hope so bad that we are.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
To me the organization is completely depleted. Far from the best shape imo.

Outside of Larkin and Mantha and maybe Hronek I am not seeing too much core type talent. Zadina could get there. They definitely need to draft a couple cornerstones though. Jack Hughes would change things completely.
Cholowski is better than Hronek right now, and potentially in the future.

You are spoiled. And all the credit to your team for making you so.
Okay, so what? My team has had a lot of success in my lifetime. I'm not going to throw it in your face but I'm not going to pretend just making the playoffs is some grand thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->