Red Wings head of scouting in Swedish Paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Longtime European scout HÃ¥kan Andersson had a few interesting comments when he gave his view of the lockout.

"The players have done a gigantic misstake and are sitting in the sh-it."

"Trusting Goodenow was probably the dummest thing they could do. His hardstance will punish them. I wouldn't be suprised if we end up with a hard cap at 32 million a year"

HÃ¥kan is described by the reporter as one of the scouts with the most influence from europe. Don't know if its true but he have been around a long time and have a unbelivable drafting record. But anyway the reporter says that he works closely with managment.

"This spring one of our biggest sponsors came to us and asked if we would play next winter. We could only say that nobody knows. He took his money else where."

"The longer this conflict goes on the less money the players are gooing to get."

"I was in North America a few weeks ago and asked a big agent if the players would accept the offer on the table, he said of his players 90% would accept it right away"

"I belive Bettman is really enjoying the moment right now. Things are really gooing like he wants it to"

Nothing earth shattering. But I thought id post it anyway... Management isn't talking so I guess this is as close you get to hear someone speaking their mind.

SENSible1*

Ola said:
Longtime European scout HÃ¥kan Andersson had a few interesting comments when he gave his view of the lockout.

"The players have done a gigantic misstake and are sitting in the sh-it."

"Trusting Goodenow was probably the dummest thing they could do. His hardstance will punish them. I wouldn't be suprised if we end up with a hard cap at 32 million a year"

HÃ¥kan is described by the reporter as one of the scouts with the most influence from europe. Don't know if its true but he have been around a long time and have a unbelivable drafting record. But anyway the reporter says that he works closely with managment.

"This spring one of our biggest sponsors came to us and asked if we would play next winter. We could only say that nobody knows. He took his money else where."

"The longer this conflict goes on the less money the players are gooing to get."

"I was in North America a few weeks ago and asked a big agent if the players would accept the offer on the table, he said of his players 90% would accept it right away"

"I belive Bettman is really enjoying the moment right now. Things are really gooing like he wants it to"

Nothing earth shattering. But I thought id post it anyway... Management isn't talking so I guess this is as close you get to hear someone speaking their mind.

Trusting Goodenow came naturally after the gains he had made over the past CBA. I don't blame the players for following Bob's foolish tactics, their loyalty made sense.

The majority of the blame falls on Goodenow for his monumental misread of the situation, with a healthy dose going to the other group the players trusted to look out for their interests--their agents. Part of the problem was the system that tied the agents livelyhood to Goodenow's whim, but the agents could have played a much more active role in pressuring Bob to get off his failed tactics. Even if they couldn't directly challenge Bob for fear of reprisal, they could have encouraged their players to step up the pressure on Bob. In addition, they should have been bombarding the PA bargaining committee directly or indirectly with alternative solutions and pressuring Goodenow to reveal his end game strategy.

I'm hoping some of the agents are aware enough of the opportunity presented by Goodenow weakened state to push for independant certification of agents, so that they can better look out for their clients interests in the next labour dispute. (hopefully to prevent it)

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Hockey people observing from outside the NHLPA come in on the same side as the guy you're quoting by a large margin. The PA position was almost indefensible from the start, and those who didn't have blindfolds on knew it. Old ex-players, European observers, ex-owners, the works... so few of them support the PA standpoint.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Crazy_Ike said:
Hockey people observing from outside the NHLPA come in on the same side as the guy you're quoting by a large margin. The PA position was almost indefensible from the start, and those who didn't have blindfolds on knew it. Old ex-players, European observers, ex-owners, the works... so few of them support the PA standpoint.

I agree. I've changed my opinion allot on the way too. I am not saying it would have looked any diffrent. But was it really necessary by Bettman to stay at the 31 M cap he presented 2 years ago so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->