Red Wings Lose Six Straight Games to Open Season for the First Time in Franchise History

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't really feel bad for them. They're like that rich kid whose parents cut them out of the trust at 45 and get to see what life is like for common folk. They're a month into that experience.

We prefer to think of ourselves as the poor kids who grew up on failure, then had nothing but success from our 20s - 40s. But recently we had a really bad, manipulative agent and now we’re in our mid-life crisis figuring some things out. It looks dark now but the sun always shines the brightest after some extended days in the dark.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They were 7-1 in preseason though...

In all honesty, of course it was expected they'd be bad. But take out 3 or 4 of any team's top 4-5D and most teams struggle. It's not awesome when #6D Nick Jensen and a kid in his 4th NHL game are the top minute munchers on your defense.
Wings future is bright but they do need some high end talent and will hopefully get it in the 2019 draft. Add in Hughes or a top 3-5 pick, throw in Zadina and Veleno, see Cholowski, Hronek, Rasmussen etc. get more experience and the Wings will start showing some life again.

Ottawa has Chabot and Tkachuk who are superior to anyone in Detroits organization
They are both very promising but don't sleep on Cholowski who is looking legit. Larkin is probably a better building block than Tkachuk in overall impact, and even if Zadina needs a little adjustment he is a high, high upside players.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
People who cheer for tanking are awful. I love that there's a draft lottery and I'd make it even more of a lottery to finally kill this idiotic tanking meme once and for all.

Spoken like a real fan of a team that sucks at tanking. Enjoy being the 2012-2016 Wings for a decade.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The amazing thing about the team this year is that Holland didn't even try to tank. Injuries forced him into running an ideal tank roster of young players and terrible vets.

The guy can't even tank properly. Going into the season I was expecting another bottom five finish with a top-8 pick. The inadvertent tanking is both glorious and hilarious.

I hope he bolts for Seattle and Yzerman takes his place. Or a very smart monkey. Either would be an improvement.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ottawa has Chabot and Tkachuk who are superior to anyone in Detroits organization

We'll see. Detroit has some good young pieces in place already and have only entered year 1.5 or so of their rebuild. I'm not sure either of those guys will for sure be better than Zadina or what Larkin is becoming either. Ottawa also doesnt have their first this year which could be their most valuable asset they could have by the end of the season and are an absolute gong show of an organization with Melnyk in charge.

Even if Chabot and Tkachuk end up more valuable than Larkin and Zadina (which they might not), they wont end up more valuable than Detroits first rounder this year, Larkin and Zadina plus ownership who will pay players and make players want to stay there. Would the Illitches have ever considered letting Lidstrom walk away without throwing everything they could at him? No. Melnyk just did that with his version of Lidstrom

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
EU-tank-breaks-cover-_ES18D5_.jpg
I think it's a tank...

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
People said they were bound to decline back in 2010, and yet they made the playoffs every year until 2016-17. People said they should bottom out since 2015, and now here we are as they bottom out 3 years later.

I think Red wings fans should be happy to be behind the curve like this. They were more successful, and for longer, than anyone expected.

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone now. And it can't hurt too bad for Wings fans, who've enjoyed (objectively) one of the best franchises in pro sports for most of your lifetimes.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
People said they were bound to decline back in 2010, and yet they made the playoffs every year until 2016-17. People said they should bottom out since 2015, and now here we are as they bottom out 3 years later.

I think Red wings fans should be happy to be behind the curve like this. They were more successful, and for longer, than anyone expected.

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone now. And it can't hurt too bad for Wings fans, who've enjoyed (objectively) one of the best franchises in pro sports for most of your lifetimes.
I would rather have committed sooner to the rebuild and maybe get a head start on the whole "contending" step of the process. The Red Wings didn't get much out of simply making the playoffs after 2012. 2013 was the last time the Wings had a "meaningful" playoff run, and even then they were ousted in the second round.

This isn't on Blashill.

He isn't entirely blameless. The roster is bad, but the coaching has amplified the problems with it.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was expecting more funny tank commander gifs. Where are they?

Darryl Sutter himself said, "once Lidstrom retires, they're a normal franchise again"

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I would rather have committed sooner to the rebuild and maybe get a head start on the whole "contending" step of the process. The Red Wings didn't get much out of simply making the playoffs after 2012. 2013 was the last time the Wings had a "meaningful" playoff run, and even then they were ousted in the second round.

I refuse to feel bad for anyone who says "my team won too much" or "my team was successful for too long."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad