Red Wings in 10th - Time Is Now

RedWingsNow*

The Detroit Red Wings are listed in 10th on NHL.com.
They have 24 points. So do five other teams. But they've played more than all but Dallas, and Dallas has more wins..

None of this is a big deal if the Wings can get hot for two weeks and avoid any big slumps. And if the Wings can get healthy, we should get a bit of a push. The return of Flip, for example, should break up the debacle of Cleary-Datsyuk-Filppula.

The concerning part is that the Wings have played 13 at home vs 9 on the road.
We have two very winnable home games against Colorado and Edmonton and then a home and home vs Columbus.

We need 6 points, minimum, out of this.

After these next four games, the Wings will have had 16 home games vs 10 road games.
That means the second half of the season is going to be road heavy. So far, we're 3-7 on the road.

It starts with the three game western Canada swing. We return for one game vs Minnesota, and then we head out west again for four against the Ducks, Sharks and Coyotes.

The second half of March is going to be very tough for this team. April offers a more balanced scheduled (7 on the road, 6 at home)

Mike Babcock can keep ****ing around with Abdelkader on line 2 and the PP. If it we get less than 5 points in the next four games, I'll bet we miss the playoffs.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
But if we get hot, Babcock probably won't get fired...

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Dan Cleary here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Dan Cleary, in Detroit.

dan_cleary-x-large.jpg

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
2 points seperate 4th and 11th...I don't think it's the time to panic.

There's not really a team in that mix that has taken the ball and ran with it. The best teams in the conference are 3 division leaders. I do think the Kings are waking up and are emerging as the 4th best team. It's a big pile of mediocre fighting over 4 other spots.

The Wings can look solid on one night or in the back-to-backs and then go through a 2 or 3 game stretch where you want to blow this team up. You basically have to ride the waves until you get Bertuzzi and Helm back and we get to see this team as it was intended. You see them hang with Chicago and damn near knock them off...those are the games where you think the old girl still has it.

RedWingsNow*

There's not really a team in that mix that has taken the ball and ran with it. The best teams in the conference are 3 division leaders. I do think the Kings are waking up and are emerging as the 4th best team. It's a big pile of mediocre fighting over 4 other spots.

The Wings can look solid on one night or in the back-to-backs and then go through a 2 or 3 game stretch where you want to blow this team up. You basically have to ride the waves until you get Bertuzzi and Helm back and we get to see this team as it was intended. You see them hang with Chicago and damn near knock them off...those are the games where you think the old girl still has it.

The point is that if we don't take care of our home games against poor teams, it's going to be tough on these road swings,.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As long as I'm SoupNasty, you are The Flaming Captain. ;)

I'm simply pointing out that you can't have it both ways. If we make the playoffs, Babcock will probably stick around.

Babcock sticking around probably relies on him getting an extension right after the season, making the playoffs alone doesn't insure that. I would expect him to quit if they won't extend him.

RedWingsNow*

As long as I'm SoupNasty, you are The Flaming Captain. ;)

I'm simply pointing out that you can't have it both ways. If we make the playoffs, Babcock will probably stick around.

To me, it doesn't matter anymore. Babcock's time is up.
Tell me when the last time a coach went 5 years between Cups in the NHL on the same team?

Do you have a belief that Babcock is the guy who is going to not only turn the team around, but turn it into a Stanley Cup contender?

I don't.

I see a coach who knows he has a voice issue. And once it's gone, it's gone for good.

He'll be a great coach, but not with Detroit.

In the meantime, I still want to make the playoffs.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
To me, it doesn't matter anymore. Babcock's time is up.
Tell me when the last time a coach went 5 years between Cups in the NHL on the same team?

Do you have a belief that Babcock is the guy who is going to not only turn the team around, but turn it into a Stanley Cup contender?

I don't.

I see a coach who knows he has a voice issue. And once it's gone, it's gone for good.

He'll be a great coach, but not with Detroit.

In the meantime, I still want to make the playoffs.

What is the purpose of making the playoffs with a guaranteed first round exit? I think it would be better to tank it and join the lottery and hopefully get some kid that can make the team before hes 24.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
What is the purpose of making the playoffs with a guaranteed first round exit? I think it would be better to tank it and join the lottery and hopefully get some kid that can make the team before hes 24.

The problem is players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg will never let that happen. They are too talented and care too much about winning to allow the team to get that bad.

I remember seeing a video where Babcock saw Z and Datsyuk working out hours after everybody else went home and he asked them to slow down because they were playing the Blues tomorrow night. They responded by saying they were getting ready for the playoffs.

Players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg don't play for the regular season.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The point is that if we don't take care of our home games against poor teams, it's going to be tough on these road swings,.

I'm sure a game like tonight would probably be one of those games you speak of...

Crazy looking at the standings and seeing everyone from 3rd down to 14th...all within 3 wins/6 points of each other. It's such a small margin of error just because there aren't any teams out side of Chicago and Anaheim that are taking care of business. There's way too much inconsistency throughout the West. To pick on the Wings is to ignore the state of this collective conference. Put a small streak together like the Kings are doing and you can vault up the standings.

RedWingsNow*

If do everything you can to win and you lose, there's no shame in it.

But personally, I'm not sure I can try to lose.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

2 points separate, but you're not really thinking it through very well.

1. Wings have played a lot more home games than road games, and the Wing's road record is terrible.

2. Wings have played more games than pretty much every other team. So yeah, we're "in the race" but that's only because other teams have 1-3 games in hand on us. If they all played those games, we could be 4-6 points out of the playoffs, easily.

3. This is a shortened season, less time to make up points. We're almost 1/2 way through the season.

All that means is that looking at "2 points" and saying the Wings are right in it is stupidly deceptive. Wings are further out than that. They are benefiting from home games and more games played.

RedWingsNow*

I'm sure a game like tonight would probably be one of those games you speak of...

Crazy looking at the standings and seeing everyone from 3rd down to 14th...all within 3 wins/6 points of each other. It's such a small margin of error just because there aren't any teams out side of Chicago and Anaheim that are taking care of business. There's way too much inconsistency throughout the West. To pick on the Wings is to ignore the state of this collective conference. Put a small streak together like the Kings are doing and you can vault up the standings.

It's insane how far Chicago is out front. And Anaheim has put together a huge season. And after that it's everyone but Columbus.

The standings after 50 games are going to be tight. Not as tight as they are today.

But I can see 4th to 10th being decided by 5 or 6 points.

That's 3 wins deciding between home ice in the playoffs and sitting out all together.

You absolutely have to take care of business at home -- especially against lower teams. Because I don't think the Wings are suddenly going to become Road Warriors.

There are only three teams with a winning record on the road in the west... Chicago, Anaheim and St. Louis (who is struggling at home)

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Holland likes the fact that "Justin Abdelkader has gotten more responsibility during the rash of injuries.

Lol.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
List of all those bass turds that need to be fired according to Kap'n Bob's logic-

Dave Tippet
Daryl Sutter
Todd McClellan
Ken Hitchcock
Mike Yeo
Glen Gulutzen
Barry Trotz
Bob Hartley
Joe Sacko
Ralph Kruger

Screw them all. They all have their teams within four points of second to last place.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
List of all those bass turds that need to be fired according to Kap'n Bob's logic-

Dave Tippet

Firing Tippett was the biggest mistake Dallas has made in some time. Neither coach since has even come within a fraction of getting the best from the team.

When you fire a coach for the sake of change, all I'm saying is, be careful what you wish for. Lots of us following Dallas thought the team needed a change but it's been pretty miserable since and astonishingly clear it was the PLAYERS that were the problem. Cue all the core veterans being shipped out since and for the first time the team looks like they have a fighting chance under a far inferior coach to Tippett.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The better question is: When is the last time a coach has gone 5 years between Stanley Cups on the same team when he's lost talent every single year including 3 of their top 4 defensemen and replaced them with nothing.

It would be amazing how quickly Babcock would 'find his voice' if Holland got him some talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->